High protein non processed vegan breakfast

Options
Hey guys I am not a vegan or even vegetarian but would like to incorporate more vegan options in my diet but healthy non processed options...any ideas ?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Banana
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you consider "processed". I sometimes make an acai bowl with an acai packet, frozen berries or mango, half a banana, a scoop of vega protein and greens, and almond milk or fresh green juice or water - blended until smooth and thick. Then I top it with the other half banana, other fruit, slivered almonds, bee pollen, nut butter, shredded coconut, chia seed, flax, etc. in whatever combo sounds good for the morning. They typically come out to around 300-400 cals and 25-40 grams of protein depending on what I use.
  • superpowers2016
    superpowers2016 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Brithicks wrote: »
    It depends on what you consider "processed". I sometimes make an acai bowl with an acai packet, frozen berries or mango, half a banana, a scoop of vega protein and greens, and almond milk or fresh green juice or water - blended until smooth and thick. Then I top it with the other half banana, other fruit, slivered almonds, bee pollen, nut butter, shredded coconut, chia seed, flax, etc. in whatever combo sounds good for the morning. They typically come out to around 300-400 cals and 25-40 grams of protein depending on what I use.

That sounds delicious and nutritious. Now I should just measure and weigh everything in advance as my mornings are pretty hectic.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble!

Here's some ideas and how-to: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/tofurecipes/tp/best-tofu-scrambles.htm

bon appétit!
  • superpowers2016
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Tofu scramble!

Here's some ideas and how-to: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/tofurecipes/tp/best-tofu-scrambles.htm

bon appétit!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am not a fan of tofu or soy products but those recipes do look good.
  • appleton1970
    appleton1970 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I find most of my recipes from pinterest!
  • superpowers2016
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I find most of my recipes from pinterest!

Can't go wrong with pinterest that site can get addictive real quick.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble!

bon appétit!

Tofu is highly processed...

My vote would be nuts and fruit. I love cashews and dried fruit. Makes for a good snack too.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Tofu scramble!

bon appétit!

Tofu is highly processed...

My vote would be nuts and fruit. I love cashews and dried fruit. Makes for a good snack too.

Really? which step makes it highly processed - the boiling of the soy milk or the adding a magnesium salt to the soy milk? Or does letting the mixture cool make it highly processed?

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/soy/homemade-tofu/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This recipe is really good. I like to make it with cherries and mango: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/20/high-protein-quinoa-almond-berry-salad/
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do a smoothie most mornings since it's easy. You can add whatever protein powder you want, lots of brands like raw, organic, vegan protein powder. Sunwarrior is my favorite.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    here's what I do
    But also this may help:
    1.5 c of lentils is 30g protein also you can use a protein mix with a smoothie.

My vegan breakfast =

1/2 cup - 1 cup Whole Grain (quinoa, amaranth, millet, or any other)
    black beans, corn, diced tomatoes
    (optional) Table spoon chia seeds
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Tofu is processed, but if I wanted a vegan breakfast with a decent amount of protein and no protein powder I'd likely sautee some tofu with some vegetables or keep some leftover black beans and rice on hand and heat it up and add vegetables.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    A black bean bowl with salsa and guacamole would be tasty and a good shot of protein! You could make it into a taco or burrito too if you wanted.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are my favorite for breakfast. Tons of protein. I eat them at 8:30 and am not hungry again until well after noon.

1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 T creamy or chunky peanut butter (or any other nut butter you want)
    1 T maple syrup (the real stuff)
    3/4 T chia seeds
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats

Mix everything but the oats together in a bowl. Not all of the peanut butter will mix in and that's okay because it leaves you with delicious gobs of peanut butter the next day! Once mixed, sprinkle in the oats and stir again, then press down lightly on the surface to ensure that all of the oats are submerged in the liquid. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight. The next day, top with any type of fruit, more peanut butter, cinnamon, dark chocolate, dried fruit... whatever you want! Delicious, filling, naturally sweetened, and tons and tons of plant-powered protein.

Enjoy!

xoxo
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kzooyogi wrote: »
    Overnight oats are my favorite for breakfast. Tons of protein. I eat them at 8:30 and am not hungry again until well after noon.

I ran that recipe since I was wondering how it was high protein (I eat steel cut oats regularly, and they are not high protein on their own), and I guess we just have different definitions. I get 16 g of protein for 475 calories for that recipe.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of oats is not much protein at all. Protein is in greek yogurt, meat, eggs, tofu.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of oats is not much protein at all. Protein is in greek yogurt, meat, eggs, tofu.

Plant sources of protein also include beans, tempeh, and seitan.