Exercise options that don't require shoes?

Hi; long story short, I can't walk for more than about 5 minutes due to a form of eczema, and due to the same reason I can't really wear shoes.

So what sort of exercise could people recommend? Currently I'm thinking indoor cycling and free weights, but I want to do as much for the legs as possible.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Weights for sure.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Is there any form of weights (preferably without a cost outlay, but then again, health saves you money in the long run) that I can do for my legs?

Or would that be body weight calisthenics style things, maybe with ankle weights?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Bodyweight at home

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But avoid the jumping jacks as you may impact your knees without supportive footwear
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Yoga and Pilates

Lots of online videos

Swimming
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Squats, Deadlifts, RDL, calf raises, and plenty of other exercises all hit muscles in the legs and butt and a simple barbell and weights would suffice.

Combine lifting (building/maintaining muscle) with weight loss (eating in a calorie deficit) and you'll probably get the results you desire for your legs.

As for equipment/routine, pick what fits your budget and other restraints (space, time, etc...). You could go with joining a gym and doing a program like Strong Curves, or you could do bodyweight training like StartBodyweight.com's routine, or you could do a simple barbell program like StrongLifts 5x5 which you'd only need a used barbell set for (~$100-200 for a good beginner set).

Further defining your goals and restrictions (personal interest or due to health reasons, doesn't matter) will help you hone in on the best program for you, but while you do that you can always start now with something and switch programs when you figure things out.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Swim :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Hula hooping and jump roping
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Yoga, get a mat and a soft microfiber towel for on top of it and you will be fine. That's probably the most sustainable exercise for your situation.

Aerobics, if you have a frame house the floor will be good for that - if you have a block house, no, it isn't great to jump up and down on concrete floors.

Push ups, pull ups, squats both weighted and unweighted. Gallon jug of water is 8lb, so one in each hand is 16.

For resistance exercise with legs, a big strong elastic band thing is good and doesn't cost much. pushing against those definitely adds resistance. If that doesn't bother your skin - I am not sure how much friction it can handle.