Supplements

Options
Getfitat54
Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
I am a 53 year old man, just getting back into the gym. I eat clean for the most part. I'm looking for avice on what supplements would be best for a 53 yr old guy. Other info.....
I'm 5'8" and weigh 220lbs, guessing around 30% bodyfat. Other than that I am pretty heathly, no meds other than an OTC Zantec.
I know weight is just numbers and everybody is different, but I'd love to get down to and STAY between 190-195.

Replies

• ehine1
    ehine1 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would recommend whey protein powder from Optimum Nutrition (Rocky Road flavor is quite good), as well as Animal Flex from Universal Nutrition (creators of the Animal Pak); it will help support your joints which might be in a bit of a shock if you're just starting to get back into the gym.

Other than that, I wouldn't waste too much money on supplements.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are no specific supplements for 53 year old men. Take whatever supplements your doctor advices based on blood tests.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My husband drinks a whey protein shake every morning. I bought a mini mixer for $14. I make it with skim milk and flaxmeal. He drinks Pure protein chocolate from walmart. He has lost weight counting calories here. Also takes a men's multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin d over the winter.
    Opinion: Eating right and under calories is 90% of the weight loss battle. Exercise for health.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Please don't apologize for having a weight goal--most everyone does. There's nothing wrong with a healthy weight goal.

Regarding your post..,there's no definition for "clean eating." No nutritional organizations recognize it; no nutritional organizations have standards for it. It's a made up term that has zero substance because its subject to individual interpretation.

As far as supplements are concerned, I think consensus in the medical and fitness industries is supplements should be secondary to whole food. Meaning you should aim to derive as much of your nutrients from whole food, rather than supplements.

Supplements are really an individual matter. A place to start is a blood test to find out if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals. Certainly if you aren't deficient in say iron, there's no reason to take a supplement with a lot of iron. I'm deficient in vitamin D, have some bone loss, so I take a vitamin D3 supplement.

Understanding and calculating you macros will help you decide how much protein, carbohydrates, and fat to consume daily. If you cannot meet your macros with food, then consider a supplement. Since I cannot eat enough high protein foods to meet my protein goal without blowing up my carb and fat goals, I supplement with a plant based protein powder that is a complete protein.

While people can offer suggestions for supplements, it's best to work with your healthcare provider to determine what supplements, if any, are appropriate for you.
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It just depends what your goals are. Supplements are just that, a SUPPLEMENT for your diet. However one thing I recommend is a good BCAA. Especially if you're lifting weights. It'll help with muscle recovery, growth, and energy. I like optimum nutrition amino energy, but it does have caffeine, so caution if any heart or bp conditions exist. As everyone else says make sure dr ok's them!!
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ditch the supplements and stick with whole foods. Nature gives you everything you need unless your doctor has specifically said to take a particular supplement