Can't stay within my calories

Options
I need some help and suggestions. I always start off the day doing great and I'm on pace with my calorie target however as the day goes on I tend go over my calories and then I just stop logging. I really need to lose about 80 pounds but I don't know how to curve this over eating. Can someone please give me some guidance. I'm also diabetic type two.

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So what is your starting weight and what do you have your calorie intake set to?

What is it that's making you overeat? Is it because you're hungry or boredom or habit?
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Pre plan what you are going to eat the day before and stick with it. Leave yourself a few calories for a treat in the evening.
  • fab_ab19
    fab_ab19 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to plan my meals and prep ahead as much as I can. I would also suggest logging all the food you eat regardless of whethet you go over or not, that way you will be fully accountable and will want to do better the next day. Plus add as many friends as you can (which is what I am trying to do) and express your ups and downs. We're all here for the same goals and need as much help as we can get. You are not alone.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree with prelogging and especially logging when you are over... If I stopped logging when I went over, I would sabotage myself so that I would get more treats (I am kind of simple in that epicurian way)

Sometimes I slow my weight loss down, just so I don't fall completely off the wagon. It buys me enough calories to not feel deprived... Staying on 1200 for a long time is super rough for me.

The thing that helped me most was adjusting macros for less carbs and more fat... I am not saying it is a cure-all, or that carbs are bad or anything, just that for me, eating carbs creates a cycle of craving food. The less carbs I eat in a day, the easier I find the day. I do still love pasta and bread, so I haven't given them up, I just know the day will be harder if I indulge...

So, there might just be foods that work similarly for you...

I wish you luck.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Pre-log. Stop doing that. If you want it, you'll do it.

Ask yourself WHY you are going over calories. Do you not care? Are you hungry? Then figure out how to fix it.
  • tanyadenise1974
    tanyadenise1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am hungry, and when I go over, I feel guilty so I will eat more. I think I'm eating the wrong things. I just started this so hopefully I will do better! Thanks for the feed back!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I am hungry, and when I go over, I feel guilty so I will eat more. I think I'm eating the wrong things. I just started this so hopefully I will do better! Thanks for the feed back!

There you go. You have to find a way of eating that is filling to you. For me it's high volume, high protein, moderate fat, low carb. But it's not the same for everyone. Play around with your macro nutrients a bit. Try drinking tea or have low calorie snacks on hand to tide you over before your next meal, etc.
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had similar problems in the past and I know my weakness is eating too many calories in the evening. So I make sure to eat light early in the day when It's easier for me and then I will have enough calories left to cover what I eat late. That's the idea anyway, some times I go over my limit but I do feel like it's important to log it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I have had similar problems in the past and I know my weakness is eating too many calories in the evening. So I make sure to eat light early in the day when It's easier for me and then I will have enough calories left to cover what I eat late. That's the idea anyway, some times I go over my limit but I do feel like it's important to log it.

I do the same. And I always pre-log a dessert. Helps me stay in line during the day because I really like having food late at night, and I never think it's worth it to pick up the extra calories then.