Anyone here every heard of the Feingold Diet

Options
It was developed in the 1970's to reduce and prevent ADD and ADHD symptoms in kids. It's basically taking away all artificial colors, flavors and preservatives from your diet, eliminating petro-chemicals.

Our kids are on it so we're basically on it but it's hard to go lo cal and not use any artificial sweeteners.

Anyone else here trying to lose weight and Feingold at the same time?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not on that diet (and hadn't heard about it before), but I basically follow those principles you mentioned. I don't find it hard at all because I cook a lot of my meals from scratch and eat foods that have naturally occurring flavors and colors and are preserved using techniques like freezing, drying and canning. Storebought pickled food can be tricky, but I don't think avoiding something 100% is a reasonable goal. I use sugar, honey and maple syrup as sweeteners.

I'm down 50 pounds and have kept them off for 21 months - the longest time I've ever had a stable weight, lol.
  • laoighse
    laoighse Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Feingold also eliminates casein and gluten if I remember correctly. Pretty restrictive?
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to discover that children who eat organic produce don't have insecticide in their systems. Insecticide is a strong nerve agent and is one of the major causes of Attention Defecit Dissorder. So I'd advise getting yourself a vegetable garden as well as jettisoning the packets.
    I agree with the person who recommends fruit sugars to sweeten food.
    Drink water - it tastes far better than any artificially made drink and doesn't need to be sweetened.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    I was shocked to discover that children who eat organic produce don't have insecticide in their systems. Insecticide is a strong nerve agent and is one of the major causes of Attention Defecit Dissorder. So I'd advise getting yourself a vegetable garden as well as jettisoning the packets.
    Drink water - it tastes far better than any artificially made drink and doesn't need to be sweetened.

Organic producers still use insecticides/herbicides/fertilisers.....
  • LannyMixon
    LannyMixon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    laoighse wrote: »
    Feingold also eliminates casein and gluten if I remember correctly. Pretty restrictive?

Not so much casein and gluten as it does salicylates, the sals are big triggers for our kids.
  • LannyMixon
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »

We have a large garden each summer producing a lot of our own foods, have hundreds of jars put up from the growing season in spring and early summer. A couple of months and we'll put in the winter greens (kale, rape, turnips and collards).
  • LannyMixon
    Options
    I really believe our family is much, healthier, despite my weight not being where it should be, by going to clean eating. Before Fiengold my kids were at the doctor almost monthly, we have not had a sick kid doctor visit in 21 months.