Calories help please

Options
gemmi33
gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
I am 5'4 and weigh 149lb, I would like to lose 24lb. I have set myself 1000 calories a day, maybe slightly more on exercise days.

My question is, will this reduction be enough to see a decent weight loss in a reasonable amount of time?

And points on this would be much appreciate

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1000 cals? Bad idea.
  • gemmi33
    Options
    Really? Why? Too low or too high
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    gemmi33 wrote: »
    Really? Why? Too low or too high

What does mfp give you when you put your stats in?
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi. I just plugged your numbers into a TDEE calculator (choosing sedentary/ little to no exercise as the activity level as you have no stated yours).

And it appears you sedentary maintenance calories per day (to not gain weight) is around 1700 calories. So if you are eating 100 calories a day you are at a deficit of 700 calories per day. This will equal weight loss of approximately 1lb per 5 days (1lb =3500 calories of fat/ 700 calories = 5 days). This is approximate as not all weight you lose will be fat, some will inevitably be muscle. However you can minimise muscle loss by eating plenty of protein and getting some exercise.

I'd recommend upping your calories to at least 1200 a day to get a weight loss of around 1lb per week. This will let you reach your goal in 24 weeks. And is a great rate of weight loss.

If you do significant exercise your TDEE will be higher however and you should be upping your calories much more than to 1200.
  • gemmi33
    Options
    Hi. I just plugged your numbers into a TDEE calculator (choosing sedentary/ little to no exercise as the activity level as you have no stated yours).

And it appears you sedentary maintenance calories per day (to not gain weight) is around 1700 calories. So if you are eating 100 calories a day you are at a deficit of 700 calories per day. This will equal weight loss of approximately 1lb per 5 days (1lb =3500 calories of fat/ 700 calories = 5 days). This is approximate as not all weight you lose will be fat, some will inevitably be muscle. However you can minimise muscle loss by eating plenty of protein and getting some exercise.

I'd recommend upping your calories to at least 1200 a day to get a weight loss of around 1lb per week. This will let you reach your goal in 24 weeks. And is a great rate of weight loss.

If you do significant exercise your TDEE will be higher however and you should be upping your calories much more than to 1200.

Sophie thank you so much, that is really helpful as I didn't really know how to work it out. I am happy with 1-2 lb per week. Thanks again for taking the time to explain the science behind it :-)
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yep, Sophie is spot on. 1200 should be your absolute minimum.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gemmi33 wrote: »
    I am 5'4 and weigh 149lb, I would like to lose 24lb. I have set myself 1000 calories a day, maybe slightly more on exercise days.

My question is, will this reduction be enough to see a decent weight loss in a reasonable amount of time?

And points on this would be much appreciate

Do not do this 1000 calories, please.. There is no hurry to loose a little more than what doing the 1200 calorie min will do. Albeit no exercise and 1200 calories is still low.

WIth no exercise and a VLCD, there is be muscle wasting/loss along with this process. Please net 1200 calories at minimum.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - which is the bare minimum your body burns to function (excluding major workouts) - IMHO I wouldn't go lower than 1500 (200 cal defict under your TDEE)....if you go too low, your body will hold on to any calories that you do consume and you won't lose weight
  • gemmi33
    Options
    I will definitely go to 1200 cals a day. Now I understand the concept of it. Thanks all
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - which is the bare minimum your body burns to function (excluding major workouts) - IMHO I wouldn't go lower than 1500 (200 cal defict under your TDEE)....if you go too low, your body will hold on to any calories that you do consume and you won't lose weight

if your body holds on to calories so you wont lose weight, how do people starve to death?!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Sorry but you have this wrong. Just to educate you a little bit this in not TDEE it is BMR you speak of.

The deficit will always be off TDEE yes, but for a woman and especially for shorter women, 1200 can be a small deficit, and also no matter what the MFP recommendation and requirement is no lower than 1200 for a woman and 1500 for a man.

And the body does not hold on to energy (calories), it will just make a person loose more weight too aggressively.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ^^ this
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    BMR is absolute baseline (i.e. no moving, no walking etc) - the test is done with you sitting sedentary, a nose plug and breathing into a machine (worst 20 minutes ever), TDEE takes into account those as well as workout level (my BMR and TDEE had about a 500cal difference)
  • deannalfisher
    Options

if your body holds on to calories so you wont lose weight, how do people starve to death?!

extreme prolonged starvation yes, but in a weight loss scenario, no
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Sorry but you have this wrong. Just to educate you a little bit this in not TDEE it is BMR you speak of.

The deficit will always be off TDEE yes, but for a woman and especially for shorter women, 1200 can be a small deficit, and also no matter what the MFP recommendation and requirement is no lower than 1200 for a woman and 1500 for a man.

And the body does not hold on to energy (calories), it will just make a person loose more weight too aggressively.

and there will be a point where your body will stop losing weight if you prolong that calorie restriction for too long

the OP is 5'4, weigh 149lb, I would like to lose 24lb (so down to 125)...that is a significant weight loss and a prolonged consumption of 1200 cal a day, would be detrimental to that (having been there, done that for way to long)...

better option would be to look at what her lean muscle mass is/current body fat and focus on fat loss/increasing LMM, not weight loss (although they may reduce together)
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

and there will be a point where your body will stop losing weight if you prolong that calorie restriction for too long

the OP is 5'4, weigh 149lb, I would like to lose 24lb (so down to 125)...that is a significant weight loss and a prolonged consumption of 1200 cal a day, would be detrimental to that (having been there, done that for way to long)...

better option would be to look at what her lean muscle mass is/current body fat and focus on fat loss/increasing LMM, not weight loss (although they may reduce together)

I do not think OP is planning to starve herself anytime soon. Stop the fear mongering!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

No, if you're in a deficit, no matter how aggressive, you will lose weight. The problem is, you will be losing muscle mass and causing issues with malnutrition if your deficit is too low, which is why you don't want to go below what the minimum recommendation is.

OP: 1500 sounds about right for where you should be. Yes, the weight will come off slower, but you won't have near as many issues with hunger and fatigue, and you learn better ways of adjusting your eating habits. This way, when you hit your goal, you'll have the knowledge and skills you need to KEEP the weight off.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    BMR is absolute baseline (i.e. no moving, no walking etc) - the test is done with you sitting sedentary, a nose plug and breathing into a machine (worst 20 minutes ever), TDEE takes into account those as well as workout level (my BMR and TDEE had about a 500cal difference)

This is TDEE..

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

• TavistockToad
    Options

and how does your body know the difference?!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    and not providing insight into what has happened to me (and others) in the past (friends with metabolic issues from not eating enough based on guidance about calorie restrictions that were too low for activity - is not providing a complete insight...i did the 1200-1300 cal for years in the "must lose weight" mentality and suffered for it - no energy for working out, no losing weight...since I actually upped my calories (1750 on rest days and 2200 on workout days) - more energy, change in body composition, sleeping better and healthier all over...but hey, i'm just a newbie on the boards and not an established member