Viva Mayr Diet... No Thank You! (my opinion )

Options
Has anyone ever heard of this??? I recently picked up a copy of Woman’s World and saw a featured article about The Viva Mayr Diet. I loved what it said. It had a days worth of meals and they seemed very easy to make.
Last year I started my weight loss journey and within 6 months I lost 35 lbs, by counting calories, exercising and eating every 3-4 hours. Sadly, even after a promise I made to myself that I would bury the 200s forever; today I am back over 200. I stopped calorie counting and exercising. Old habits were too easy to fall into. Good news... I am getting back in the game :)
SSSSOOO, having said all of that... I decided after seeing that article on this diet, I would pick up the book just for some meal ideas and tips. MISTAKE. I want to save anyone else from doing the same thing. This book actually says it is OK to skip meals. And it doesn’t condone snacking between meals. Just 3 meals a day. (And a few ridiculous ones at that, not at all family friendly.) Sorry, would never eat "fresh trout spread" let alone have my kids eat it. LOL. So no wonder this famous diet clinic in Austria is so popular! Of course you lose weight! You’re starved, eating 3 meals a day including Spelt bread. This is pretty much stale bread. Lol There are a few things in this book that makes sense. Like the part that talks about chewing your food. Yes, we need to eat slower to give our brain time to catch up. Although, I don’t think I could chew each bite 30 to 40 times. The food would liquefy and I would probably make myself sick, LOL!

PERSONALLY, and this is just MY opinion, I think watching the calories and exercising is the only way to do this. Forget the books claming "14 days to a flatter stomach..." and all the diet pills. Being determined and sticking with it is the best and healthiest way to lose weight. I can’t wait to get back down to where I was before my hiatus. I was like a machine.

Good luck to you all!! :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree Shannon. I think we are doing the weight loss the best way here on MFP. We can eat just about everything as long as it's in our calorie limit.. Of course we don't need to eat junk, but as far as meals I can go to my freezer and find a lot of good healthy foods to eat...I don't have to buy a lot of foods at the store...
  • rlynnt
    rlynnt Posts: 1
    Options
    It's not just about calories, though. And exercise, while extremely helpful for health, doesn't make much of a difference weight-wise unless you are doing intense hardcore workouts. I've lost over 30 pounds without counting calories, fat grams or carbs. Just basically staying away from sugar makes all the difference. I've got a huge sweet tooth, but fruit plus sugar subs made from sugar alcohols like Maltitol or Xylitol make it so much easier to lose weight. When I absolutely need a candy bar, I grab Atkins bars. While not exactly dirt cheap, they are affordable as special treats. And since they have practically no sugar and are filled with fiber, they are extremely satisfying. Most are delicious.

The weight loss app on my phone says I need to eat about 800 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week, but I'm losing almost twice that much eating a couple of hundred calories more. For quick weight loss, and long term maintenance, just cut added sugar almost completely from your diet.

The medical establishment in America needs to let go of its theory regarding healthy eating. Since publishing its food pyramid, obesity in this country has skyrocketed. Yet they keep harping on calories and exercise. It doesn't work, and never has. The best article I've seen about this lately is: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/06/why-the-campaign-to-stop-america-s-obesity-crisis-keeps-failing.html

We're lucky to have so many tasty low & no sugar choices available today. Forget the calories and ditch the sugar. Fill up on fiber and the cravings will go away. It's okay to treat yourself once a week or so, but with so many good things that don't spike your blood sugar, it's not necessary to so more often than that.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Please stop buying/reading Women's World.

If any of their suggested diets worked...why would there need to be a new one every month?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't take issue with your comments on the diet, as I'm not familiar with it. But spelt bread, made well, is gorgeous, and has nothing to do with 'stale bread'. It's made with an ancient grain (traditional 'spelt' wheat) and it's very yummy indeed.
  • ak10388
    ak10388 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I just saw this thread and thought I'd post my experience as well. I chanced on the Viva Mayr diet while reading a celebrity story online and I thought, hey why not? Looks doable, and some of the things on it make sense. Like every diet, I only follow it 75% of the time, because that's what's usually sustainable. I've also gone gluten-free. I follow the general rules - no raw food after 4, chew everything at least 30-40 times, drink 3 litres of water everyday, drink up any herbal tea, don't drink water 15 mins before and an hour after a meal. I've been doing this for quite a while now, and I have dramatcially changed, and by changed I don't mean lost a ton of kilos. I've become a lot more active, I eat with care, I chew EVERYTHING, my skin looks great, I feel really energetic and I've lost a couple of kilos, (I used to weigh 63, I'm 58 now with a sustained diet and HIIT workouts for about 20 minutes). I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about a year ago and weightloss has been a really difficult journey for me over the past few months. Practicing some of the things in this diet and helped me immensely. Give it a try and maybe it'll change your life too!
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    rlynnt wrote: »
    It's not just about calories, though. And exercise, while extremely helpful for health, doesn't make much of a difference weight-wise unless you are doing intense hardcore workouts. I've lost over 30 pounds without counting calories, fat grams or carbs. Just basically staying away from sugar makes all the difference. I've got a huge sweet tooth, but fruit plus sugar subs made from sugar alcohols like Maltitol or Xylitol make it so much easier to lose weight. When I absolutely need a candy bar, I grab Atkins bars. While not exactly dirt cheap, they are affordable as special treats. And since they have practically no sugar and are filled with fiber, they are extremely satisfying. Most are delicious.

The weight loss app on my phone says I need to eat about 800 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week, but I'm losing almost twice that much eating a couple of hundred calories more. For quick weight loss, and long term maintenance, just cut added sugar almost completely from your diet.

The medical establishment in America needs to let go of its theory regarding healthy eating. Since publishing its food pyramid, obesity in this country has skyrocketed. Yet they keep harping on calories and exercise. It doesn't work, and never has. The best article I've seen about this lately is: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/06/why-the-campaign-to-stop-america-s-obesity-crisis-keeps-failing.html

We're lucky to have so many tasty low & no sugar choices available today. Forget the calories and ditch the sugar. Fill up on fiber and the cravings will go away. It's okay to treat yourself once a week or so, but with so many good things that don't spike your blood sugar, it's not necessary to so more often than that.

Just because you aren't counting calories doesn't mean calories don't apply. By cutting out the things you said you are inevitably cutting down your calories, thus creating a calorie deficit which causes weight loss. It's a simple concept, and absolutely no scientific research ever has found anything but a calorie deficit to work to produce weight loss.
  • kiariv
    kiariv Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, there is no one approach for everyone. Some butcan eat less and lose, others eat more and can have the same loss. There are a lot of factors that contribute to the way you can lose weight. You have to learn your individual body and what works for you.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Holy necro thread batman.