New Vegetarian.

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Yes I guess fish is still meat. I'm going to call myself a semi vegetarian then! :smile: x

So why do you want to be vegetarian or pescatsrian?
  • appleton1970
    appleton1970 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi vegetarian for 4 months now!
  • appleton1970
    I eat fish only for the amino acids that I'm not getting from meat..I'm still looking into an alternative?..still new at this as well Lol
  • redraidergirl2009
    I eat fish only for the amino acids that I'm not getting from meat..I'm still looking into an alternative?..still new at this as well Lol

If that's you're only reason I suggest you do some more research. You don't miss out on any animo acids on a vegetarian diet.

• BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    I think it's healthier to not eat meat. There's only me and my nephew in my family who are veggies now and he's very slim. He doesn't like fish though.
  • appleton1970
    I was told by my doctor to eat fish for amino acids because our bodies don't make it! I'd rather not eat meat at all..but I'm just new at this and I'm learning as I go lol...seriously there is so much conflicting info and opinions..
  • redraidergirl2009
    I was told by my doctor to eat fish for amino acids because our bodies don't make it! I'd rather not eat meat at all..but I'm just new at this and I'm learning as I go lol...seriously there is so much conflicting info and opinions..

Doctors really don't study much about nutrition in medical school, sadly...yes your body does make some amino acids and the rest you have to get from your diet. There are not any animo acids you have to get from meat that you cannot get from plant sources. If you plug in your food at chronometer for a day you can look at the specific animo acids you are eating.

• redraidergirl2009
    I think it's healthier to not eat meat. There's only me and my nephew in my family who are veggies now and he's very slim. He doesn't like fish though.

It can be healthier if you eat healthy, I mean cakes and cookies are usually vegetarian lol.
  • appleton1970

Doctors really don't study much about nutrition in medical school, sadly...yes your body does make some amino acids and the rest you have to get from your diet. There are not any animo acids you have to get from meat that you cannot get from plant sources. If you plug in your food at chronometer for a day you can look at the specific animo acids you are eating.

Yes your right they don't! My doctor is younger than me lol! Thanks for the info I'll check it out! Cheers✌
  • appleton1970

It can be healthier if you eat healthy, I mean cakes and cookies are usually vegetarian lol.

Yes and don't go for those vegetarian alternative foods in the grocery store...full of additives and taste gross lol
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Well i try not to eat many cakes or cookies but i won't deny myself the odd treat. I know I'll pack it in completely if i do. Crisps are more my downfall nowadays.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    I was a pescetarian for 15 years. Now I will occasionally eat meat, but I still eat a lot of tofu (mostly because I learned to use it like carbs, but it is full of protein) There are many things that I just prefer the veg version, and I tend to not eat meat at restaurants, etc. Only reason I gave the up on it is so as to be less troublesome as a dinner guest/cohabitation partner... If I lived alone I would probably go back to it, as I naturally ignore the meat section in grocery stores and menu items... My downfall was always cheese and pasta- I gorge on them.

Feel free to friend me, diary is open to friends.
  • lorenlesley
    lorenlesley Posts: 24 Member
    I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I eat processed food, fast food, cake, cookies, chocolate ... Anything really. Lol anyone can add me. I log every day! I also cook a lot, Pinterest & peanut butter are my best friends.
  • nat_meister
    nat_meister Posts: 27 Member
    I've been vegetarian since January and don't plan on ever going back! I hope to go vegan (no meat, dairy, eggs - basically anything from an animal) sometime soon. I find that it's been much easier for me to stick with this lifestyle because I've done a lot of research about it. I suggest watching movies like Forks Over Knives, Cowspiracy, and Earthlings to see the real benefits of a plant-based diet, not only for your health, but for the environment and planet as well. Cheers!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yes and don't go for those vegetarian alternative foods in the grocery store...full of additives and taste gross lol

Tasting "gross" is completely subjective. I enjoy the taste of some meat/cheese alternatives and don't enjoy the taste of others.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited July 2016

There's no credible evidence that it's healthier to not eat meat. Most who believe that point to the China Study (made famous in the awful and famously unscientific "documentary" Forks Over Knives), which is garbage, literally taught in some universities as an example of terrible research.

Of course, meat aside, you can eat an unhealthy diet that's entirely vegetarian, just as you can eat an unhealthy diet that includes meat. I've known vegetarians who exist primarily on grilled cheese sandwiches and mac & cheese (not that these are bad for you, but they're not exactly the basis for a decent diet).

There are 2 logically valid reasons to be vegetarian:
    1. you don't like meat
    2. you are morally opposed to eating animals.

All that said, my gf is pescetarian because she doesn't like the thought of animals suffering and dying for her to eat. I've never asked her why that logic doesn't apply to fish, because I don't want to know.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

There's no credible evidence that it's healthier to not eat meat. Most who believe that point to the China Study (made famous in the awful and famously unscientific "documentary" Forks Over Knives), which is garbage, literally taught in some universities as an example of terrible research.

Of course, meat aside, you can eat an unhealthy diet that's entirely vegetarian, just as you can eat an unhealthy diet that includes meat. I've known vegetarians who exist primarily on grilled cheese sandwiches and mac & cheese (not that these are bad for you, but they're not exactly the basis for a decent diet).

There are 2 logically valid reasons to be vegetarian:
    1. you don't like meat
    2. you are morally opposed to eating animals.

All that said, my gf is pescetarian because she doesn't like the thought of animals suffering and dying for her to eat. I've never asked her why that logic doesn't apply to fish, because I don't want to know.

I've never seen understood why some people don't count fish as an animal...
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Although it is of course possible to be an overweight vegetarian I've read that it's less likely. And fish should be considered as meat but I like eating fish and I don't intend to give it up.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Well, btdt. I was a vegetarian for 10 years. Just decided to become one like you. My best advice is to work on recipes and variety. When I started I didn't know what to eat and my meals sucked at first. I still eat vegetarian meals or try to, at least a few times a week but I haven't been a vegetarian in a long time.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    been a veggie for 25 years now. was the reason i put on so much weight because i was the pasta, bread, cheese variety. i lost all my weight eating as a vegetarian too. not getting on the health debate, don't really care one way or another how people feel about my choices. feel free to add me. open diary and log fairly regularly.