I have a question about swimming

Options
If I swim at the YMCA swimming pool for 3-4 hours a week, how many calories do I lose?

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you do. Calories burned for lap swimming are different than of you take an aqua aerobics class. Look up the different swimming strokes on the exercise part of the blue bar tab.
  • ThatChelseaAnn
    ThatChelseaAnn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you type swimming in the exercise portion of the APP it will calculate it for you however in my opinion I think the APP over calculates the calories burned.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    i swim almost daily, i put in what i do at the pool
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    an example: for me doing a deep water aqua aerobics class for an hr is 426 calories burned. If I decide to swim laps freestyle 25 min fast is 443 calories. At the pool I attend, the lanes can get quite crowded, so I mostly do the classes offered.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you swim laps, here's a calculator: http://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-swimming/

My warning would be that MFP goes by perceived intensity, and people often think "felt intense to me" when they aren't actually swimming hard enough (as measured by meters/minute) to meet what is defined as intense. I'm a slow but steady swimmer, so I tend to log light effort when logging exercise, even if I go to a masters swim class and do some hard intervals and feel totally beat afterwards.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would be careful logging for swimming , that you don't overestimate. I usually log swimming as light/moderate unless you are a super fast swimmer! So I burn about half of that. About 200 for 25 mins