Shoes for Zumba?

Options
I am fortunate enough to have a great employer that has limited workout classes, including Zumba, onsite at lunch. My current issue that the room we have the classes in is carpeted, so my shoes are always catching on the floor when trying to slide, spin, etc....does anyone have any good shoe suggestions that work well for you?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I don't think any shoe would be ideal on carpet, but maybe a pair of those little smooth sole flat evening slippers would work. (The ones that you can fold into your purse.)

Cheers, h.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You could maybe try dance trainers. They tend to have a smooth sole.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ballet slippers
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ballet slippers

I thought ballet slippers at first but they have a chammie sole so they would grip the carpet.

A leather soled dance pump would do it if you could find one that is not too hard.

Cheers, h.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Several good ideas...thanks everyone!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Look online. You can buy little smooth covers to go over sneakers. They don't cover the shoe completely, just sort of put a band around the ball area. Doesn't work well for heel work, but does the trick for most steps. I do videos at home sometime and have found I get blisters or ankle pain if I don't wear shoes. These are very helpful.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ballet slippers won't give you any support. Zumba is both a front to back motion, as well as a side to side motion. You can really injure your joints that way. You need cross trainers.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    Ballet slippers won't give you any support. Zumba is both a front to back motion, as well as a side to side motion. You can really injure your joints that way. You need cross trainers.

I noticed today in class that someone was wearing shoes that actually said 'zumba' on the back of them..looked pretty much like tennis shoes. I'll have to see what those are. But yeah, I'd kinda wondered how ballet slippers would work. With the jumping around and fast cardio style dancing, those probably aren't the best, come to think of it. I'll look into cross trainers as well..I've currently been wearing my Brooks running shoes, which aren't made for this kind of thing, of course.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    Look online. You can buy little smooth covers to go over sneakers. They don't cover the shoe completely, just sort of put a band around the ball area. Doesn't work well for heel work, but does the trick for most steps. I do videos at home sometime and have found I get blisters or ankle pain if I don't wear shoes. These are very helpful.

I'll check on those, too. I agree...trying to do zumba without shoes would probably not be a pleasant experience. i do belly dancing without them, but it's much lower impact. Thanks for the suggestion..I'll check Amazon.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    The Zumba TM shoes have a circle where the ball of the foot is on the sole to help with the planted foot spin. Otherwise close to a cross trainer.

I too belly dance bare footed.

Cheers, h.
  • IslaTiempo
    IslaTiempo Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate enough to have a great employer that has limited workout classes, including Zumba, onsite at lunch. My current issue that the room we have the classes in is carpeted, so my shoes are always catching on the floor when trying to slide, spin, etc....does anyone have any good shoe suggestions that work well for you?

They sell the slip on socks for your sneakers and work very well on carpet. 10.00-15.00 :)

• olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    The Zumba TM shoes have a circle where the ball of the foot is on the sole to help with the planted foot spin. Otherwise close to a cross trainer.

I too belly dance bare footed.

Cheers, h.

You don't have to go for Zumba TM shoes specifically. All dancing / hip hop shoes have these circles (see Reebok Dance Urtempo or Dance Urlead shoes for example). It's so much easier to twist and turn 360 degrees with these shoes that I recommend them to anyone interested in Zumba or dancing. :smile:
    IslaTiempo wrote: »

They sell the slip on socks for your sneakers and work very well on carpet. 10.00-15.00 :)

That's the only thing I could recommend for your case. Though Zumba or dancing should not be done on carpet.