the flu argh !!!

Options
Anyone else suffering with this god awful thing while trying to eat right and exercise ??? If so how do you do it I end up not eatting all day then eatting way to much toast , or filling myself up on hot chocolate and lemsips and exercise has just not happened maybe the odd 15 mins on the cross trainier but I end up on the ground in a snotty sweaty mess after that.
Any tips or is it best just to rest and live of honey lemon tea ??

Replies

• sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, nurse, or medical professional by any means... but if it was me, I would post-pone exercise for now. Your body may need some extra fuel while it's mending. I would continue to log and stress less about counting, stress more on healing up.

Rest. Rest. Rest.

Feel better.
  • healthychelsea
    Options
    I did not too long ago! It was awful. I definitely didn't exercise, but overeating definitely didn't happen either. I drank TONS and tons of water and made myself fruit smoothies with protein to try and keep up nutrition wise.
  • healthychelsea
    Options
    I
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I had it a couple of weeks ago - slow down on the exercise, but make sure you fuel your body - in my case I made a big pot of healthy vege soup that I could eat/ drink when I needed comfort...... And lots of water / tea etc.....

It is important not to push your body exercising - it needs all the strength it can get to fight the bugs
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been there. I would lay off anything strenuous, give my body time to heal, concentrate on relaxation, stretching, yoga, reading, and any other non stressful endeavors. Above all, try to eat healthy and continue to build upon any healthful dietary foundation you have already started. Soon you will begin feeling better and then you can continue with more vigorous activity. It's not about the outcome, after all. It's about the journey. Good luck, good health, and hope you are feeling better soon.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i agree- rest and recouperate. if you feel up to doing something, maybe just go for a stroll to get some fresh air. but relax- there's no rush. you'll get back to it when you're ready.

it's good though that you're thinking of exercising when you're not well!! i'm not too good at the mo (i've got a bug) and i still tried to go for a run today! i should have stayed at home- it was painful and i should have enjoyed a walk rather than tried to push it. so i was able to run for 3 mins (i usually do about 45)! and now i feel angry with myself for pushing too hard too fast, and for not being able to do what i usually do. so, my advice is take it slowly, and put your focus where it needs to be- on the telly! oh, and i'm a nurse, so that's a medical opinion (if only i could practice what i preach!).
  • maxinethestrange
    Options
    how many cals does sneezing burn cause i think I am about up to 50 this morning ... every little helps :L
  • paramedic52
    paramedic52 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am an ER RN and if you have the flu you should not be exercising. Your body needs the time and energy to just fight the illness and get well. A good rule of thumb the doctors I work with always say is if the symptoms are above the chest - meaning you have a head cold (no fever involved) then it's ok to go about your workout. However, if your symptoms are chest related or below - chest cold, GI symptoms, body aches, you should not exercise until you are feeling 100% better. Doing so can make you worse.

I just went through this - started with a sinus infection that led to bronchitis and a fever for 4 days. Right as I started Level 2 of the 30DS. I was so upset and thought about pushing through, but I knew better and so did my body! LOL! I took the 5 days off to let it recover and as soon as I was fever free for 24hrs I started exercising again. Best thing I could have done for my body was to give it the time it needed to get over the hump and fight the infection.

Take it easy and make sure you are eating small healthy portions to keep your body fueled to get it well again.

Just me 2 cents! And I hope you feel better soon!