What am I doing wrong?

Options
I see a lot of success stories for people who have lost weight fast. I started on my lifestyle change journey on 09/2015 and have lost 20 pounds to date. While I can see improvements and I know I'm doing it the healthy way, how are other people able to lose 20 pounds in 4 months or 5 months and it has taken me 10 months?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You can't compare your loss to anyone else's. If you want faster loss, depending on how many calories you're eating now, you could create a larger deficit and see what happens.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The only thing you are doing wrong is comparing yourself to others.

Some people have a lot to lose so they are able to lose faster at first.

Some people aren't going about it in a healthy manner. The last thread I read in the success story forum the person lost a large amount in a short time period by eating 500 calories a day. I can't say I would be envious of anyone doing it that way.

If you really feel like you could be improving what you are doing I would suggest asking for some feedback on your logging habits.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fat you are at the start. I dropped 20# in a month easy because I was over 300#. Now I've lost 4# in 6 months (140 down to 136).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I made significant changes in quantity and types of food that I eat when I realized how much I was overeating. I also changed my activity or fitness level (running). It was when I combined the two that I saw rapid results. I never starved myself and always ate most of my calories back. It is a slow and steady approach. Just focus on losing weight each and every week but not on how much. Over time it will all work out. You need to get your body ready to maintain when you get there. That is why this is more about lifestyle change than a diet.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of success stories for people who have lost weight fast. I started on my lifestyle change journey on 09/2015 and have lost 20 pounds to date. While I can see improvements and I know I'm doing it the healthy way, how are other people able to lose 20 pounds in 4 months or 5 months and it has taken me 10 months?

Congrats on your 20lb weight loss. I'd invite you to experiment with only comparing your progress to yourself. Where are you now and where would you like to be? What does your current Nutrition and Fitness Plan look like?
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You can't really compare yourself to others. I started out at 258.9 with like 120 lbs to lose. I have been logging for just over 3 weeks and have lost a total of 14 lbs. If I had never told you my original weight, you would look at my loss and think that there is something wrong with your weight loss. I will lose weight faster than some because I have so much to lose. As I lose more though,l and get closer to my goal, it will not be that way. Any loss is something to celebrate. The fact that you were able to adjust things and lose 20 lbs over the course of 10 months is great!!!