Do I have to replace the calories I burn wokring out?

Options
My doctor put me on a 1500 calorie diet. I am also doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds for exercise. When I log my exercise, my daily calorie limit goes up. Do I have to eat the calories I burned working out? If so, how does that help me to lose weight if I replace the calories I burned with more calories?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 1500 calorie diet. I am also doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds for exercise. When I log my exercise, my daily calorie limit goes up. Do I have to eat the calories I burned working out? If so, how does that help me to lose weight if I replace the calories I burned with more calories?

If you search the board you'll probably see this horse has been beat-to-death, resurrected, and beat back down again. Some experts say yes, some experts say no, and nobody can agree on either point. The PC answer is, create a safe calorie deficit diet strategy and listen to your body. If you feel like you need to eat some calories back then do it, if you don't then don't. :)
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    YES, otherwise you will crash. I know you want to accelerate the process, however, it will take time. be patient, be healthy, be safe. I am on about the same number of calories too. You can do this.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    MFP already builds in an initial deficit. for example for my weight i burn 2600 calories just from day to day. If I work out and burn 400 calories, I am burning 3000. my calorie goal is 1600. you should replace at least a portion of what you work off to continue to give you fuel needed to keep going and to make it "ok" for the body to let go of fat because it knows it's getting re fueled. I try to at least keep my NET at 1200. I do Leslie's WAH, too...great complrehensive workout! Good luck
  • keesees
    keesees Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try not to replace the calories. I figure you eat so much then work off more therefore loose weight. If you have left-over calories at the end of the day you did good...as far as I know. If I'm wrong with that thinking someone please let me know!

I love the Walk Away the Pounds series. Really gives you a good sweat!!!

*Ok looks like we all answered this at the same time. Sorry bout the wrong info. :-)
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. To loose weight you are trying to burn more calories than you consume. You have to look at how much you burned though and remember to eat protein within an hour of working out. If you burn an extrememly high amount of calories you may want to eat something so that your body does not enter starvation mode. Remember your body naturally burns calories as well. Once you are at a weight you are comfortable, then eat those extra calories to maintain your weight.
  • LaurenAshleys
    Options
    I think about it like this: I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. My goal is to only eat 1200 calories. But say I work out and burned like, 200 calories that day. It's like a bonus reward. If I felt like I did well that day and deserve it, I'd consume 1400 calories that day. If I didn't eat those extra 200 calories, yeah, I'd lose weight faster- but I don't want dieting to be painful. If you think you deserve it, you eat it.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    I am now realizing the importance of eating your exercise calories back!! It's SO important...Try doing that for a couple weeks. Your body needs that fuel to function normally.

See your body as a wood burning stove...The more you use the stove, the more wood you need to give it because it needs the extra fuel!

Translation - Your body needs more calories to function when you're working out more. I definitely recommend eating your calories back but you have to find what works for you because everyone's body is different.

I hope this helps!!:) God bless
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I think about it like this: I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. My goal is to only eat 1200 calories. But say I work out and burned like, 200 calories that day. It's like a bonus reward. If I felt like I did well that day and deserve it, I'd consume 1400 calories that day. If I didn't eat those extra 200 calories, yeah, I'd lose weight faster- but I don't want dieting to be painful. If you think you deserve it, you eat it.

That's exactly what I do =]
  • Jreneecreations
    Options
    yes, maybe not all, but a portion. You have to support your body doing extra work. If you don't, your body will think it is starving. Your body in starvation mode holds on to every little calorie you eat because it thinks it needs to! I just did a bunch of research on this because I was wondering the same thing! The goal is HEALTHY calories, not eating a big mac cause you burned that many calories, lol.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    r0cs46.jpg
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options

If you search the board you'll probably see this horse has been beat-to-death, resurrected, and beat back down again. Some experts say yes, some experts say no, and nobody can agree on either point. The PC answer is, create a safe calorie deficit diet strategy and listen to your body. If you feel like you need to eat some calories back then do it, if you don't then don't. :)

What he said :)
  • rdunke
    rdunke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The difference here is your Doctor has put you on a 1500 cal diet. To continue with your Doctors prescription you will need to eat the exercise calories back.

Edit - I assume you set MFP to a goal of 1500 calories.:wink: