Should I just buy a new scale?

Options
I bought my Connair Thinner last week at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, for $20 (yeah, I know it's cheap), because my friend has one and likes it.

But this thing flucuates wildly! It's up and down all day. Today it gave me a reading, then a couple hours later it was 3 pounds less, then later it was 4 pounds more then the second reading. It's always within about 4 pounds, but I don't know what my actual "number" is. I know our weight flucuates normally, and that I shouldn't weigh myself so often, but I can't help it. I'm worried that on my actual weigh-in day, I won't get an accurate reading.

Should I buy a new scale? Any suggestions? Obviously I don't want to spend all that much, less then $30.

Replies

• MissMegan3119
    Options
    Honestly, the slightest things throughout a day can throw off your reading. One time when I was at the doctor, I was weighed at the beginning, had to drink water, weighed myself again and it was up almost 2 pounds. There's a reason it is suggested to only weigh in once a week at the same time. I always do the morning after I use the restroom. Other than that, you'll get a lot of fluctuation. Good luck.
  • granniejane
    Options
    Weigh a 5 pound bag of sugar a bunch of times.......if it's different everytime....I"d get another scale......lol
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Target has a great glass and chrome digital scale for right about $30. I think it's a "Biggest Loser" scale...but that's not why I bought it, I just liked the design. My dad just happened to buy the same scale and it and it must be pretty accurate b/c the reading on his scale jibes with the reading on mine here at home.
  • Jodi_O
    Jodi_O Posts: 32
    Options
    Take it back to the store. Maybe they will let you exchange it for a new one.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Weigh a 5 pound bag of sugar a bunch of times.......if it's different everytime....I"d get another scale......lol

Now that is a marvelously simple and effective approach. Very nice!

Kris
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My weight can change as much as 10 lbs in a day. Weigh yourself at the same time of day - that way you can compare one day to the next. Work more on the change in your weight than the hard number - then the scale accuracy isn't an issue as much.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

i think this is a fantastic idea, when i take my scale out of hiding i may do this, or maybe do it with my dumbells or something, to test it.

(edited to include actual message)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Is the scale on a hard surface, like tile, or carpet? Carpet or a soft surface can do that. Mine did that...until I put it on my bathroom tile floor. Seems to be better now.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates throughout the day. If you weigh yourself multiple times in a row and it is up and down then I'd say get a new scale but if it's at different times in the day than that's normal. Just weigh yourself once a day when you first get up before eating. Weighing yourself during the day you're usuallly going to get a higher number since food and water are a different points of digestion.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    Will you be taking this scale back, the 20 dollar one? I don't really have room to say anything because I use the scale on my wii fit until I have access to a gym in late August.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options

hahahaha I just pee'd myself from laughing so hard.......think I'll go weigh myself now......
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Is the scale on a hard surface, like tile, or carpet? Carpet or a soft surface can do that. Mine did that...until I put it on my bathroom tile floor. Seems to be better now.

no weighing on carpet is good, i step on my scale once in the hallway (carpet) while i was washing the bathroom floor (tile) i lost 50 pounds in one day
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. It does record the same number when I get on and off a few times, so I guess I'll keep it and just weigh myself in the morning.

Thanks for all your help!