hrm reliable but not break the bank?

Options
Does anyone know of a good, reliable, dare-I-say accurate heart rate monitor that is not overly expensive? I have heard the ones from walmart (roughly $20-25) are junk. any thoughts? i'd like to get one, but i dont want to get one that is crappy, but in the same token, i dont want to spend a ton. hello rock, wont you meet hard place? haha. thanks.

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I also am interested in this.
  • ilovecreg120809
    ilovecreg120809 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    polar ft4 for $65 from amazon
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you consider too much, i got my polar ft7 for $83. kinda alot but was doable for me , and after having a cheap crappy walmart one that quite taking heart rates all together after 3 month. I was quite willing to but out the 83 bucks
  • Lissaannco
    Lissaannco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have tried both the expensive and the inexpensive HRMs. Our expensive one, Timex, had its own set of issues and we paid over $100 for it. We are both currently using the $50 ones from Walmart, mine is a SportLine and his is a ProForm. We've had problems with them, but nothing too serious and they seem to be pretty accurate. Just make sure you get the one with the chest strap, we've found that the "touch" function on the watches is does not work too well. Walmart is pretty easy to deal with if you have a problem and need to return the watch. Good luck!!
  • Jaded_GRL
    Jaded_GRL Posts: 42
    Options
    I had a $30 one from k-mart, it was ok for checking heart rate - but it didn't have a chest strap so it only monitored while you were touching the watch feature. I returned it at my next paycheck. took that $30 and added another $30 to it to get a $60 one at spports authority. It is a Sportline Duo 1010 dual use heart rate monitor. designed with a smaller watch face for woman (the other one was lots bigger and in the way on my wrist. It comes with a chest strap so it seems to work great, the strap can pinch me during certain weight lifting excercises, but I just slip a folded tissue in the buckle spot to prevent pinches before I start. it gives me a read on calories burned as well as fat grams burned. it can be set up to beep when your rate is to low or to high, but I turned that off because it KEEPS beeping until you get back in zone, It says it can be used during light swimming - but I haven't got up the nerve yet to try it (don't want something to happen to it).
    YOU SHOULD DEF BUY A MONITOR. best way to know more about your body and the workout, plus you can see a fast responce in physical condition becasue you can see how much more work it starts to take to get your heart rate up. even if you just start with the cheap watch that doesn't have a chest strap, it gives you a decent idea as loong as you touch the screen often enough. Just make sure it has a calorie counter becasue that makes entering your excersies on here easier - the autofil calculations for MFP seems way off for me most of the time.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7. Great units for less than $100.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump