What to do instead of eating?

Options
I work a 9-5 desk job (IT) that keeps me stationary for most of the day. On the days I have a lot to do (going to/from offices, fixing things, etc) I'm not focused on food at all and can easily stay within my calories, however it's the days I'm sitting at my desk waiting for something to break that I end up eating too much.

So, do any of you other desk jockeys have recommendations of things to do besides eating when work is slow?

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Surf the internet! Go for a walk outside around the office building. Log onto this website and read some success stories. Keep healthier foods in your desk for snacks so you're not eating chocolate and other junk that might be lurking in the office, etc. Join a gym nearby your office and workout there a couple times a week on lunch.

I work 8-4 at a desk and know how easy it is to eat the junk laying around in the office (cupcakes, bagels, cookies, snacks, cake, etc). Eating out of boredom is a hard habit to break. Try to keep yourself busy with other things that interest you so you're not thinking about food and eventually you will disassociate eating with boredom.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You are at work right? Why not work!? You have enough time on your hands at work to eat and eat more calories than you do any other time of the day and goof off? I need your job!!!!
  • nikki8412
    nikki8412 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Same here. I swear I have to have something even when I'm not hungry. I try chewing xylitol gum and drinking water. I drink so it forces me to get up and go to the bathroom/get some steps in. Also, tea is 0 calories and dulls the appetite somewhat?
    The hardest part for me/you will just be recognizing the grazing habit and try quitting it altogether.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    try a standing desk or build a treadmill desk, so you're not sitting so much.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I bought a Playstation Vita for this very reason. Though I spend most of my time in a truck right now, and not a desk, it's very similar. Minimal movement, lots of downtime, etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Write up common troubleshooting problems, hints and tips for the company newsletter.
    Chew on gum.
    Write up a proposal to securely dispose of surplus equipment instead of gathering dust in the back storage room. Then volunteer to do the job.
    Desk stretches.
    Chew on a swizzle stick.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I make sure to always have something to drink with flavor in it. Doesn't have to be a calorie-laden drink, a 0 calorie soda or flavored water is enough - I just need something to do with my hands and the drinking a liquid satisfies it.
  • nail_polish
    nail_polish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Research under desk stationary bike. they are great!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a similar job...I just don't eat. Not being trite or anything but I seriously just don't.

There is lots around me but I make the choice...
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have designated morning and afternoon snack times, and i don't eat outside of that. I also only bring enough food for each day, so even if I eat "early", that just means there isn't anything later.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The only food I eat is what I bring with me in the morning. I keep no extra snacks at my desk, and I pretend the vending machine downstairs doesn't exist. For me, the hours I'm at work are the easiest to control in regards to eating. The days I work from home are the real battle.
  • FlyingA
    FlyingA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    The only food I eat is what I bring with me in the morning. I keep no extra snacks at my desk, and I pretend the vending machine downstairs doesn't exist. For me, the hours I'm at work are the easiest to control in regards to eating. The days I work from home are the real battle.

This exactly! Work from home days are so hard!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    On the days I'm not super busy, I like to browse the success stories forum. Makes it a little easier to resist snacking, though a client just brought in home made chocolate chip cookies and *damn* I am for sure being tempted right now -_-
  • LostintheAmazon
    LostintheAmazon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Drinking tea or a low-cal beverage, hot or cold, is something that I do. I tell myself that I won't eat anything else until I finish, and by then I'm not hungry. I found that a hot beverage like tea or black coffee actually makes me feel fuller, probably has to do with the caffeine somewhat though.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options

This is me too! I was really struggling today. I logged everything I brought with me at the beginning of the day and then even told my staff to stop me if they saw me eating anything else. I just went on with my day and it wasn't as bad. I'm sure once this becomes routine I won't even notice it any more. The hard days will be the days vendors give us food. More then likely those days I'll just switch lunch to dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well when I was working, I wasn't allowed to eat at the desk, so... I played a lot of Windows games and surfed the web a lot.
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Get on MFP and look at the success stories.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Drinking tea or a low-cal beverage, hot or cold, is something that I do. I tell myself that I won't eat anything else until I finish, and by then I'm not hungry. I found that a hot beverage like tea or black coffee actually makes me feel fuller, probably has to do with the caffeine somewhat though.

Coffee works for me too when I'm thinking that I'm hungry or want something sweet. I make mine with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and a tbsp of sugar free creamer and Splenda. 35 calories and it fills me up and satisfies my sweet tooth.