Running Vs Elliptical

Options
Mj_25
Mj_25 Posts: 2 Member
Okay, I know this has had many conversations and there are plenty of articles but I still am unsure between which is best. I really enjoy the elliptical I go to my campus gym but between breaks it cant be consistent and I often wonder if I am missing out on some fitness benefits and honestly if the elliptical is doing anything at all for my body (my goal is weight loss). I recently considered running outside and possibly races I look up to my co-worker who is a runner, of the outside sorts, and I know I'm younger but I am worried about my knees and possibly ankles too. I already feel like they are not as strong as they should be. I did play soccer competitively as a child since age 5 and I always blame it on that but I'm not 100% positive.

Bottom line: Would I benefit more from running outside and if so is it worth the possible toll on my knees?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mj_25 wrote: »
    Would I benefit more from running outside

You'd certainly benefit from it, but whether you'd benefit more is open to debate. As a weight bearing activity running is more likely to help improve lower body structure; bone density etc.

It's also much more interesting.
    ...is it worth the possible toll on my knees?

Running isn't inherently bad for the knees. From a personal perspective I've had far less ankle, knee and leg pain since I started running, and my ankle stability is somewhat better than it had been previously. I've had broken ankles as a result of a road traffic accident.

I do enjoy races, generally trail half marathons, marathons and ultras, as they give me significant challenges and the other runners are very friendly.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this has had many conversations and there are plenty of articles but I still am unsure between which is best. I really enjoy the elliptical I go to my campus gym but between breaks it cant be consistent and I often wonder if I am missing out on some fitness benefits and honestly if the elliptical is doing anything at all for my body (my goal is weight loss). I recently considered running outside and possibly races I look up to my co-worker who is a runner, of the outside sorts, and I know I'm younger but I am worried about my knees and possibly ankles too. I already feel like they are not as strong as they should be. I did play soccer competitively as a child since age 5 and I always blame it on that but I'm not 100% positive.

Bottom line: Would I benefit more from running outside and if so is it worth the possible toll on my knees?

It's personal preference, you would most likely burn more calories running vs elliptical if you were doing them for the same time, but weight loss comes down to you eating less calories than you burn so don't specifically try to use this to lose the weight. If you aren't losing weight while using the elliptical, then you probably wont lose weight from running. I say make sure your diet is in check and do what you like, not what somebody else you work with likes.

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    if weight loss is your main goal. Just, less calories consume than burn. You might try to find a balance, mix it up with walk/running and elliptical. Main thing is to move and find what you enjoy. You are doing fine!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the c25k program in addition to the elliptical? It builds up your running very gradually to help avoid injury. I'm 61, never ran before, and completed it no problems. You can do both and see which you like best, or mix it up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am worried about my knees and possibly ankles too.

The good news is that running does not harm joints, in fact numerous studies hove concluded the opposite. There are, however, some muscular weaknesses and imbalances that manifest themselves as knee pain and it would not hurt to do exercises intended to strengthen glutes, hips & core. Runners should also cross train (bike, swim, weights etc etc.

The most important thing with starting a running program (or any other exercise program) is to start gradually, build time / distances slowly, take recovery days and be consistent.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am worried about my knees and possibly ankles too.

The good news is that running does not harm joints, in fact numerous studies hove concluded the opposite.

Not just that, but with the OP being a woman, the impact is good for bone density which is good to ward off osteoporosis (but she's way too young for that)
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad ankles and was scared to run, plus I was over 200 lbs at the time. I started slowly, repeating training levels of C25K a couple times. Took my time and made sure I got really good shoes. I found my ankles got stronger with running, as a matter of fact my lower body as a whole is stronger. But really you should do what you love. I fell in love with running.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The elliptical is a good but boring calorie burner. This is about all the elliptical is good for in my opinion. running does not have to be harmful to the body when done right.

Running can be a great challenge, you are able to enjoy the outdoors see things, hear things, smell things.. etc.. You can run around lakes, trails, just about any where you like to. If you are busy mom, or work inside all day this is a perfect time for "you time" and outside and enjoying your own quiet.

Outside of this, do what ever it is that you LOVE to do, and what will keep you exercising. If you love this then you are not missing out on one thing! If you have knee problems then I might not take up running any times soon unless it is just weakness where you need to build your muscles up.

If you are wanting body composition changes from either types of exercise this is not what does that! Strength training does that.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started running a few months ago, and I feel stronger than ever in my legs, and in my lungs. My cardio ability has gone up tremendously. However, my right hip does get achy after a few miles, but I think I just need to find a good hip stretch.
    I say do whatever you like to do. Don't force yourself to run if you don't like running. Just being active is a great place to be.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why don't you try the c25k program in addition to the elliptical? It builds up your running very gradually to help avoid injury. I'm 61, never ran before, and completed it no problems. You can do both and see which you like best, or mix it up.

This is good advice. I love to run outside, but when I run on pavement too much I get stress fractures in my tibias. My bone density must suck. I've had both calcium and vitamin D tested and my levels are good. I'm fat, but not so fat running should break my bones, and I've had a gait and shoe analysis. I've got a nice, neutral gait and the right shoes. I've got no knee or hip issues.

The elliptical is great for me because it doesn't break my bones. I'm pregnant right now and have hit the point where running makes me feel like I'll pee my pants, so the elliptical is my best bet. I'm hoping to start gradually back with my running once the baby comes. I'll probably have to redo C25K.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a result of a calorie deficit and can be achieved through a combination of nutrition and exercise. Both the elliptical and running with help with this. I think the simplest answer is that the most effective exercise is the one that you enjoy doing, that you can and will commit to doing regularly. You seem to like the elliptical - great. You're interested in running - give it a try. C25k is a good place to start. If it turns out that you enjoy both, then do both.
    My personal preference is that running is superior - not only do I enjoy it, but it requires no equipment and can be done pretty much anywhere. And it's a natural body movement. Don't worry about your knees - it's a myth that running is bad for your knees. However, build up slowly - don't try to jump right in to too many miles at first. And some crosstraining (could include elliptical) and strength training will help.
    For what its worth - I have a horrible ankle. Years of soccer and ankle sprains have taken it's toll. I had surgery two years ago, have limited range of motion, no cartilage left, and still some remaining debris embedded in my tissue. I run 20-30 miles per week, depending on the time of year.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical. For some reason running and I don't get along. I'm skinny fat so weight isn't an issue. I don't know why I get so winded whenever I run
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    chante_04 wrote: »
    I prefer the elliptical. For some reason running and I don't get along. I'm skinny fat so weight isn't an issue. I don't know why I get so winded whenever I run

You're probably starting out too fast. Start impossibly slow. as you progress you can pick up the pace if needed.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical. Ive lost just over a stone in 2 months but still weigh 16 stone so maybe to fat to jog? I started on the elliptical and not even managing 5 minutes on zero resistance. Now i'm doing 30 minutes every night and covering around 6.5 miles and burning 320 calories!!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the elliptical

If you enjoy it then just carry on! Finding something you enjoy means you are much more likely to carry on doing it and keep it up. Maybe give running a little go, but if you enjoy the elliptical and everything is working then just keep up the good work :)

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Now i'm doing 30 minutes every night and covering around 6.5 miles and burning 320 calories!! "

You're going 13 mph on an elliptical for 30 minutes? That's a 4:40 average mile pace. I'm impressed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Many people dislike running for a couple of reasons: it's harder than a lot of other cardio exercises, and they may just suck at doing it due to bad form or being overweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Now i'm doing 30 minutes every night and covering around 6.5 miles and burning 320 calories!! "

You're going 13 mph on an elliptical for 30 minutes? That's a 4:40 average mile pace. I'm impressed

Thanks! Yeah I have the resistance up to nearly half way!!

fz2jk9b7rn8s.jpg