200 lbs to lose

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been going through so many posts on here and feel in complete awe of the amazing success and determination you all have, congratulations :)

I am in need of some help and think this forum would be the best place to ask for some!

At 24 years old and 5'4", it is embarrassing for me to admit that I weigh a colossal 336lbs (exactly 24 stone) and have been dieting for over 7 years. I have seen my doctor, tried countless diets, exercise, all sorts, and will lose weight easily when my mind is set on it. At my best, I reached 16 stone 7lbs (which, at the time, was a loss of 4 stone over 6 months), but have managed to regain everything I lost plus more over the last 2 years alone.

I am now at breaking point. My body hurts, all the time. I struggle to breathe, I get tremendous headaches, I snore so loudly that my partner and I have been unable to share a bed for almost a year. I am tired constantly, have no energy to play with my 8 year old and I am so embarrassed of my body I get uncomfortable if someone is walking behind me in case they are looking at my 'back fat'.

I work in an office, so I am sat on my backside for 8 hours of the day and my commute to and from work each day takes around an hour on the motorway each way.

Reading through many of your posts, I can see other people have been / are currently in situations like mine, I'm wondering if you would all be willing to share with me exactly what you have been doing to shed the lbs?

Are you following a particular plan or just counting calories? How do you incorporate workouts into such a long day? What sort of food do you take into work to curb the boredom cravings? Have any of you lost in excess of 100lbs successfully and how so? After trying so many different diets / plans for so long, what has finally worked for you? Do you have any general advice you could give me?

I would be so grateful for any help or suggestions you could offer!

Thank you in advance x

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have found that I am not consistent with a morning workout routine. After work, I am often too tired or have other family obligations. I workout on my lunch hour. Depending on how long your lunch is maybe just start with a 15 minute walk around your building or outside and use the other 15-45 minutes to eat lunch. As you feel more comfortable add to the time. Sometimes I walk for 45 minutes and just eat at my desk later in the afternoon.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    Sometimes I walk for 45 minutes and just eat at my desk later in the afternoon.

I do this a lot! I only get 30 minutes but most of the time I take a walk and grab my lunch on the way back in. I also have an office job and getting exercise is a pain in the butt sometimes.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Add friends on MFP who are really active for motivation. I didn't have that much to lose, but I know for most anyone motivation has got to be key. And we all (no matter what our goals are) need all the motivation we can get right? I just sent you a friend request. :) Enjoy the journey and give yourself grace. If you mess up at a meal, don't throw in the towel for the day.
    To keep things simple for myself, I usually stick to the same foods most of the week.
    Oatmeal and boiled egg in the morning
    Lentil soup, apple, powdered PB, and either light cheese or half an avocado for lunch
    Greek yogurt and fruit for afternoon snack
    Salad for dinner
    And I usually leave room for something sweet, because I have a major sweet tooth and cutting out sweets altogether would lead me to binge later.
    Get moving more. I do little things like take the stairs, walk to the bathroom every hour, do squats at lunch, park further away, etc. I need to get back on a workout program but this summer has gotten my schedule off something crazy. Things will settle back down once school starts.
    Good luck!!!
  • FrancesLyon
    FrancesLyon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well my advice to you is from my own experience, don't diet because that is only temporary. You have to change your eating habits to make it second nature because this should be how you continue to eat. The easiest step would be to cut back on how many calories you in take daily you can do this by small changes.

Eat small meals during the day instead of three standard larger meals, workout daily (even only for 10 minutes), drink more water, cut done or eliminate soda/pop from your regiment. You work in an office get up periodically and walk around getting a few steps, when you get home find a beginners low impact exercise on you tube if needed for your daily 10 minute workout (get a step counter if needed), try basic walking videos they work well. The more you get a pattern down you can increase the intensity and adjust your food to more healthier selections.

Good Luck!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i merely counted calories, no special diet, cause, well thats not sustainable for me. Bought a digital scale and logged every single thing that went in my mouth. Started walking. then walked more. Got a game on my phone that made it more interesting. Started running using zombie5k. Found recipes and cooked 99% of my meals. Lost 100 pounds. Got a personal trainer and started weight lifting. Been maintaining for a little over a year. Still log, still weigh my foods, still cook at home, still check in with MFP. Scariest stat I've ever seen that keeps me logging and checking in, a recent study that tracked a quarter of a million people, 1 in 100 people manage to keep the weight off after 9 years. ONE IN A HUNDRED! (heard on This American Life, episode "Just Call Me Fat") so yeah, theres that.
  • mikepicher
    mikepicher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too log everything I shove in my pie hole... helps keep me 'eating in the zone'. I'm on a 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carb routine... the more carbs is because I'm pretty active now. Most go for a 33, 33, 33. Zone diet for info...

Like others here stated, it has to be a lifestyle change and not thought of as a diet. Once changes are habits that's when progress will be made. Don't expect quick fixes.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I"ve lost 65 pounds, have another 60-70 to go.

When I started this process a year ago, I was on Weight Watchers. I don't like their newest plan, so I quit Weight Watchers and I follow an older version of their plan. I double track, I have an app that tracks Weight Watchers points and I also track calories. The WW plan steers you towards a balanced diet and healthy eating. When I first started, I was going for a walk, weather permitting, or using a Leslie Sansone "walk at home" DVD. Now I go to the gym three times a week, and walk on days when I'm not at the gym.

What's in your head is as important as what's on your plate. I've been overweight/obese most of my adult life. I've tried to lose weight many times. The big reason it's working this time is because I've finally got my head on straight

I understand about long hours and horrible commutes. Go for a walk at lunchtime, weather permitting, it's going to be a lot better than sitting around. Plan a snack in the late afternoon, so that you don't arrive home starving. Try giving yourself little rewards that don't involve food. they're all strategies that can help.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn, and you will lose weight. No need to find time for exercise unless that is something you want to put time in to.

Don't be drastic and don't expect the weight to come off in a month. Start with 2lbs a week and if you feel like that's too extreme, drop to 1 lb per week. If you feel like that is too extreme drop to .5 lbs per week. Count everything that goes into your mouth, excluding zero calorie drinks (though it might be nice to know how many of those are you consuming just to track water intake and all that).

With your weight and height, you could probably eat 2500 calories and still lose weight. It's not difficult, but it will take will power and patience. It will take a long time to lose the weight and the rest of your life to keep it off. You're making a life style change, not going on some silly extreme diet.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Me too - just count calories, no special exercise (I havent set foot in a gym), cook meals every day and log and weigh every thing I eat. 96 pounds down from October 2015. My advice is to not look at it as 200lbs to lose - break that into smaller goals - it may prove to be more sustainable to you and is certainly less intimidating!! You can easily lose 5 lbs - then lose 5 more, and 5 more, etc. Dont give up things you love, but find a way to fit them into your daily life while maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight. Be patient, be committed, be honest with yourself and you can have the success that so many here on MFP have found. Good luck!!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've lost 87 lbs by calorie counting, no special diets. Finding the thing that works for you (calorie limit, macro ratio, exercise program) will be difficult and frustrating but it's so worth it. I think the most important lesson learned so far, for me, is that I will not eat perfectly 100% of the time or exercise as hard as I had intended on doing. As long as I progress forward the next day instead of give up, it is a success. It's a long, hard road to change 20+ years of a bad eating habits and no exercise to a healthy lifestyle.

I also work in an office. I take a few minutes each hour to walk around and stretch a little bit. Every little step counts! All of the users above have given great advice. Find something manageable that you can stick to.

Good luck! :smile:
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a decent way to go in a vacuum, but if you want to get exercise in there, I'd recommend trying a few different times of day to see what works for you!

At one point in my life, going to the gym and then straight to work worked great because I could walk from my apartment to my gym to my work in a 20 minute circuit.

My schedule changed, and suddenly that didn't work, so I worked out after work in my apartment doing PIIT28. Great results.

Moved states, and now I work out in my apartment at 5:30AM when my partner goes to work and before I start getting ready for work!

You just make it fit when you can :smile:

Also, I DEFINITELY agree that you should eat lunch at your desk and spend your lunch break moving! A 45 minute walk could burn 200-300ish calories, or more.

Personally I'm just counting calories, but meal-prep has worked for both my partner and myself.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for almost four years now, but it's only been recently that I finally "get it". As others have said above, it's not a diet. It's a way of life, and it has to be one that you can live with going forward. You asked what sort of foods people take to work to curb the "boredom cravings" - that was a big flag for me. One of my biggest obstacles was my mindless/emotional eating. I had to figure out when I was bored and when I was truly hungry. I read this test somewhere, and it resonated with me: "You have an apple, but you are suddenly craving something salty or sugary. You are not hungry, you are bored. If you are truly hungry, you'd eat the apple."

I completely agree with FrancesLyon, and her suggestions. Small changes made over time can make a HUGE difference - and not make you feel like you're being deprived. Plan your meals, track everything, try to make healthier decisions when you're out. The greatest test will be actually LISTENING to your body. I know a bacon double cheeseburger sounds absolutely amazing to me... but I know how I feel afterwards. Tired, lethargic, bloated, and miserable. But if you need to splurge, go small. Get a child's size burger, ice cream or other treat.

Coming to MFP and reaching out is the best step to beginning this journey. You have a whole community here to support you and help you make better decisions. However, this is an entirely personal endeavor. You have to believe you can do it, believe you deserve it, and make it happen. Wishing you the very best!!! :smiley:
  • michelekay2015
    michelekay2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recommend an obstructive sleep apnea test.
    I follow primal lifestyle. I was eating over 300 grams of carbs before this plan, which I've learned drives fat storage.
    From what I've seen, find what works for you long term. Something sustainable.
    One day at a time.
    I wish you the best. Don't give up!

• joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Mini goals. As in MINI. Like if you drink 7 soda's a week, go for 6 the next. I completely agree about eating a late day snack-I work from 4 am to 2 pm and eat my lunch in my car on the way home-a sandwich, string cheese, banana (or some variation thereof.)I have a 90 minute commute and if I don't eat during that time, I arrive home starving and have to really fight the urge to binge.
    Mini goals.
    Protein.
    Be kind to yourself.
    Ask for help.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and would add, make small changes over time and keep layering them on. Here are the TOP 5 changes I have made over the past 6 months: 1) replace sodas/beer/wine/caloric drinks with water 2) walk for 30-60 minutes every morning 3) pack your lunch and snacks and don't eat anything you didn't bring 4) get plenty of sleep 5) log everything you eat and be honest with yourself, close your diary if it's more comfortable.

There are a bunch of tips I'd add after that, including heavy lifting, but starting small will help you get a kick-start.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hiya I was 24 stone and 10 lbs when I first started my weight loss journey and am now 8 stone and 5 lbs though it's up and down a few lbs each week at the moment as am in maintenance.
    I had tried going to the gym before years ago but the food part was an issue still so gave it up but end of January last year something just clicked with it all.
    I was a big junkfood and alcohol lover and didn't exercise at all plus I work on checkouts so a sedentary job too.
    If you want any advice just message me or add me :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Consistency. Log every day.

Eat less than you burn. If you eat the "wrong" thing, don't worry about it - focus on staying under your calorie goal. If you go over your calorie goal, get back on track the next day.

Eat foods you enjoy. You are much, much more likely to stick with this if you like your diet. Focus on what you ARE eating rather than what you're NOT eating - make it a point to hit your protein, fat, and fiber goals, then fill in the rest of your calories with food that makes you happy. If you decide to follow a particular plan, make sure it aligns with what keeps you full, satiated, and seems like something you could do forever.

Pre-logging your food will show you what food fits in your day and will help you stick to your goal.

At your weight, add in exercise slowly. There's a lot of stress being placed on your joints. Go for short walks in the mornings, at lunch, or evenings (whatever fits your schedule best). If you go in the evenings, bring your kid and spend time together. Make the walks longer as you get stronger.

Good luck to you!
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above.

For motivation: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394510/the-ultimate-success-stories-guide#latest

Seeing what others have accomplished really helps me stay focused.

Good luck! :)
  • nomorecakemate
    nomorecakemate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All of your suggestions so far are brilliant, thank you for taking the time to reply. Just reading through some of them have highlighted a few things I think I have been doing wrong already. Cutting calories too drastically, exercising to a point where I'm uncomfortable and begin to resent working out, setting huge goals instead of smaller, more achievable goals. I think I expect results too quickly and need to learn to be more patient; as many of you have said, it's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Please do keep posting, I've enjoyed reading your responses so far and would love to hear more of what you've all done to create a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Xx
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You have already gotten a lot of excellent suggestions so I'd like to encourage you to stick to it. Dont give up no matter what. Your success will lie in your resilience and consistency and your endurance. With 200lbs to lose, your race is not a sprint but a long distance run. Stay engaged with this community!! You are right - be patient. I have not lost nearly as fast as others but I have lost! I am half way to my goal. There are also good people to watch on YouTube. Kimonica (type her into the search bar) is one of my favorites. She started at 400lbs and is down to 190lbs - no surgery - just diet and exercise. Best of luck!