Diet plans and help

Options
I have been calorie counting for a while on and off but I really struggle. Most my calories are made up of high sugar foods, which obviously isn't great!

My boyfriend and his family have started the 5:2 diet but 2 days of fasting doesn't sound good to me. Can anyone recommend diet plans you have followed and what results you got?

I work out 4-5 times a week for 60+ minutes a time and I am wanting to lose a stone.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just eat below your maintenance calories each day and aim for a well-rounded diet.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No diet plan necessary. Eat a healthy, balanced diet of protein, fat, and carbs. Eat a calorie deficit of about 20% or so under maintenance calories. Cut out high sugar foods, they have no nutritional benefit at all. Watch the weight come off. I've lost 45 pounds doing this :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds following the information below:

Have you had a chance yet to read any of the Most Helpful Posts ( must reads ) stickied at the top of each forum section? There's some great info there, especially on the Getting Started and General Diet boards.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

And

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

The basics are:

Eat foods that you like in portion sizes that fit your goals.

Get plenty of fats & protein for health and satiety.

Get plenty of fruits & veggies for the micronutrients.

Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs, sweets, and treats as you see fit.

You may find as you progress that there are some foods you don't consider worth the calories, but that's going to be highly individual. Start logging for a few days and make changes as you go along until you find what works best for you.

Do some exercise if you can. And some kind of resistance or strength training if you can. Any movement can help, so pick whatever program or activity you enjoy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,704 Member
    Options
    +1 to @diannethegeek's post.

Also, use your diary as the powerful tool it can be, to gradually create your own "diet plan" (try to think of it as "a new way of eating" rather than a temporary "diet plan").

Log everything - good, bad or ugly.

At least every few days, review your diary. Look for foods that are not worth their calorie "cost", in terms of their nutrition, satiation, or tastiness to you. Replace or reduce those foods, and substitute other foods you like that better meet your goals.

After any day that you consider to have gone badly, review your diary and think about why: Stress? Emotions? Boredom? Lack of good sleep? Trigger foods? Influence from other people? Difficult situations? Something else?

For any "why" factor you can control or influence (or change your attitude about), write a new script in your head about how to avoid the situation, or handle it differently next time. Next time, try the new strategy. Other than that, don't beat yourself up about it in any way - minimum drama.

Rinse and repeat. And repeat . . . .
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    What helps me is eating protein, fat & fiber within my calorie goal for the day. That keeps me full.

I know on days I eat carbs (which I do from time to time) I totally don't get full and what to eat everything in site.