C section mummies !!!

Options
Hey ladies - so I've had two c sections in the past ( 4.9 years ago and 2.4 years ago) I've lost baby weight then recently dieted again after my weight started creaping back - I'm now maintaining I don't really wanna loose more weight as I'm quite happy 5ft 4.5" and weigh 8st 12lb - BUT my belly still upsets me it's so reluctant to slim !! I've been excersing nothing hard core but regular excersise from walking, running, housework, and sit-ups and aerobics! Can anyone give me advise? Has anyone who's had c section pouch managed to get a flat tummy? Many thanks xx

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 sections, I'm relatively happy with my torso, so much that it used to be my avatar

I have vaguely visible abs above my naval, stomach is flat when lying down and there's a dip between hip bones but I still have a small overhang over my scar when standing up ...the worst for me is the looser skin (again only visible in certain positions but I don't like it still) which makes me loathe to drop any further weight.

But then I'm probably older than you, my last section was 12 years ago

Slowly, ever so slowly it might be getting better over years of maintenance with ongoing attention to food intake and heavy lifting which I would strongly recommend ..heavy means progressive, free weights, compound lifts and lifting up to and beyond your own bodyweight as well as pull ups push ups etc

It's not what it was pre children but it's good enough

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections. My last one was 2 years ago.

My stomach isn't completely "flat" so to speak, I do have a bit of an overhang over the scar. For me though it's a combination of loose skin and fat. I was pretty obese after my first c-section though. The amount of weight I had to lose was bound to leave behind some kind of mark.

Here's my thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257157/c-section-mom-of-2-my-progress-over-the-past-couple-years-lots-of-pics#latest
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had twins and then my youngest, 2 c-sections, my obgyn just shook his head and said tummy tuck! It is better at a low weight, doing yoga, barre core work, in addition to cardio, taking collagen and amino acids. It will probably always be a bit saggy and scarred though. I have some wicked stretch marks,
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nope! And you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has gotten rid of the c-section overhang without some form of plastic surgery. I have it..I cannot ever get rid of it. Doesn't matter how thin I get or have been it's always there. I have not known anyone to get rid of it with just diet and exercise alone sadly.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections 10 & 13 years ago. I was at a healthy weight before pregnancy and got back to my normal weight fairly quickly after each of my pregnancies. Just keep working at it. It is possible. I agree with one of the posters above. Try to incorporate lifting into your workout routine. You can do it!
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a c/s almost 9 years ago and do not have the "pouch". My scar and the area around it is completely flat with the rest of my stomach. However, I had my little guy at 28 weeks, so never got the chance to get all that big...which probably has a lot to do with it. I 2nd the idea of adding weights into your workout - it has really helped me to define my stomach area.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section at 35 weeks and 2 following vbacs. I was at a normal weight pre pregnancy and as of today do not have an overhang. It was actually with my last baby that I noticed some loose skin (if I'm on all fours) and with him I gained the least amount of weight, funny how that happens. Weightlifting will help, but genetics and your starting weight have a lot to do with it as well
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your replies - I'm 32 and I feel the loose skin is prob the worst part and I know that won't improve much if at all now. But my tummy itself still sticks out! It's flat while laying down And first thing in morning but it gets progressively bigger throughout the day, I do general / light work outs inc sit ups and walking etc. I have some weights but they just seem to be toning my arms only X
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at bodyweight then you should be doing squats, push ups, pull ups not light workouts and crunches, try https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ for starters

Sounds like you may benefit from looking at your posture and stomach vacuums too (google them)

When we talk about weight resistance, we tend to mean real weights eg you lifting up to and beyond your own bodyweight on a barbell on your back or pulled from the floor like you would see in the free weights section...this is what really works your core ..not light Dumbbells

You're looking st programmes like stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength or books like strong curves.

It is the scary free weights section that makes everyone tight and taut

Not punk Dumbbells ...try it . You may be a convert
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    But my tummy itself still sticks out!

You may have some separation of the abdominal muscles -- evidently it can cause this and can only be repaired with surgery.
    As for that pouch-- I've still got one after 14 years. At one point afterward I got down to around 17% body fat and it was still there .. I was slim when I got pregnant so it wasn't that. But my baby was nearly 10 lbs and I'm only 5'2". I think the Dr. stretched the skin when he pulled the baby out. If I ever have some "spare money" I'd like to get it fixed.

• pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had a csection and hated what it did to my tummy. It is so much better now. I got a tattoo a while back to cover up the scar so you really can't tell I've had a c-section anymore. I do have a slight hang over above my scar tissue but it's barely noticeable anymore. I do a lot of planks and push ups. I know push ups are not actually an ab exercise but I always feel it there. I think if you keep working on your lower abs and doing plank type exercises (along with other ab exercises) you'll start noticing a difference. It may not be like before but you'll get to a point where it's not so noticeable.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've had a csection and hated what it did to my tummy. It is so much better now. I got a tattoo a while back to cover up the scar so you really can't tell I've had a c-section anymore. I do have a slight hang over above my scar tissue but it's barely noticeable anymore..

Yeah, that's what I've got-- a small overhang. No stretch marks, and the scars have gone. But-- that overhang... It's not a huge big deal but I'd get it fixed if I could afford it.

Patty- gettng a tattoo was a good idea. I wonder if a tattoo could be designed to camouflage the little "shelf"? hmmm I have no tattoos but that might make me get one!

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My second son always had his bum on the right side of my belly.
    After my second c-section (first was emergency one) I still have the bum bump.
    I will jiggle it and call it my Mason bum... cause it is bigger on that side then the other...

I too am hoping it will go down - but not holding my breath... and I don't think I will ever have the cash to have it fixed :angry:
  • wessx1
    wessx1 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My sister had the same exact issue ,you can go for a mini tummy tuck surgery if it's small or a full tummy tuck if it's big (depends on the surgeon's advice and consultation)
    If you are afraid of surgeries you can also try along with excersises non-surgical liposuction trestments they help alot in tonning the body
    i regularly do them for my ownself

http://www.millionhairsbodycomplex.co.uk/services/non-surgical-ultrasonic-liposuction/

Hope this helps
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a daddy but have had a couple surgeries that were just as evasive if not more. One leaving a vertical scar from my belly button to my penls and a horizontal one on my right abs much like a c section.

All the exercises you mention will not help get rid of the pouch unfortunately, but will help strengthen the area slightly :) and are good for your heart, lungs, etc...as cardio doesn't do much at all for you physical change but your cardiovascular system.

Do you know your body fat percentage?

I personally do zero ab exercises and zero aerobics. It's hard to tell from my profile pic, but there is virtually no pouch, and only scar tissue that can be felt.
  • Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am at a great weight but my stomach still looks like I'm a mother. Emergency c section and removal of 9 tumors that were blocking them from reaching my son who is thankfully out and healthy!
  • lauraemily84
    Options
    I am at a great weight but my stomach still looks like I'm a mother. Emergency c section and removal of 9 tumors that were blocking them from reaching my son who is thankfully out and healthy!

Oh my goodness - that sounds terrible are u all ok now?
  • lauraemily84
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm a daddy but have had a couple surgeries that were just as evasive if not more. One leaving a vertical scar from my belly button to my penls and a horizontal one on my right abs much like a c section.

All the exercises you mention will not help get rid of the pouch unfortunately, but will help strengthen the area slightly :) and are good for your heart, lungs, etc...as cardio doesn't do much at all for you physical change but your cardiovascular system.

Do you know your body fat percentage?

I personally do zero ab exercises and zero aerobics. It's hard to tell from my profile pic, but there is virtually no pouch, and only scar tissue that can be felt.

According to online body fat calculators in about 20.5-20.7 % fat now! I'm low I know that and it's def improved how it looks but if I loose much more I think I'm gonna end up loosing my boobs ! I really don't want that as that creates another problem
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yoga with lots of planks, boat pose etc has helped me a lot, Pouch much smaller