I'm not a runner.. Cardio ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• calleefrances
    calleefrances Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @jinny1313 Don't forget the role that weight training plays in losing fat! the more nice lean muscle in your body, the less cardio you have to do to burn fat.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love rollerblading!
  • Ghostlight1
    Ghostlight1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings are great for cardio. If you have knee problems this is great as well. Living in an upstairs apartment they make no noise at all.
  • jinny1313
    jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to interval train with running? Again, I'm not looking to do anything long distance
  • Spartan557
    Spartan557 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jump rope, nice and easy pretty low impact. Nice calfwork too
  • robertamax1
    robertamax1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started spin and I love it. Have to find the right motivating instructor and environment though. I like the cold dark classes (I get hot).
  • mdrolle
    mdrolle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't stand treadmill or bikes, or elliptical for that matter, but during my hiit I am usually at 90% with my HRM. If you don't have one, you might consider getting one. Guarantee you'll get a great cardio workout if you do a simple routine of the following: jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, jump lunges, and burpees. Makes it easy if you get a tabata app, set it for a one minute warmup and 15 rounds, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. Do all the exercises above at a moderate level for your warmup, switching on a count of ten (for the warmup this will be you counting the seconds). For the 15 rounds, do the, at maximum effort. If you tally up actual time spent it is only 8.5 minutes, but you should feel like it's been a lot more if you are at max effort.
  • jinny1313
    jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again for these amazing ideas! I got so stuck on the small circuits I've been doing that I've been a bit blind to the other ideas out there.

What are the best apps to get that help with training ideas and instruction? I also love the idea of the app that does the HIIT timing :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and swim, dance, take classes, etc.

Working out in an apartment when you live upstairs is not appropriate.
  • reckless1976mj
    reckless1976mj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Roller skate!! I play roller derby, and skate whenever I can...trails, rinks, tracks. Not only is it low impact, but you burn upwards of 400+calories an hour. It's fun, easy, and I've never seen anyone unhappy skating!!
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    jinny1313 wrote: »
    I'll admit, I know running is great cardio, and cycling.. I dislike both. I've previously done kickboxing and martial arts for cardio but am looking for good cardio ideas for apartment living. Also trying to get into at least interval running, otherwise I get too bored! Thanks all for the help :)
    If you're an Insanity Max 30 fan, it's on sale today on Amazon.
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate running, but I play all sorts of sports to get in my cardio. I don't realize I'm chasing after a soccer ball or diving to get a volleyball. I'm sportsaholic though and I love it!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    burpees, you can do them at home, you can do them any time. Low impact and are fantastic.
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with RECKLESS1976MJ ! 10 years ago( when I turned 40) I weighted around 220, and I'm only 5' 5". I started roller skating, and cut all the dairy, and soda out of my diet. It took me almost a year, but I got down to 140!! Unfortunately, I had to step away from skating, because I had 3 vertebra's, and 2 disc's removed from C3 to C5, and gained 40 pounds back over the last 5 to 6 years.
    Now I'm 50, and spend most of my time sewing, or on the back of the hubbies Harley, and boy is it easy to pack on the pounds when your going out to eat all the time. A few weeks ago a friend took some photos of us, and after seeing them, I asked my hubby if my butt was really that big, well.... he's a good man, and only said " dear, you've always looked good to me" ( good come-back!.), So I decided that once riding season is over, it's back to the rink I go! I'm not always good at logging in my caloric intake here on MFP, but skating is fun, and it burns about 882 calories an hour( for someone @ 180 lb's).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    Get a bicycle and go cycling! :)

Rent a kayak now and then for something different to do.

Hike all the trails within an hour or two of where you live.

If you live in a multi-story apartment building, climb stairs.

Look into buying a rowing machine ... you might try one at a gym first to see if you like doing that.

Join a gym and try out the various cardio equipment to see what you like doing.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    YouTube Dance Fitness (I like Jessica Bass)- there are so many videos targeted at different skill levels and so many use current pop music, so it's super fun. You can always make the dance moves lower impact in order to protect your neighbors from the noise. I also love kickboxing and own Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire and love them both... I used to live in an apartment and did the same thing with those; if there was jumping, I did squats or something. You can make almost anything work!