Inexpensive weightlifting shoe recommendations

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Second the Wei Rui for a real lifting shoe that is cheap. I now wear Reebok Crossfit for squats, and Vans for deadlifts and other flat foot lower body work. The crossfit has a hard bottom with a slightly lifted heel, but it isn't as heavy as some of the other lifting shoes out there. It's an excellent choice for women. For upper/bench, I wear whatever is closest to me, either my runners or Vans.

Do you actually have the Wei Rui and chose the Reebok over them? Just curious because I think the Wei Rui actually has a full .75in heel.

I've been benching in my Nike Romaleos. At first I preferred my chucks for bench but I've gotten used to the heel. Plus they are so darn expensive, if I can use them for two lifts that'd be nice.

I think the Reebok have a .75in heel too. (Or did you mean Wei Ruis are same height but cheaper?) I love my Reeboks. I think they are super ugly, reminding me of orthopedic bowling shoes, but they are comfortable and help me a lot with squatting.
  • violetvixen89
    violetvixen89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm gonna use all of your suggestions and see what works for me. I wore vans today and felt a difference, but I did better squats with my chucks in the past. I must have read over a hundred articles about the importance of good shoes and just wanted real people opinions to back up some of what I read.

As for the trainer, i worked with a trainer when I first started weightlifting two years ago in order to make sure my form was perfect. So I've already got that down. Im just looking into better shoes now that won't be too uncomfy because I do have a foot and knee injury that I have to be careful about.

Thanks again everyone! :):)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Second the Wei Rui for a real lifting shoe that is cheap. I now wear Reebok Crossfit for squats, and Vans for deadlifts and other flat foot lower body work. The crossfit has a hard bottom with a slightly lifted heel, but it isn't as heavy as some of the other lifting shoes out there. It's an excellent choice for women. For upper/bench, I wear whatever is closest to me, either my runners or Vans.

Do you actually have the Wei Rui and chose the Reebok over them? Just curious because I think the Wei Rui actually has a full .75in heel.

I've been benching in my Nike Romaleos. At first I preferred my chucks for bench but I've gotten used to the heel. Plus they are so darn expensive, if I can use them for two lifts that'd be nice.

I think the Reebok have a .75in heel too. (Or did you mean Wei Ruis are same height but cheaper?) I love my Reeboks. I think they are super ugly, reminding me of orthopedic bowling shoes, but they are comfortable and help me a lot with squatting.

I'm like 95% sure the Reebok don't have the full .75 heel. Lemme check.
  • arditarose
    Options

Oh yeah I'm confusing the Reebok with the Powerlifts.

You like them? Mark Bell is always raving about them but he is sponsored by Reebok so..
  • louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Inov-8 Fastlift shoes I purchased from Amazon. The heals are raised and are solid. They added a lot of stability to my deadlifts and especially my squats. Love them and did not know what I was missing when I using running shoes.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I wore the Wei Rui for 2 years and replaced them with the Crossfit. The heel height is the same. The difference is in the more flexible toe box in the Crossfit. The Wei Rui feels more like wood from heel to toe where the Crossfit is a hard composite plastic with a bend at the ball of the foot. But the heel height is 3/4". The color combo makes it look shorter, but it is the same as the Wei Rui, when held up to each other.

I don't regulation bench, but prefer the very flat heel that I can press into when I bench. Everyone has different body mechanics, and if I paid for Romaleos, I'd probably want to wear them for more than just squats.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Oh yeah I'm confusing the Reebok with the Powerlifts.

You like them? Mark Bell is always raving about them but he is sponsored by Reebok so..

I do. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Crossfit Lifter 2.0 . Keep in mind that squatting is my most difficult lift so any little thing that helps, I'll take it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    (1) for squats and oly lifts try Wei Rui. They're around $65 and work fine. I still have my old pair. They're not great but do the job.
    (2) Chucks are fine for deadlifts and other lifts where you need flat contact with the ground. I find them far from ideal, though, and wrestling shoes or barefoot work just as well if not better for me.
    (3) Quality weightlifting shoes will last years. I own a pair of Adipowers that I use for squats, cleans and atlas stone work, and I love them.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like Skechers. Best gym shoes I have bought, and I have been through my fair share.
  • arditarose
    Options

I wore the Wei Rui for 2 years and replaced them with the Crossfit. The heel height is the same. The difference is in the more flexible toe box in the Crossfit. The Wei Rui feels more like wood from heel to toe where the Crossfit is a hard composite plastic with a bend at the ball of the foot. But the heel height is 3/4". The color combo makes it look shorter, but it is the same as the Wei Rui, when held up to each other.

I don't regulation bench, but prefer the very flat heel that I can press into when I bench. Everyone has different body mechanics, and if I paid for Romaleos, I'd probably want to wear them for more than just squats.

Thank you for that. You don't get to try on a lot of these shoes so it's nice to hear the comparison. I was luckily able to try on the Adipowers before I made my decision. Really disliked them so had to go with the more expensive Nikes. My squats will never be the same. They are a dream.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i just wear chucks.
  • arditarose
    Options
    (1) for squats and oly lifts try Wei Rui. They're around $65 and work fine. I still have my old pair. They're not great but do the job.
    (2) Chucks are fine for deadlifts and other lifts where you need flat contact with the ground. I find them far from ideal, though, and wrestling shoes or barefoot work just as well if not better for me.
    (3) Quality weightlifting shoes will last years. I own a pair of Adipowers that I use for squats, cleans and atlas stone work, and I love them.

Lately I've been thrown off by my chucks when I'm deadlifting. All I can focus on is my toes feeling squished. I don't know if I'm just wearing them too small, or if my sumo stance is making them feel that way or what. But they literally give me anxiety so I've been going bare foot.

I think I'm going to try a larger size, a pair of wrestling shoes. I might just continue barefoot and use slippers for competition.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Lately I've been thrown off by my chucks when I'm deadlifting. All I can focus on is my toes feeling squished. I don't know if I'm just wearing them too small, or if my sumo stance is making them feel that way or what. But they literally give me anxiety so I've been going bare foot.

I think I'm going to try a larger size, a pair of wrestling shoes. I might just continue barefoot and use slippers for competition.

With all the talk of Chucks I've heard over the years, I finally bought some a few months ago. I'm honestly baffled as to why they're so popular. The soles are really thick and they can shift under weight. I agree with your point on sumo stance deads. I find them unsuited for that. I have noticed that as I've broken them in that the stability has improved somewhat. Maybe like my running shoes (Nike FS lights now and NIke Frees before), the more I beat them up the more I'll like them. I do like the high tops for farmer's carries but I found the shifting happened during those too (I'm wearing them in my profile picture).
  • arditarose
    Options

With all the talk of Chucks I've heard over the years, I finally bought some a few months ago. I'm honestly baffled as to why they're so popular. The soles are really thick and they can shift under weight. I agree with your point on sumo stance deads. I find them unsuited for that. I have noticed that as I've broken them in that the stability has improved somewhat. Maybe like my running shoes (Nike FS lights now and NIke Frees before), the more I beat them up the more I'll like them. I do like the high tops for farmer's carries but I found the shifting happened during those too (I'm wearing them in my profile picture).

They're what I started with, so I thought they were fine. But once I got serious about competing and saw that my ankles looked like crap, and I wasn't hitting depth, I was over them-for squatting at least. I will never go back.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

The nice thing about wrestling shoes in particularly if you sumo is the non slip grip compared to socks.
    I still prefer barefoot overall, but wrestling shoes really conform to your feet nicely.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Water shoes - I got mine a few years ago at WalMart for $5. Still deadlifting in them. Can be used for any other lift, as well.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

The nice thing about wrestling shoes in particularly if you sumo is the non slip grip compared to socks.
    I still prefer barefoot overall, but wrestling shoes really conform to your feet nicely.

Yeah! The socks have felt slippery too. I might order a pair today. Still considering just a deadlifting slipper though.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    converse-chuck-taylor-all-stars_1.jpg

^^These. Go to any lifting meet, and you'll see more Chucks than all other brands of shoes combined.
  • Antonia_I
    Antonia_I Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wore chucks for a while, but I didn't really like them, so I started going barefoot. Worked fine for a while, but when I decided I wanted to focus on a deeper squat, I bought these. I find them to be very comfortable and really helped my squat depth.

http://www.adidas.com/us/powerlift-2.0-shoes/B39860.html
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine a shoe making any difference. I wear Nike free 3.0s or whatever running shoes I'm in at the time.

Then you need to do more research. Weight lifting shoes generally have a raised stiffer heels which improves squating ability depending of the persons leg proportions. I myself can squat deeper and heavier when wearing shoes with raised heels since it takes the strain off my hamstrings and significantly reduces my butt wink