Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I'm 21, 5'10 and today weighed in at 228 pounds. I can tell I'm holding water but why am I not losing any of that? I've recently (2 weeks ago) started working out and weight training about 4 times a weeks. I've cleaned up my diet and am extremely healthy. I just don't get why in the past six weeks I've gained 7 pounds when I'm eating 1500 calories sometimes more and some times less a day...(I don't track everyday on here only sometimes do I track my food) Any tips or comments would be amazing.

Thanks

Replies

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Go to your profile here, input your data, & MFP will give you a calorie allowance; weigh, measure, & track everything that you eat & drink; track your exercise, but be careful about the additional calories you earn, I think they are often inflated. Read the sticky posts at top of this forum. Eat less than you burn; it works. Weight loss is primarily calorie reduction, fitness is exercise.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight then you are over eating. Yes, you can over eat "healthy" food. Get a food scale and log your intake accurately. Eat back NO MORE than 50% of your exercise calories (I personally choose not to eat them back).
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating more then you think and not burning what you think. But remember that muscle weighs more then fat.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    You are probably eating more then you think and not burning what you think. But remember that muscle weighs more then fat.

2 weeks of weight training does not = muscle gain
  • allyalexandria
    allyalexandria Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started in an ideal protein diet and I'm only eating about 1000 cal a day and I usually exercise biking walking so burning about 300 cal or more and I weigh 165 pounds. And I'm 5foot3 H 45 and 845 and my ages is 4545. The truth is that you have to burn through 3500 cal to lose weight if you calculate all that you're eating and exercising. It is actually really super hard to lose weight. All these people are saying oh I lost 30 pounds in six weeks on ideal protein protein protein, but if you do the math is 2 pounds a week for somebody like my height and weight. Totally sucks it's going to be a long haul. I just want to weigh 145 I'd be happy
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You need to track your food every day and you need to weigh your food using a food scale.

Based on your OP, you are more likely eating more than 1500 calories and when you said more or less, and that you do not track food everyday, that was a #1 clue that calories are most likely underestimated than what you are really consuming.

MFP app and a digital scale are two tools that you use together! Fix this and you will see amazing results!
  • allyalexandria
    allyalexandria Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh, by the way you probably have low low thyroid. Go to the doctor and get on thyroid medication. If the doctor says your thyroid is normal, I suggest you get supplements to help. If you going to any health food store and talk to them, their supplements that can help you. On I'm on ideal protein, and our supplements are Omega's, calcium, magnesium, daily vitamin, and potassium. She try taking some more potassium.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 21, 5'10 and today weighed in at 228 pounds. I can tell I'm holding water but why am I not losing any of that? I've recently (2 weeks ago) started working out and weight training about 4 times a weeks. I've cleaned up my diet and am extremely healthy. I just don't get why in the past six weeks I've gained 7 pounds when I'm eating 1500 calories sometimes more and some times less a day...(I don't track everyday on here only sometimes do I track my food) Any tips or comments would be amazing.

Thanks

5'10, 228 lbs and eating 1500 calories more or less?
    Try 1200 calories and as every one else said, track every single thing that goes into your mouth.
    I would not eat back the calories I burn through exercise and see if that makes things better.
    But again, rule #1: keep track accurately and consistently of every single calorie that goes in... yes, that does mean also that tablespoon of olive oil you used in your salad...
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oh, by the way you probably have low low thyroid. Go to the doctor and get on thyroid medication. If the doctor says your thyroid is normal, I suggest you get supplements to help. If you going to any health food store and talk to them, their supplements that can help you. On I'm on ideal protein, and our supplements are Omega's, calcium, magnesium, daily vitamin, and potassium. She try taking some more potassium.

OP, please ignore this advice.

This is just bad advice and someone stating that you have a diagnosis of low thyroid and telling you or anyone to take supplements is irresponsible.

Unless otherwise stated, we are not doctors on these forums and the disclaimer should always be understood that we are not medical doctors and at any time you feel you need medical advice, you should seek that from a licensed professional.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    the only problem here is the lack of correct logging.

trying weighing everything you eat, log it right and see how ya doing in a couple weeks.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    kitkatlp wrote: »

Thanks

5'10, 228 lbs and eating 1500 calories more or less?
    Try 1200 calories and as every one else said, track every single thing that goes into your mouth.
    I would not eat back the calories I burn through exercise and see if that makes things better.
    But again, rule #1: keep track accurately and consistently of every single calorie that goes in... yes, that does mean also that tablespoon of olive oil you used in your salad...

OP, the bolded is a bad idea. Setting your calories at 1200 gross as a max would be setting your intake at over TDEE -50%. That's an equation for burnout.

You said it in your post, and everyone else has echoed it....you need to tighten up your logging.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I just started in an ideal protein diet and I'm only eating about 1000 cal a day and I usually exercise biking walking so burning about 300 cal or more and I weigh 165 pounds. And I'm 5foot3 H 45 and 845 and my ages is 4545. The truth is that you have to burn through 3500 cal to lose weight if you calculate all that you're eating and exercising. It is actually really super hard to lose weight. All these people are saying oh I lost 30 pounds in six weeks on ideal protein protein protein, but if you do the math is 2 pounds a week for somebody like my height and weight. Totally sucks it's going to be a long haul. I just want to weigh 145 I'd be happy

This is not good advice. And after reading your other posts - please stop giving advice. You are not the OP medical provider and should not be advocating this is due to a medical condition.

OP - you are not logging correctly and consuming more than you are burning. Make your goal 1 pound loss per week, weigh your food, log correctly and I'm sure you will lose weight.

OP, @cathipia is right on this as well.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Weighing and accurately tracking your food is the first step you need to take. Yeah, it can be a pain to have to weigh everything!! But without that tool, you're not going to be 100% sure what your calorie intake is. Even with a scale it's not 100%, but it's much much closer than rough estimations.

The biggest complaint of the food scale is that it's time consuming and people don't want to do that the rest of their lives. The good news is, you probably won't have to. Use the time with the scale to retrain your body and brain to accept what a normal portion of food is. Over time, you will become better at guesstimating, and you can eventually scale down when you weigh food to just double checking yourself from time to time. At least, that's what I do now and I'm maintaining just fine. But if you don't start out with weighing everything, you'll never adjust your perception of what a normal serving is, and being able to KEEP the weight off is much harder in the long run!