The program name for walking more?

Options
I remember reading awhile ago about a program or app to help with walking.
I HATE exercise... but am willing to try walking more.
I know there is something called from couch to 5k in 4 weeks or something - but that is for runners... and I won't run yet. I always pull my ankle socket when I try to run even the shortest distance.

I want to walk first.. and would like an app or program that I can use to help me.
I have a fitbit - but the vibrating band when I manage to hit my 8000 steps isn't motivation enough lol!

I think seeing numbers will help.. like how many KM walked in a row or such.

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There are a lot! I use Mapmywalk to track it, Pokemon Go gives you rewards for walking, Zombies, Run! has a non-running mode, and Ingress is a lot like Pokemon Go minus the whole Pokemon bent.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Seconding Zombies Run - it works well even if you prefer to just walk and enjoy the music and story.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i use mapmywalk, it sync with mfp too.

its shows you distance, duration, steps and calories burnt (make sure you keept current wait up to date on your profile) and shows you the walk on a map

I really like it, has a news feed etc too as well as workout log and can add friends like on mfp too (i dont do that, just use it to track my walks)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pokemon Go is addictive & fun. You walk to find Pokemon, to hatch Pokemon eggs and such.

MapMyWalk is good as it tracks your route w/ GPS - and can run in the background.

From what you posted, I'm guessing Pokemon Go (if you like games) will do more to encourage you to walk. I'm stopping at a park to walk in the mornings before work - to find Pokemon, level up to stay competitive w/ my kids. :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use Zombies Run, it's super special awesome and does make me actually want to walk.

I have friends that started Go, and one's already lost 7 lbs in a week just by hunting pokemon. Not my thing, but it does work if it's something you're interested in.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    There's actually Stepbet too. You put $$ into a bet that you'll walk x amount of steps a day and if you don't, then you lose that $. If you hit all your goals in 6 weeks you get a share of the pot.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit!!!
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Pokémon Go?
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions.
    I think MapMyWalk was the one I was thinking of and I will download the app tonight once I am home with WiFi.
    As for Pokemon Go - I am tempted.. as I love gaming - but I was worried about the data usage. I only have 1 gig - so I will have to try it and monitor it to see how bad it is.

Zombies Run sounds interesting... and you say you can walk on it? No need to run?