Potassium, calcium and non-calorie intake goals

Options
kc_lea
kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new, though I've used MFP in the past. This is more of a "wtf!" moment for me than a question, but maybe someone out there has some input: I was under the impression that I eat "fairly healthy". I don't eat much processed food, and I wanted to start using MFP again to lose some weight knowing that my portions are definitely too big and probably my macros are off, particular because I have some significant fitness goals that I want to tackle (running). It's been good so far! I'm enjoying tracking.

I was playing with the Reports today and took a look at my iron, potassium and calcium for the past few days that I've been tracking and was shocked to see how much lower than the daily goals they were! It's crazy! For example: At breakfast, I generally have 2 cups of spinach in a banana/blueberry smoothie, and a robust salad for lunch. I expected that on the sheer veg intake alone I'd be set for most nutrients, but no. Nope. Not even close. 3500 mg of potassium a day?! How the heck...? Also, I've started taking a multi-vitamin because as a woman I probably, definitely, should not have this low an iron intake.

Anyway, the real point is: When I think about dieting, I often think of calories and macros. But now I am learning that it's also about eating for nutrient density. Tbh, I was ready to pat myself on the back for a job well done before I saw these reports, and now I'm just laughing at myself. Kat: 0, MFP: 1.

Replies

• TimothyIrvine
    TimothyIrvine Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LOL. I am glad you are finding MFP and other newer techs to track nutrition useful. Be sure to check out the "sticky" top posts and FAQs on MFP.

I think a multivitamin morning and evening, plus specific vitamins at night are really useful.

I'm writing a little post now about what to use besides bananas for potassium intake (since I want to cut my carbs and sugar from bananas....I eat like 2-3 a day...). There are lots of useful posts n such like that on here if you don't find what you need in the sticky posts / FAQs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    The food entries (most of them) are entered by MFP users. Since Potassium is not a required nutrient on food labels, a lot of the entries are lacking the true amount.

Either enter your own food into the database using verified (by USDA or other reputable) sources, or find the ones that have it. I've gotten most of my entries tweaked now, but it's time consuming.

Potassium is not a significant health issue in First World countries, and if you are eating a lot of vegetables, I'm sure you're fine.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't worry about potassium. My goal is to have at least 1:1 ratio. Ex: If I eat 3,000 mg of sodium, I make sure I get at least 3,000 potassium. Since you avoid processed foods, you are probably low in sodium.
    More important to me is magnesium. 80% of Americans are deficient. Not sure why potassium is even mentioned here. I take magnessium at night and it helps me sleep.