Stubborn belly fat

Options
MaxT370
MaxT370 Posts: 274 Member
My belly fat is ABSOLUTELY stubborn and refuses to leave.

What kinds of exercises have worked for you? I'm doing crunches, jack knives, bicycle kicks, knee tucks, mountain climbers, prone paddles, Russian twists.... losing from everywhere but there.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No exercise will target fat, only strengthen/grow underlying musculature.

Fat is consumed by taking in less calories than you use, and comes off dependent on your genetics.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I will be 4 years into my weight loss and getting healthier journey(on aug 3rd) and I still have some belly fat.(went from a 38 waist to a 28 so far). Im still losing it,but it takes time. it comes off where it wants when it wants so you have to be patient.Im losing it slowly. but yeah to lose fat you need to be in a deficit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You just have to stick to your deficit and keep losing.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's all been said. You just need to keep eating at a deficit.
  • schairish09
    schairish09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cut out ALL OF MY DAIRY PRODUCTS AND LOST MY BELLY FAT
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The other otherrs summed it up perfectly. Keep on going at deficit. Unfortunately your genetics will determine how you lose weight I've lost 70 pounds and my belly has reduced but the fat is still there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

^I love this link so much.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's quite a long article with many good points but if I had to summarize I would pick this paragraph from the article

Beating belly fat requires that a client produce calorie deficits in the context of hormone balance. Understanding how carbohydrates and stress will impact cortisol and insulin is the first critical step to understanding a more holistic approach to belly fat. From there, you can use more nuanced approaches for visceral versus subcutaneous fat and female versus male belly fat. The keys to beating belly fat include a higher-protein diet, as well as a modified carbohydrate intake, along with stress management techniques.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It's quite a long article with many good points but if I had to summarize I would pick this paragraph from the article

Beating belly fat requires that a client produce calorie deficits in the context of hormone balance. Understanding how carbohydrates and stress will impact cortisol and insulin is the first critical step to understanding a more holistic approach to belly fat. From there, you can use more nuanced approaches for visceral versus subcutaneous fat and female versus male belly fat. The keys to beating belly fat include a higher-protein diet, as well as a modified carbohydrate intake, along with stress management techniques.

Which article?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    What sort of food you eat or exercises you do has nothing at all to do with having belly fat. (unless it's a medical condition, then obviously...)

On many folks the belly is the very LAST to go. So you can do crunches all day, every day and you won't lose it until you reduce your all over body fat.

Someone on MFP had said that losing belly fat was like trying to dry out just one corner of a sponge. It doesn't work like that.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than what you need, you'll gain weight. If you want to lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit. Now losing certain fat in one area, for example, stomach. Will only depends on your genetic. Your body will take fat off wherever it prefers. Me, I lose fat on my face first, second legs, third arms, then back, next chest, and my last one is my stomach area. I wish I could lose fat in my stomach first...
  • ChrisVassell
    ChrisVassell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Losing belly fat is really a game of patience and faith.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. If you think it's the exercises burning the fat then explain why your arms are also losing fat, what about people's faces? They get thinner with the more fat you lose yet I've never seen anyone doing lip curls as an exercise at the gym.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Hey @dewd2 it's from an IdeaFit article that apparently isn't available to non-members but I am allowed to share it. If you pm me your email address I can share it with you. Have a read and see what you think. I've taken a few courses on hormones and body fat and it's quite interesting. Whether I subscribe to the science or not, at least it's another tool I can share with people.

Consider you have 10 people all weighing the same and all wanting to lose 20 pounds. They are all put on the same caloric deficit. After say 2 weeks you would expect them to lose the exact same amount of weight but in the real world you would rarely see that happen. In science we know that while calories in/out is at the heart of weight loss...there are other factors involved as well.

Not trying to convince anyone, but if you want to read it let me know

I do not want to buy anything and I have read the actual research. I am not fooled that easily but thank you anyway.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @dewd2...little confused. I wasn't trying to sell you anything and I'm hardly the magician I used to be so I'm glad you weren't fooled (I do so love fooling people with science facts). I do however apologize from the bottom of my heart though that my answer made you so angry...sure didn't mean to get your cortisol levels up
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I cut out ALL OF MY DAIRY PRODUCTS AND LOST MY BELLY FAT

I quit eating tofu and mushrooms. I've lost a good deal of weight since then.
  • nitesky83
    nitesky83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1lb to my prepregnancy weight but bottom bulge remains. I workout a lot too. 5npj7ihxzdyj.jpg