Period + working out??

Options
How do people workout while on their period? Is there a certain type I should be doing because it makes me very uncomfortable

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i don't quite understand the question. it's no different than anything else i do while living my life and having a period.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I'm not going to let a tampon get in the way of my goals. I actually have pretty decent workouts when I have my period.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you just not like the idea of being active at that time or do you have symptoms that cause you problems? I am fine for the most part but every few periods I get super weak for a few days. It's annoying but workable.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Are your periods very painful? Do you have any illnesses that are affecting the pain levels? I usually don't calorie count and rest for the 3-4 days before my cycle and 2-3 days into my cycle because I have some physical illnesses (one is fibromyalgia, a chronic pain illness) and doing anything too straining puts me more at risk for flare ups, symptoms and pain to worsen, and injury. If I do any activity, I do a slow walk or use my Deskcycle in a slow pace.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually do the same exercise during that TOM. I don't see why it would need to change. I might skip a swim if I think I might start, but I would still do something else(run, lift, some sort of exercise video). If cramps are bad, I'll take ibuprofen. What makes you uncomfortable?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Use a tampon or reusable cup. Exercise helps with cramps if that's what you mean by it makes you uncomfortable. If I have really bad cramps I might skip a day because sometimes they make me really naseous. Otherwise, I just carry on as usual. I am an ex-competitive swimmer and always swam while on my period. I never realized that some women feel uncomfortable exercising or think that they can't do certain things while on their periods until I joined here.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Since exercise (cycling in particular) triggers my periods to start, I just have to keep going. I can't be inactive 2-3 weeks out of every month!!
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to get terrible period pains (before having a baby) and going for a run actually relieved some of the pain.
    Now I do HIIT and weights, any FitnessBlender workout, and it's pretty
    Much the same, although I do get a little more tired and sweaty.
    The endorphins help a lot for the rest of the day!
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Personally I skip any cardio beyond a simple walk on day one because it's just not possible even with ibuprofen. After that it doesn't seem so much of a barrier.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I try and do my usual exercise, but I do struggle with long runs or high intensity stuff, so I do what I can. Usually, if I can get moving it actually makes me feel better. If I feel really rotten I just go for a walk.

Odds are you're going to be uncomfortable during your period anyway, so assuming yours aren't horrific, probably best just to push on - otherwise 4-7 days off once a month is potentially going to hold you back a little bit.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Unless my cramps are so horrific, my period has never stopped me from working out, and usually some Pamprin or Midol gets rid of the cramps so I can.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I often don't work out on my period. If it isn't heavy enough for a tampon the big bulky pad gets sweaty and is really uncomfortable, not to mention the fatigue. However, try doing whatever you feel physically capable of. And exercise is supposed to help with cramps (so they say).
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Day 1 I just walk usually, but like a really really good walk. Then carry on as usual. :)
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Exercise is proven to relieve symptoms of PMS. You should workout harder when on your period! Haha, at least that's what I do, but that may not be for everyone. If you use tampons, nothing should change, right?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only issue for me is the pain, but that's taken care of with 2 Ibuprofens (and sometimes 2 tylenols). After that, same business as usual. I do get a couple bloating/uncomfortable days but it usually hits at night and I exercise in the morning, so it's usually not a huge deal.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    apparently due to all the hormones banging about the place it's supposed to be really beneficial to exercise during your period. i run and i've found that i do get on better when i run during TOM. but then i dont really have heavy periods and if i'm cramping i take a few ibuprofen. (plus if the cramps dont go away i can whinge about them instead of the pain in my stupid, weak legs lol)

how heavy are your periods? do you get horrific symptoms?