Anyone else Post Injury / Surgery? Seeking for friends for the recovery trip!

Options
A few months ago I tore my ACL, and almost 4 weeks ago I had my surgery to reconstruct it using hamstring. I'm recovering, already doing physical therapy, looking towards being okay-ed to start using the stationary bike. And to further help my recover I've once again restarted my MFP journey.

I was wondering if there are others around here who are in recovery mode after any sort of injury or surgery, trying to loose with minimal exercises and mainly concentrating on cutting calories. I'm dying to workout, but I am months away from doing a good workout, which is somewhat driving me crazy, so I thought - hey, maybe there are others in the same boat out there.

If you are, or if you've been through something like this - I'd love to become MFP buddies for support and stimulation! :)

Replies

• MaryLuvsTheLamb
    MaryLuvsTheLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am not post injury or post surgery, however, I have crippling arthritis in my legs, knees and feet and am basically unable to do anything for exercise due to the excruciating pain. I'm only able to do some very light leisurely walking around my house. However, having been very strict with my calories in/calories out, I have lost 13.6 lbs in 7 weeks. Losing weight without exercise can be done. You just have to be very strict with your CICO. Feel free to add me if you like. My first mini-goal is 53 lbs and my ideal goal is 100 lbs. Best wishes on your recovery and your weight loss!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    total knee replacement..can't do all the things I use to do but, I don't let it get in my way of my workout. I push as hard as I can.
  • a_m_c
    a_m_c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 surgeries in less than a year. My post recent was my left knee, I had a cracked me cap, torn meniscus, cleaned up the cartlidge and tighten my knee bands. I am in PT and doing pretty well with that! I am just looking forward to riding my bike on the greenway, walking, and just general movement without knee pain.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    36 years old and 6 weeks out of a total knee replacement. I started the bike again last week and lifting (upper body only), and I plan on getting a timeline from the doc for lower body. I can already tell my knee is better and stronger, but I have to be careful not to overdue it. My range of motion is lacking at this point, which is to be expected. I am only at about 95 degrees for bending, so my goal is to get to 120. From that point on, it's time to get back to it. Feel free to friend me!!
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Adding you~

I'm currently at 90 when my knee is cold, 110 when I've warmed up.Today I've got my 4-week checkup, and after that PT with the first stationary bike session.
  • ceceblackstock327
    ceceblackstock327 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tore my acl in October, I had acl repair in January using patella tendon graft.. Lost almost 50lbs now through mostly diet, and now starting to be able to work out... It's doable!
  • Yivs_87
    Options
    I opted out of the patella tendon and went for hamstring. With my health luck the recent one year I concluded that I might very end up with a screwed up patella for life lol x'D
  • RijbroekBride
    RijbroekBride Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've got hyper mobility disorder and my knees dislocate regularly, as does my elbow. You can shed calories without exercise but it does take longer. The most important thing when starting back at the gym or any other exercise is to listen to you dodgy bit of body. It will give you signs if you're doing too much. Stopping sets or cutting short goals is frustrating but better than re-injuring yourself.
  • Yivs_87
    Options
    Oh, yeah... I'm preparing myself for this. And it will be hard as I'm the type who likes pushing through.
  • baes86
    baes86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had 70% of my lateral meniscus removed two weeks ago, and I have to be careful not to make my arthritis worse as I'm only 30 (I put off surgery way too long...several years). I am used to doing the treadmill and elliptical so I'm sure it'll be a lot of trial and error to see what works for me. I'm thinking a stationary bike will be my go-to for now and in a couple weeks I am hoping to do slow laps in the pool. Getting in the pool to do some basic water aerobics feels great for the time being. I have seen a lot of improvement in my mobility from the water. Of course, most of my weight loss will have to come from watching what I eat. Aiming to do small meals/snacks.

As for PT I am there 3x a week and I'm up to 7 minutes on a stationary bike, but I could go longer. Still can't do stairs regularly, theres a lot of pain with it (and can't bend/straightening my leg due to swelling), but I can walk around fairly well these last few days. They have me moving up to 1.5lb weights for most of my exercises and I recently started the leg curl machine.
  • Yivs_87
    Options
    RICE! That's the most important part! Also when you are elevating your leg - do not put any support under the knee, the best is to place something (a rolled up blanket for example) under the ankle so that the rest of the leg is hanging - it hurts, but it will help with relaxing your other tendons and muscles and get your leg to straighten.

I was lucky to have minimal swelling, but I kept my icing quite regular - every hour or so I'd get the cold compress for 10-15 minutes.

And it sounds great being able to do all that - my PT started in week 3 (20th day of surgery); But I'm progressing as well - more exercises with weights, longer on the bike, no crutches, no braces (amen for the last! hated this thing and I had to sleep in it for 30 days).

But things are coming back to normal. You just have to be patient. And clear everything with your doctor and trainer - swimming too.

• baes86
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you! I just re-read my post and I meant to put I can't bend/straighten it quickly enough while doing the stairs. I can do it otherwise.

I am running this all past my PT and doctors and will take it gradually. Baby steps. Thanks again!
  • shijay
    shijay Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ask your doc each visit exactly what u can do. Be very specific. Also, ask when u can add more to that. In case it is before the next visit. Sometimes if u are in therapy & therapist sees progression, they will call your doc and discuss what u may be ready for. Also, look up upper body work outs or even ask therapist. Just be sure & follow orders. Ortho nurse for years & have seen too many people either re injure knee or do not have good outcome from surgery, only because they did not listen & did more than they should have or did not complete therapy protocol
  • Yivs_87
    Options
    @baes86 I was the same, but as soon as I was told I can try going up and the stairs without crutches, I was doing the same motion as with the crutches, just to get used to the feel in my leg. Then I think towards the end of week 3 I was able to do normal-ish going up/down the steps for a few steps. But yeah, baby steps!

@shijay Normally I love to push myself and get results fast, but this time around I'm really scared of re-injuring or not healing properly, so I'm extra cautious. I've completed my initial therapy protocol (the predefined one by surgeon and hospital PT), but now I'm in the hands of my personal therapist who adjusts everything I do - exercises, weights, therapy, etc.
  • baes86
    Options
    Sounds like you are on a great path! ACL surgery sounds rough. And three weeks gives me hope. That's really great you are moving around so well. I am a portrait photographer and I'm really hoping by September I am able to get back to business and that I am getting around better (mainly getting off the ground as I often shoot low).

Ditto on taking it gradually and listening to the professionals. I want this knee to last me as long as possible without further surgeries. I run everything past them and they are okay with everything I am currently doing - it is all stuff I do in therapy anyways (and the exercises in water are stuff I do in PT and I don't do anything I'm not familiar with). I do a lot of elevating and icing in between as well and I really think that has helped my recovery.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Almost 8 weeks out now and I feel noticeably better. ROM is around 110 and I'm up to 20 minutes on the bike. I think my ROM would have been better if I rested more, but with two kids, it just didn't happen. I should have been. Water with the ice and elevation too, but what can I say? I feel like I am starting to feel back to normal, with some bad days thrown in here and there. My last knee surgery had a much more painful recovery than this one, although the stiffness is a bear. Not having knee pain is great though!
  • amgaylord
    amgaylord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a sore hip flexor on one side for too long while I continued cardio, strength, cycling. Finally went to chiropractor who told me to take a few weeks off doing only light walking. Can't even do yoga.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A little late to the party...

I had an left ACL allograft on May 17th--cadaver because I'm "old" and the surgical team didn't want to further compromise my knee structure. I started rehab 3 days after surgery (and had to pre-hab 6 weeks before the surgery). Prior to this I was pretty healthy--a couple of broken bones and a concussion when I was a kid, one breast biopsy in my 20's, and childbirth were really my only major health events.

Know this--every week gets better. My ROM is ~-1 to 130--certainly better when I'm warmed up. I notice the lag in that knee when I am doing planks--so that's something I'm still working on. Most pain-free, but a little stiff, sometimes a little achy--mostly at the insertion (I'm chalking that up to the screw/staple in my bone there). I'm to the point now that I barely think about taking stairs. I go for 5 mile walks and can ride my bike for 45 minutes (inside on the Kickr). My doctor is very conservative with rehab--I'm not allowed to cycle outside until late September. Don't know when I can get back into the swimming pool again. He doesn't want me running until November (but has already warned me not to expect to run a half marathon again). I will not have a ski season this year :( Both my surgeon and my PT think I'm doing fantastic, but I still worry that I'm behind on my recovery.

I've gained about 8 lbs since I tore it (end of March). Not thrilled about that but I did a lot of pity eating. Overall it's not too bad--it boils down to not running the 15+ miles per week that I was running while maintaining the same intake. Now that I'm feeling better (and able to exercise more) I'm consciously tracking what I eat and trying to undo the weight damage by Christmas.

My biggest fear is that I'm not going to be able to do the things that I loved--skiing, surfing, yoga, horseback riding, running, etc. Some days I'm sad because of that--I guess that's normal, but still...

Feel free to add me for commiseration...
  • Yivs_87
    Options
    Tomorrow I turn 7-weeks Post Op. As of this Monday I've gained full flexion and extension. And today was my first swimming gig. My PT said that starting month 2 I can look at going into the gym for weights training. But then again they told me that my case is like "ACL post op recovery poster child". There are two other cases in the center where I'm going and one of the guys there is 3 months post op and is hardly at 100 degrees flexion, extension at 15 degrees.

But yeah, what I was told was that running can be started around month 6, on soft surface (treadmill and slowly, no incline); For skiing and surfing (I can do neither, so I didn't question them much) my surgeon said that eventually next winter and it might be best if I do them with some sports brace.

Honestly, I think it's very weird that you are still not allowed to hit the swimming pool at 3 months post op. Don't know if it's because of the cadaver... I'd check with a second opinion if I were you.

(And adding you :) )
  • Forever_Country09
    Forever_Country09 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am post knee injury as well! I got thrown from a horse twisted my knee because I tried to stay on, my hand got caught in the reins and I was dragged. At the time I was doing training for a bikini competition and was probably in the best shape of my life. After the accident I had a lot of trouble walking. Went to a doctor and they didn't even look or test it... Even though I hobbled in there in such pain. Got sent for X-rays though. Never heard back. Put up with it for months and months. Stopped
    Working out -couldn't run, or work out legs. I still trained upper body, but eventually I gave up and got depressed. Pizza and chocolate became my new best friend. I gained 30 pounds. Finally here I am 2 years later after 7 months of hard and careful work I am down 20 pounds. Although leg day still scared me because I feel unstable doing squats and leg press.

All in all, it's a slow process! I know how you feel to be stuck and able to do so little. It's frustrating. But do what you can! Don't do what I did and turn to food and alcohol lol. Not a good road