Breakfast ideas for Ibs sufferers

Options
Kaylee6349
Kaylee6349 Posts: 18 Member
Hello! I find that breakfast is the most difficult meal to pick as healthy eating and Ibs limits the options. I start my day with usually boiled egg or scrambled egg but I am getting bored of egg over and over. I can't really eat bread because it leaves me painfully bloated for the rest of the day. Cheese and any food that is greasy or full of fat is also off the menu due to Ibs. As is most dairy such as yogurts. I have tried turkey sausages which I enjoyed but they were three times the price of normal sausages and hard to find. What do you have for breakfast? And anyone with Ibs do you fee like eating healthy had made your stomach more sensitive to food in general? Thank you

Replies

• wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast as well and yes, it can get old after a while without a little work. You could always try the egg/banana pancakes. just mash up a ripe banana and mix with 2 whisked eggs and cook just like pancakes. I make my own protein oatmeal packs in advance and use those as well. I've actually found eating healthy has improved my IBS issues over time although I can't tell whether it's been the removal of most sugars and all processed foods or the additional fiber I'm getting through my diet.
  • laura17192015
    laura17192015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A banana and a TBS of peanut butter is my favorite right now. If I feel really hungry I'll have another piece of fruit or some yogurt or cottage cheese
  • clinsmeyer
    clinsmeyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of eggs when I cook breakfast. I just dress them up with whatever we have leftover (Tex-Mex with black beans, salsa, cheddar sprinkle; Italian with grilled chicken, onion and marinara; Veggie with whatever leftover veggies).

When I'm running late and don't want to cook, I fall back on a Clif Bar.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It depends on what your triggers are. But for me (and I am not a breakfast fan) I go with high fiber and protein (as close to 30 grams of protein as I can). I make sure to make most of the protein plant based. What I like is a whole grain (millet, amaranth, quinoa, etc), black beans, corn, and tomatoes. I add a table spoon of chia also.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat refried beans. It's not one of my triggers though. I add either salsa and a half serving of light sour cream, or BBQ sauce.
  • jessdvr1
    jessdvr1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand your dilemma! Cottage cheese, muesli, anything fried, milk and any kind of yogurt kills me, as well as high fibre cereal. I also hate eggs with a passion, so I eat just normal cereal. Not particularly healthy, but it keeps my stomach happy. Its so hard to eat the right macros when all the right foods trigger your IBS
  • Vampireneko
    Vampireneko Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I understand, I suffer from IBS as well but I think everyone has certain triggers. For me it's *fairly* manageable as I've been able to pinpoint what triggers me - and the most important part for me is usually how much of it.
    I've been doing great having a bit of Oatmeal and 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter mixed in, cooked in unsweetened almond milk, topped with a sliced banana, about 7 grams of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and a dash of cinnamon. :) Eggs do get boring after a while lol
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Steak or bacon with the eggs? Or an omelette type breakfast with spinach, veggies and others meats. It's easy to get tired of boiled eggs not so much scrambled eggs. For me anyway.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just discovered egg cups....1/4 whole wheat tortilla lining each cup of a muffin tin. beat eggs (8 for 12 muffins), add any kind of meat u'd like to put in cheese on top, bacon bits on top...into a muffin tin and into the oven. Bake at 350 for about 20 min. They are delicious!

Also - yogurt with all bran on top...adds the crunch

Smoothies
  • musicathy
    musicathy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its not a recipe idea, but try adding Psyllium to your diet - I prefer the powder over the husks. I'll mix it with a bit of unsweetened apple sauce to make it easier to take. It has made my IBS symptoms lessen SO MUCH its unbelievable, it even allows me to eat foods I previously couldn't because I'd be in the bathroom within minutes. You can also mix it into smoothies or other recipes. You only need about 1tsp/day.