Are Pull ups required ?

Options
2»

Replies

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Is a big back for you meaning wide? Or thick? Lat pulls downs, rows, and bent over side lat pulls will give a wide back without doing pull ups. If you want a thick back then add bent over rows and dead lifts. As for pull ups, you should still do them even if they are assisted. Eventually your back will be strong enough you can do them.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They're absolutely required. We'll keep you out of the weekly meetings if you don't get your act together, Asrar.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    A question about these pull-ups ... are they possible if a person has a shoulder with a tendency toward chronic subluxation?
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    not required 100%, I never did Pull ups until I built my back up, try T Bar rows and lat pull downs, and really squeezing the back.....work it out for a few sessions then try....Also people tend to forget Back is the biggest muscle so if you leave it to a Friday- my back will be well used within the week so will be more fatigued.....(last session of the week for me) as I have family commitments on weekend...so sat/Sunday is rest day....
    Try doing biggest muscle in first couple of days after rest.
  • EdB9992015
    EdB9992015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As others have said you can use the assisted machine or the lat pull down for a vertical row if you can’t manage your whole body weight (I’m in the same boat at the moment until I sort my excess pie problem).
    For a good back work I find I really need to incorporate both some form of vertical (pull up, lat pull-down etc) as well as horizontal row motions (dumb/bar bell row/ seated cable row etc).
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    lmao this made me laugh this morning...
    Pull ups are required for urinary incontinence. (sorry - couldn't help myself.) And, if people with big backs do pull ups, do people with small backs do diapers? (sorry again - feel free to delete)

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I do pull ups everyday every workout just love them and they do make your back Jacked!! Rings are great too, rope climbing I use various attachments and once you can hold your legs out vertical you can really zap your core
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been working on pull ups by jumping, catching the bar, and pulling myself up. I can usually manage one more after that from ALMOST a dead stop. My goal is to be able to do a few from a dead stop at bottom, but for now I'm proud of myself. Pretty handy move for when I'm swinging through the jungle and whatnot :smile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, yes. But that's cause I love them. Weighted pull-ups are a staple.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    When I started lifting again, I could not do one. I worked on heavy rows and pulldowns. I can now do 5-6 strict form pullups. Negatives will help you build the strength, along with other back exercises that I mentioned. Also, do some inverted rows. If you have access to an assisted pullup machine, use it as well. I also lost 27 lbs. which for me made a big difference, as it's less weight I have to pull. I don't believe there is any single exercise that will help you build a wide back like pullups. Lat pulldowns would be my number two choice.

I'm cutting at the moment. I do rows and pulldowns, I try to target the back from all angles
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Required no. The biggest bodybuilding backs in the world can barely do 4-5 pullsup because of weight (250lbs and up). They do a lot of pulldowns though.

So, at 264# and not working out, I shouldn't be embarrassed that I can't do one?

You should not be embarrassed, we all start somewhere.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    When I started lifting again, I could not do one. I worked on heavy rows and pulldowns. I can now do 5-6 strict form pullups. Negatives will help you build the strength, along with other back exercises that I mentioned. Also, do some inverted rows. If you have access to an assisted pullup machine, use it as well. I also lost 27 lbs. which for me made a big difference, as it's less weight I have to pull. I don't believe there is any single exercise that will help you build a wide back like pullups. Lat pulldowns would be my number two choice.

I'm cutting at the moment. I do rows and pulldowns, I try to target the back from all angles

Another good exercise is straingt arm cable pulldowns. Really good for hitting lats.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Required, no. Recommended, ohhhh yes.

Even if you can't do them yet, just practice trying to pull yourself up the bar and eventually you'll get that first rep and you'll feel awesome. Pullups are definitely one of the strongest calisthenics upper body exercises.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    are they really required or can I just do rows and lat pulldowns.

Lat pulldowns are in the same class of movement (a vertical pull) and are easier to incrementalize.
    (Rows are a horizontal pull, so not in the same class).

You don't have to do pull-ups, but you "have" to do a vertical pull. So do whatever exercise you can, and get stronger.
  • gc384
    gc384 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Get 2 chairs, 1 strong broomstick, lay flat on your back between the chairs (beneath the bar, like a benchpress). Then do x3 sets of 10 pull ups (chest to bar).

After a few weeks youll be able to start doing proper pull ups from a mounted bar. Remember to 'hang' so your body isnt moving after each pull up (my pet hate seeing guys swinging around using momentum lol). Try hanging for 3 seconds after each pull up, then when 'up', hold the position for at least 1 second....builds good form and technique.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add that a Proper form pull up is much more difficult than just getting your chin above the bar or kicking your legs up to create momentum. Eyes high and moving elbows back like you were going to put them in your back pockets always helps me stay true to the pull up. It is a back exercise going out of form builds great biceps..lol..
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    A question about these pull-ups ... are they possible if a person has a shoulder with a tendency toward chronic subluxation?

I'm hypermobile with my shoulders being very "mobile" and I'm getting there. I did have to do a lot of strengthening work with the lat pull down first and this month I started using the assisted pull down machine. Before I did the strengthening work it felt like my shoulders were dislocating (admitedly I did also weigh more), but now it doesn't.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    IMO, pull ups are a great way to measure your true strength and thus should be incorporated into your back routine. Palms away, chin ups and military (arms parallel) all have their place in a full back workout. As previously stated if you are unable to do them on your own utilize negatives or the pull up assist machine.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Required no. The biggest bodybuilding backs in the world can barely do 4-5 pullsup because of weight (250lbs and up). They do a lot of pulldowns though.

So, at 264# and not working out, I shouldn't be embarrassed that I can't do one?

You should not be embarrassed, we all start somewhere.

I just found the assisted pull up machine at my new gym. Pull ups have ALWAYS been my problem. In my prime I had trouble doing more than 7. Can't do any now. So, I start on the assisted machine at half my body weight and did 6. When I get to ten, I'll lower the assistance and re-start until I get to ten again and then repeat. I'll get to ten unassisted pull ups someday ;-)

You can only do what you can do, but you can always work to improve.