3 years of healthy changes and 76 pounds later.... (pics)

Options
becbo22
becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
edited July 2016 in Success Stories
Hey everyone! I've posted here before but I wanted to do an update on my progress.

3 years ago at a doctor's appointment, I stepped on the scale to see that my weight had ballooned up to 302 pounds. After leaving college after a breakup and a fight with depression which resulted to turning to food for comfort, I finally saw what all of those late night binges added up to. I have never been a thin person. I was a pudgy kid, and always bigger than my friends as a teenager. In high school I hovered between 190-220, and at 5'11" that's not terrible, but it was still enough to make me feel like an outcast. Seeing that 302 on the scale was a huge red flag. I mean, I knew I had gained weight, but I didn't realize how serious it actually was. At the age of 21 I was diagnosed with hypertension and put on medication for it. Another red flag. It was then I knew something HAD to change.

I got a part time job working in the nutritional department of a hospital which involved a lot of walking. At first I didn't change my eating much but the weight started to come off because of the increased activity. I then started to become a little more aware of portion sizes. I logged on MFP fairly often and managed to lose about 50 pounds in 6 months. For some reason that I'm not entirely certain of now, I stopped logging for about a year and gained back about 15 pounds. I restarted my journey in November 2015 at 262 pounds- but this time I was armed with a food scale! I have logged into myfitnesspal every day since- I currently have a 285 day streak going- and I have weighed and logged my food every day with the exception of a 1 week mental health break I took recently. Today I'm weighing in at about 225, I completed my first half marathon in May, and I have become a certified personal trainer so that I may help others reach their goals. My goal weight is 180. I currently lift weights 3 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week. My rule when it comes to eating: if I you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. Stay away from chemicals and processed garbage. REAL food is the way to go. And yes, I still eat ice cream and treats, just made with quality ingredients and in moderation.

To those lurking in the threads for inspiration- just get started! Every little healthier choice adds up. Go for a 15 minute walk. Add veggies to your dinner, do SOMETHING for your health each day. This journey is full of challenges, and I still face my old habits trying to come back all the time, but it is SO worth it in the end! Never stop fighting to become the best you you can be! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! Also don't be afraid to send me a friend request, I'm on here every day!

Picture time!

9rorzr88a9ij.jpg

The bandages in the first picture were from gallbladder surgery, and I did have a tummy tuck in September 2015 to remove an apron of excess skin.

vp5kjnpparxc.jpg

Replies

• amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • Quilterbunny
    Quilterbunny Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I always enjoy seeing your comments and pictures on my feed. Your arms look incredible btw. :)
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Congrats! I'm glad you found a way of living and eating that helps you meet your goals!! :)

Just in case, to any noobs out there:
    becbo22 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I've posted here before but I wanted to do an update on my progress.

I got a part time job working in the nutritional department of a hospital which involved a lot of walking. At first I didn't change my eating much but the weight started to come off because of the increased activity. I then started to become a little more aware of portion sizes. I logged on MFP fairly often and managed to lose about 50 pounds in 6 months. For some reason that I'm not entirely certain of now, I stopped logging for about a year and gained back about 15 pounds. I restarted my journey in November 2015 at 262 pounds- but this time I was armed with a food scale! I have logged into myfitnesspal every day since- I currently have a 285 day streak going- and I have weighed and logged my food every day with the exception of a 1 week mental health break I took recently. Today I'm weighing in at about 225, I completed my first half marathon in May, and I have become a certified personal trainer so that I may help others reach their goals. My goal weight is 180. I currently lift weights 3 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week. My rule when it comes to eating: if I you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. Stay away from chemicals and processed garbage. REAL food is the way to go. And yes, I still eat ice cream and treats, just made with quality ingredients and in moderation.

To those lurking in the threads for inspiration- just get started! Every little healthier choice adds up. Go for a 15 minute walk. Add veggies to your dinner, do SOMETHING for your health each day. This journey is full of challenges, and I still face my old habits trying to come back all the time, but it is SO worth it in the end! Never stop fighting to become the best you you can be! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! Also don't be afraid to send me a friend request, I'm on here every day!

The part I bolded is not necessary for weight loss. Many people here on MFP, including myself, have lost weight and maintained weight eating whatever we want, including highly processed foods and foods with ingredients that are hard to pronounce. On top of that, the can't-pronounce-it rule is not the best, especially when foods like quinoa exist and that there are foods/chemicals in nature that are good for you, or at least harmless, and are given complicated names. All food is real food. This rule works for OP, but for others, this rule can lead to unhappiness and feelings of deprivation. It's been reiterated time and time again. You only need to create a deficit to lose weight. No. It's not a good idea to eat high calorie and/or less nutrient dense foods all day long. Micro and macronutrients are essential to health and satiety. However, at the end of the day, it's the calorie deficit that will cause the weight loss. Moderation over elimination.
  • aahart78
    aahart78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Rockstar!!!
  • katielynn107
    katielynn107 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job!

What do you do for cardio? I notice you're in a planet fitness- I recently signed up for one in my area- I stick to hard interval training for 20-25 minutes and burn 200-240 Cals. I usually have limited time due to child care issues- I want to start lifting (I have lifted before and prior to kids I did crossfit) what do you suggest for strength training with limited time?
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You go girl
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job!

What do you do for cardio? I notice you're in a planet fitness- I recently signed up for one in my area- I stick to hard interval training for 20-25 minutes and burn 200-240 Cals. I usually have limited time due to child care issues- I want to start lifting (I have lifted before and prior to kids I did crossfit) what do you suggest for strength training with limited time?

My cardio varies, but I like to run. I also do intervals on cardio equipment at planet fitness. As far as strength training with limited time- focus on compound moves that engage a lot of muscles at once- squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press. Just make sure you don't do this on back to back days. Your body needs a day in between to recover.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Rock & Roll Kid. What a fantastic, and inspiring post. Also let's not to forget to mention that you look spectacular!
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You look great. Thank you for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!