Options
2»

Replies

• kiariv
    kiariv Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    kiariv wrote: »
    If you must continue with sugar, please use pure cane sugar, demerara, turbinado. Coconut sugar is also a good one. For a sugar substitute pure stevia is the best imo.

Why @kiariv ?

What difference does it make?

Those sugars have a much different response in your body than genetically modified beet sugar.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I use the sweetener, xylitol. It seems expensive to me, so I often use it, then add a package or two of Splenda.
  • PellerinSarah
    PellerinSarah Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I prefer honey and stevia as sugar alternative.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've tried them all. Stevia has the worst aftertaste to me, and some sort of vague bitterness. Xylitol is too "cool" as in, it feels like you are adding mints to your food interfering with the flavor. Sweet N' Low tastes chemical. Splenda is acceptable, but monk fruit's aftertaste is not bad at all, it's kind of "fruity". Aspartame is the best to me, only because I like diet soda so I'm used to it.

I still use sugar in most applications, but tend to do splenda in some things because, although not as good as some other choices, it's the most available sweetener in my local shop and one of the cheapest. I would have gone with monk fruit otherwise, but it's too expensive in comparison with limited availability which makes it not worth it for the purpose.

Other sweeteners like honey and dates have calories so I don't make effort to substitute them for sugar unless they work better taste-wise in particular recipes.

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I use splenda since it's a derivative of sugar and tastes roughly the same [it's sucralose, which the body can't easily metabolize so most of it passes through the body].