I want to try low to no carbs to burn fat - success stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote:
    Your diary indicates you are not weighing all your food. For example, what is banana, 0.5 (eg 7"). What does that even mean? Half a banana that measured 7 inches? For 45 cals?

I srsly did not think to weigh it - I usually buy small bananas and use half I guess I have to revamp a lot more than I thought
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote:
    Your diary indicates you are not weighing all your food. For example, what is banana, 0.5 (eg 7"). What does that even mean? Half a banana that measured 7 inches? For 45 cals?

I srsly did not think to weigh it - I usually buy small bananas and use half I guess I have to revamp a lot more than I thought

When I was eating banana's daily, I found they were never less than 100 calories.. and more typically around 120-130. Now extrapolate that across all food.

But on a side note, your current eating, might not be aligned to your goals. Many days are very low and you are only doing cardio. If you want to lose fat and be lean, a moderate deficit + weight training (structured program) is more ideal.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It doesn't feel like you're eating enough fat or carbs from looking at your diary. You may want to switch up some of those Bananas for (half or less of ) an avocado. Being somewhat low carb, I can't have Bananas at all because they contain so much sugar. Avocados have plenty of good carbs (fiber), very little sugar, and the kind of healthy fat your body will need/want with the amount of cardio you're doing. Celery sticks with VERY SMALL amounts of nut butter are also good, but you need to weigh the nut butters because those are very calorie dense and small misjudgements will cause big calorie swings.

If you're going to try a macro-oriented plan, you've got to commit to sticking to it or it doesn't work and you'll get frustrated. In that situation, you're better off changing your habits a little and focusing on CICO.
  • emd2570
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote:

When I was eating banana's daily, I found they were never less than 100 calories.. and more typically around 120-130. Now extrapolate that across all food.

But on a side note, your current eating, might not be aligned to your goals. Many days are very low and you are only doing cardio. If you want to lose fat and be lean, a moderate deficit + weight training (structured program) is more ideal.
    I haven't been logging in weights only cardio - but I assure you I am doing weights machines in gym as well as free weights at home - 4-5 xs a week
  • emd2570
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    It doesn't feel like you're eating enough fat or carbs from looking at your diary. You may want to switch up some of those Bananas for (half or less of ) an avocado. Being somewhat low carb, I can't have Bananas at all because they contain so much sugar. Avocados have plenty of good carbs (fiber), very little sugar, and the kind of healthy fat your body will need/want with the amount of cardio you're doing. Celery sticks with VERY SMALL amounts of nut butter are also good, but you need to weigh the nut butters because those are very calorie dense and small misjudgements will cause big calorie swings.

If you're going to try a macro-oriented plan, you've got to commit to sticking to it or it doesn't work and you'll get frustrated. In that situation, you're better off changing your habits a little and focusing on CICO.

I was eating the bananas w oatmeal which I just decided to give a break on - I am def buying a better scale and will try the avocados instead - I also have been using the powdered pnut butter - thanks for the advice
  • emd2570
    Options
    As many have mentioned here, what ends up causing so much of the loss with LCHF, is that many calorie dense foods are done away with. Pastas, potatoes, rice, breads, etc. This generally is more than sufficient to land most people in a decent caloric deficit, without calorie counting, just because of how carb heavy SAD is.

However, the margin for error is easy to screw yourself too. For example, overeating of nuts is one of the biggest tripping hazards that I've seen make keto dieters even more fat. But, if you are going truly zero carb, you won't have to worry about that as much, as nuts will be out. I personally find it genuinely difficult to eat enough high fat brisket, bacon, corned beef, etc. to go beyond my current deficit. It's part of the reason that I will have to start reincorporating some carbs when I go into a bulking phase for lifting, later this summer, after a couple of month stint with true ZC.

So basically, as long as you are maintaining a proper caloric deficit, and accurately keeping track of it, you will lose weight. Just don't expect the rapid early loss (water purge due to glycogen burnoff) to keep up beyond the first week. This often leads to people getting discouraged, assuming their deficit isn't working after a few days, blah blah, etc.

Also, apply to join this group if you haven't already: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

OP, if you do want to go low carb, the link in this thread is a good start. But just be aware that you not burn off fat any quicker, unless that means you have greater dietary compliance.

Also, if you go keto (sub 50g) you should be aware that you need to increase sodium (3000-5000mg a day) and may have to supplement with potassium/magnesium if you don't get enough electrolytes in your diet.

Thanks for the advice and info I just have to be careful w sodium I have hypertension and I'm on bp meds
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been doing Keto and I love it! It's super easy for me. I tried counting calories (been a member of MFP since 2011), and following a few different recommended macro combinations, I calculated my TDEE, I weighed my food, I did portioned containers and meal planning, I even got advice on my diet from a nutritionist. But i've never had this much success come so easily. I always hit a plateau and fail.
    This time Im eating EXACTLY the same amount of calories as I was before. (I'm following my TDEE, not eating less calories like people above are saying is the only reason why keto works) cravings for sweets are gone. I wouldn't even eat a donut if you put it in front of me which is crazy for me. The fat is just melting off. I feel great, Its definitely something i can see myself doing for the long term because i dont feel like im missing out or depriving myself I can still eat out if I want to, and theres so many low carb recipes for yummy things. even ice cream!
    Definitely join the Low carb group and good luck!
  • emd2570
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote:

I haven't been logging in weights only cardio - but I assure you I am doing weights machines in gym as well as free weights at home - 4-5 xs a week

4 oz banana 85 calories - thanks for pointing that out to me- I literally weighed everything for tomorrow - even my cashews and tomatoes and I see a difference in the amount !!!!!!!!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    As many have mentioned here, what ends up causing so much of the loss with LCHF, is that many calorie dense foods are done away with. Pastas, potatoes, rice, breads, etc. This generally is more than sufficient to land most people in a decent caloric deficit, without calorie counting, just because of how carb heavy SAD is.

However, the margin for error is easy to screw yourself too. For example, overeating of nuts is one of the biggest tripping hazards that I've seen make keto dieters even more fat. But, if you are going truly zero carb, you won't have to worry about that as much, as nuts will be out. I personally find it genuinely difficult to eat enough high fat brisket, bacon, corned beef, etc. to go beyond my current deficit. It's part of the reason that I will have to start reincorporating some carbs when I go into a bulking phase for lifting, later this summer, after a couple of month stint with true ZC.

So basically, as long as you are maintaining a proper caloric deficit, and accurately keeping track of it, you will lose weight. Just don't expect the rapid early loss (water purge due to glycogen burnoff) to keep up beyond the first week. This often leads to people getting discouraged, assuming their deficit isn't working after a few days, blah blah, etc.

Also, apply to join this group if you haven't already: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

OP, if you do want to go low carb, the link in this thread is a good start. But just be aware that you not burn off fat any quicker, unless that means you have greater dietary compliance.

Also, if you go keto (sub 50g) you should be aware that you need to increase sodium (3000-5000mg a day) and may have to supplement with potassium/magnesium if you don't get enough electrolytes in your diet.

Thanks for the advice and info I just have to be careful w sodium I have hypertension and I'm on bp meds

Then low carb might not good for you. Your generally need high sodium as a means to balance electrolytes. Generally those who go low carb without doing so really struggle to get past the carb flu and it could cause other issues.
  • emd2570
    Options
    I might have to rethink this then - thank u
  • emd2570
    Options
    I've been doing Keto and I love it! It's super easy for me. I tried counting calories (been a member of MFP since 2011), and following a few different recommended macro combinations, I calculated my TDEE, I weighed my food, I did portioned containers and meal planning, I even got advice on my diet from a nutritionist. But i've never had this much success come so easily. I always hit a plateau and fail.
    This time Im eating EXACTLY the same amount of calories as I was before. (I'm following my TDEE, not eating less calories like people above are saying is the only reason why keto works) cravings for sweets are gone. I wouldn't even eat a donut if you put it in front of me which is crazy for me. The fat is just melting off. I feel great, Its definitely something i can see myself doing for the long term because i dont feel like im missing out or depriving myself I can still eat out if I want to, and theres so many low carb recipes for yummy things. even ice cream!
    Definitely join the Low carb group and good luck!

Thank u !
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do this and once you add carbs back you'll gain it all back. Look into flexible dieting. Simply put you need to be burning more than you consume to drop weight, has nothing to do with carbs. Even in my last few weeks of prep I eat more than 50 carbs.
  • emd2570
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice -I really appreciate it - I was tracking some things incorrectly - THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT!!!!- I see now why I wasn't losing anymore
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice -I really appreciate it - I was tracking some things incorrectly - THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT!!!!- I see now why I wasn't losing anymore

Welcome to the club. :D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day - been burning 500 -( 7 days a week I increased It to )at gym w aerobic plus weights -should I be eating less then that ?

i would hypothesize that you might be under eating and your weight loss is stalled because you have put your body in a calorie deficient state for too long (aka starvation mode). You should check out TDEE and slowly increase your calories (i know it sounds insane, eating more to lose weight), but it actually does work
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day - been burning 500 -( 7 days a week I increased It to )at gym w aerobic plus weights -should I be eating less then that ?

i would hypothesize that you might be under eating and your weight loss is stalled because you have put your body in a calorie deficient state for too long (aka starvation mode). You should check out TDEE and slowly increase your calories (i know it sounds insane, eating more to lose weight), but it actually does work

Please do not listen to this advice. Starvation mode as it is described here does not exist.

OP, you have received some awesome advice in this thread regarding tracking, and it's awesome that you are taking that advice. Personally, accurately weighing and logging has made all the difference in the world, and I hope it helps you out too.