Movie snack ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I once brought in a fruit bowl from superstore. It was actually great. I'd go it again.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! Not from the movie theater though, it's loaded with butter. I like the 100 calorie packs, I just put it in ziplock bags and sneak it into the movie theater lol. Maybe pretzels (not soft pretzels)?
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    But we went last night and I had a medium Coke Zero and about a half cup of popcorn. Sometimes I go all out though.
  • Gisebs81
    Gisebs81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas are a good alternative to pop corn.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    yiyoung wrote: »
    I sneak in a baggie of raw veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and cucumber

This is as annoying as hell to everyone around you. I absolutely can't stand listening to someone loudly crunching carrots during a movie. Ruins the whole movie for everyone else. Leave the loud annoying snacks at home for when you're watching dvds. I get the smallest size popcorn without butter.

Haha! Agreed! Same with the person who suggested pistachios above. If someone were cracking pistachios next to me in a movie that I've paid $10 to see....
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Gisebs81 wrote: »
    Roasted chickpeas are a good alternative to pop corn.

Roasted chick peas are good and easy to make at home.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Can't help, when we go we get the big popcorn, the nachos and the soda lol. Why can't you just make room in your calories for your favorite snacks?

I'm on 1200 cal in an attempt to lose a pound and a half for a while, so making room would basically mean eating 200 cal before 7pm :tongue:
    jbee27 wrote: »
    Can you pair it down to just one split candy, and build that into your calories for the day?

I LOVE popcorn, particularly movie theater popcorn, so I typically splurge a little when I go the movies and have some.

I wish! I eat way faster than him in general, so we've tried to share popcorn, etc and he gets all defensive over his 'half'. We no longer share food! :lol: I'm thinking buying a cheap zipper tote bag and bringing in low-cal popcorn and diet sodas and stuff, but I wanted to know if anyone had more creative ideas. Usually I'd accept the splurge but not if it's gonna become a once a week thing.

Is it an option to add in a work out/more time at the gym and earn a few more calories back? Your idea of sneaking in food is probably the best otherwise. That is if just enjoying the movie and each other's company isn't an option:)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Sneaking in your own is my vote, but understandably you may not want to do that: fun-sized candy, smaller bags of Cheez-its, Chex Mix, trail mix. Lower calorie toppings for popcorn - buy popcorn there (dry), and add your own low calorie dry spice mix. I've seen them available at Target - parmesan herb, cheese, ranch, etc.

Buying at the theater:
    Diet soft drinks, iced tea, or water
    A fancy coffee to sip on (We now have full on coffee counters with baristas at some of our theaters. It's getting intense. Also, my idea of fancy is usually doesn't include sugar so it's just a bit of protein/sugar from dairy.)
    Beef jerky - maybe not the Slim Jim sausage-type sticks, but regular jerky (around 70 cals per ounce - Jack Links and a few other make different flavors too)
    Twizzlers - lower calorie, takes a while to eat (helps me with portion control)
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    yiyoung wrote: »
    I sneak in a baggie of raw veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and cucumber

This is as annoying as hell to everyone around you. I absolutely can't stand listening to someone loudly crunching carrots during a movie. Ruins the whole movie for everyone else. Leave the loud annoying snacks at home for when you're watching dvds. I get the smallest size popcorn without butter.

Is this really any louder than popcorn? I would get a small popcorn/ no butter and get some more exercise that day. Alternatively, you could pop it at home, which is pretty low cal, even if you oil pop.
  • kaybrose730
    kaybrose730 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just went the other night and I brought my own popcorn! I stole a few of my boyfriend's sour candies and had a water.. A little simply salted Oroville popcorn is better than nothing! Still need to enjoy yourself! Everything in moderation :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I can't usually sneak in alot of popcorn, but various candies and dried fruit could work. Also trail mix (depending)

Check this out: Over 1000 Healthy Movie Snacks
    https://www.pinterest.com/explore/healthy-movie-snacks/
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'd probably go with nuts and/or beef jerky.

Also, the Smartfood Delight Popcorn is actually pretty decent. It's not movie popcorn by any means, but it's not like you have choke it down.

smartfood-delight-sea-salt.png
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. with all the people suggesting popcorn, I might just have to buy a bigger purse (or a small zipper tote) to bring it in each week! My s/o and I love having those 100cal bags of popcorn with some salt and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning thrown on top... so maybe we'll give bringing that a try next time.

Also the grocery store fruit bowl idea is absolute genius!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments but my suggestion is sugar snap peas. For me this isn't a compromise or a substitute that tastes like sadness because I actually really like sugar snap peas! They are crunchy and a little sweet and I can munch on them. If you like your normal snacks and movies aren't the same without them then yes, figure out how to fit them in your day. If you go to the movies too often for that to be feasible then think outside the box. I like cut up vegetables or fruit and you could sneak those in just as easily as candy if you put them in ziploc bags. But if you don't actually like what you're bringing in, it will just taste like disappointment. :smile:
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My friends and I just stop at the dollar store before going. Some of the things we have gotten: beef jerky, cashews, swedish berries, nibbs, Reese or Hershey snack mix, dried fruit. If I want more than one thing (I saw you like sour,sweet,spicy), then I just portion out my own mix that incorporates all 3.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Why not skip the snacks, it's only 2 hours. Mindless eating in front of a screen usually isn't good.

Or eat dinner before the movie then you won't be hankering for snacks. That's what we did the other night and neither one of us wanted anything at the show.

This is what my hubby and I do. We like doing matinees though so it is usually brunch before the movie.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a bag of grapes. They are sweet and pop in your mouth like candies.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Smart pop individual serving pop corn, put in two separate baggies, add peanuts and raisins and a few chocolate chips or Choc covered peanuts- so good
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not long lasting, but I like bringing Skinny Pop or a small box of Cracker Jacks. I personally can't see bringing veggies as a "movie snack."