Salt cravings ugh!!

Options
jinny1313
jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
Ok so I'll say that I don't need to lose 20 pounds and I know everyone wants to "tone up" like I do. However, the struggle is real! I'm really trying to eat better and my daily caloric intake is pretty low, but that is typical for me. What I can't get past is my salt cravings! Any advice or ideas? Thank you!!

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure or has your doctor told you that you need to cut sodium?
  • jinny1313
    Options
    No for either, I just feel it's something I should do. I'm a total night owl so it's late at night that I start to want pizza and chips, I don't always indulge but would like to figure out a way to not have those cravings. I've heard that fasting for a week can really help curb those, that or doing some kind of juice fast to cleanse the system. Not sure on either though so looking for some guidance, thanks!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Cleanses and long fasts are unnecessary, and can be harmful. Try just removing and foods from your home that trigger a binge. If it's just light snacking then make sure it fits into your calorie goals. Sodium has been overhyped for years as being a problem and there has been a recent shift relaxing the restrictions. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're exercising and eating a potassium rich diet.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Put some salt in your mouth and see if that fixes your craving....a whole lot less calories than chips or pizza
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just salt your food...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie diets, liquid diets, and fasts just make your body sad and limp. It gives up any hope that food is coming soon. Consider also the consequences for your bowels, which will either come to a screeching halt or let loose like a runaway train. Been there....

I cut back on my salt to help lower blood pressure. I did a lot more home cooking and used hot sauces, garlic, spices, and very fresh food. I got used to peanuts without added salt. You can also purchase No Salt which is potassium chloride. These days however I tend to add 3/4 salt, 1/4 potassium where salt is asked for in a recipe. I figure a balance of potassium and sodium is pretty well ideal for my system.

If you are craving high-fat, high-salt snacks in the evening, you are likely looking for tension release after a stressful day. There are other things you can do like go for a run, chase some Pokemons, Lift Heavy Things, yoga, or have a bubble bath.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nocturnal Pokemons.

nocturnal_pokemon_by_hobbyheart-da1mb3f.jpg
  • jinny1313
    Options
    Thanks all!

It's not that the food I eat I can't put salt on. I guess I'm just looking for better ways to avoid eating junk. I don't indulge all the time, I just wish I didn't have to fight the cravings for salt.
  • opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would steer clear of cleanses/fasts as well. Some snacks that work for me when I get salty cravings are single serve packs of olives (like Oloves brand), and roasted seaweed snacks! Those may sound kinda weird but find whatever works for you to satisfy your craving while fitting your nutritional goals. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So you're eating low calorie and craving salt/junk a lot? Probably not eating enough and probably actually need some salt.
  • jinny1313
    Options
    Love the roasted seaweed snacks!! Olives are a good one too!! Thank you!!

As for my caloric intake, it's kind of how I've always eaten and so my doctor says that every person has different needs and if my body is functioning then my caloric intake can stay where it is, but will definitely try to balance my metrics better, thanks all!!