tips to stop binge urges?

Options
Hey all I am so sick of this binge restrict cycle. I know there are lots of sites out there that give tips to stop bingeing but I wanna hear personally from you guys what are the ways that help you stop those urges :) am determined to kick this binge monster away from today onwards!

Replies

• iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Drink water more (whenever hungry, first drink water), don't have junk food in your home , and above all keep a mental note - reminding yourself you need to stop!!!. Stop eating other family members leftovers.

Mental strength goes a long way!!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Over restriction and/or trying to make up for binges are danger zones for me.
  • pompeyjosh1990
    pompeyjosh1990 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just ask yourself if you actually want the food, or do you want better health....if you crave something- do some research first....I craved ice cream the other day, so got myself protein ice cream with zero calorie Choc sauce.....
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been a binge eater for 20+ yrs, which has resulted in 30-40 lb a year weight losses and gains. I learned in May about some health issues. I decided to be pro-active. So, far it's working, and I've lost over 25 lbs.

The first thing I did was I made a daily reminder on my phone. I see it every single time I do anything on it. It's like a vow, it's positive.
    The second thing I did was not bring any of my binge foods into our house - chips, cookies, crackers, cake, candy. (hmmm, all 'c's).
    The third the thing I did was stopped eating processed food. I aim for whole, natural food, which is also high protein and high healthy fats. Planning and prep are vital to my success.

Other things that have helped...drinking 12-16 glasses of water a day, getting on average 7 hrs of sleep a night, exercising in the morning (I am a procrastinator).
    Most importantly, being kind to myself. I'm not perfect. I do slip up. IF I have something unplanned OR unhealthy, I only have ONE serving. Enjoy it, then move on. You gotta live.

My eating disorder is stemmed from mental and psychological issues. My therapist was key in getting me past some difficult experiences from my past. Consistent exercise is very beneficial for me.

Whatever you do, don't give up, keep fighting for YOU.
    YOU matter.
    Good luck.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Determination. Will power.

What do you want more: to lose weight/be more healthy or to binge food?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Some of the most determined people I know (with respect to health, fitness and diet) suffer from binge eating.

In fact I'd go so far as saying that high levels of determination and focus can be one of the indicators of a likely hood to binge.

Whilst I can see that some people who binge are simple not determined/prepared/disciplined enough - To lump all binging into that category is wrong.
  • Bee_Le
    Bee_Le Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Every time that I want to binge, I log the food and look at the calories! Makes me change my mind fast, lol. I don't want to throw all my previous work away. But it's okay to eat things you love in moderation though. Don't have to give up what you like.. just eat very little of it, sparingly.

Even if you do mess up though and eat badly for a day, whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. It happens, just pick yourself and focus on your diet again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The first step of you understanding your binge problem is to accurately log your food on 'good' days, 'bad' days and for your binge events. You haven't been logging your food, so you do need to be honest with yourself.

I log everything. Some days, promptly and accurately. Some events, I call them excursions, don't get logged until I've emotionally reconciled with it and then it's not accurate. Still, I try. I discovered with this effort at logging that I could pinpoint a risk factor which accompanied each excursion. That risk factor was an inadequate breakfast. On days when I had an inadequate breakfast, I binged without fail. When I began without fail having an adequate breakfast, the frequency of excursions dropped. Last week was a vacation, not a binge and not an excursion. I put on 5 lb of mostly water, some fat, maybe some muscle, and I'll spend a week or so re-losing the weight I gained last week.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't keep binge foods in the house. For me that's chips, dip, blocks of cheese, large pizzas, etc. It's a lot harder to cave in to a binge when you have to make a special trip to the store in order to do it. :) And, if I'm trying to fight "the urge" find it helps to come on MFP and look at other people's before and after pics. :)
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A protein and fat mini meal with lots of lettuce and several large glasses of water have helped me deactivate a binge. It's ok to go a little over sometimes,,, it's better than going a lot over. For example chicken breast with olive oil and romaine. Then just wait until your brain gets the message, about 20 mins. During that time I clean something.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a "binge" thing but more of a bad habit. After dinner (we always eat early...5pm or so) around 7-8pm or even 830 I get "peckish" and like to snack on breakfast cereal. Cheerios, krispies. Soy milk. Its not sugary or even fatty, but its like my go-to after-dinner snack. And I could power through 3-400 calories of it in a moment.
    Its still my weakness. So I have a cup of coffee or large water instead. Or go do a project or go for a walk. I have to remind myself that it OK to feel a little hungry, dinner is over, and I can enjoy breakfast tomorrow.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    water and lots of vegetables.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Up your protein intake, at least for me that's kept the carby/sweet cravings at bay, and don't completely deprive yourself have something like smart food popcorn, 3 3/4 cups=130 calories, or some low fat ice cream, like halo top or Arctic zone, something that feels like you're being naughty, but you're not lol or my favorite sugar free pudding with reddi whip still comes in at under 100 cals, so you don't go over.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I binge on a gigantic salad with a little low fat dressing. Or a huge bowl of lightly buttered broccoli. Stuff like that. It's so filling I just can't eat anything afterwards.