Activities to get you active?

Options
jamsieboi
jamsieboi Posts: 11 Member
I'm starting again after many failed attempts and looking for some suggestions on activities to get me off the couch that isn't just walking round the block.

I have done the gym and always end up paying a years membership and never go so want get started before committing, plus I am that unfit it's a waste of time.

I'm thinking of things like mini golf or walking trails with activities to keep me interested while I build up some fitness. I intend to start walking with my son in the evening to start off. I could probably stretch to things like badminton but other sports might be a bit too much.

I can't swim very well but have a few private lessons booked to try and improve this.

Replies

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Both the mini golf & walking trails are good. As stupid as is it, play pokemon go if you must; just pay attention so you don't hurt yourself. If it gets you moving, do it. Would you be interesting in getting a dog? If you can't swim, there are still things you can do in a pool like walking through the resistance of the water; my local YMCA offered a variety of things you can do in a pool & the water buffers your joints. My friends & I were just goofing around over the weekend trying to beat the heat but we all just kept moving. At times we were hanging on the sides, talking but kicking our legs. Another option might be buying a bike & riding on those trails. My husband I recently bought tennis racks. We suck but you know what? Chasing balls that we failed to hit burns calories too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you heard of the Pokemon Go craze? LOL

For real, what you do you enjoy? Are there any limitations to the type of exercise? Is there going to be a second person along this journey to play with you like playing badminton?

If you have swimming lessons booked, this is a terrific idea. I wish I had a local area pool.

Walking to me is a great start. You can start this and before you know it you might even speed up the walks and might enjoy a light jog?

edited to add: OP I know this may sound stupid, but is there any interests you have outside of the house like a hobby, or places that you like to go like the zoo, walking the dog, taking your children to the park, visiting a local museum, riding bikes, backyard football, volleyball, or maybe even buy you something for inside your home like a elliptical/treadmill/stationary bike?

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was also going to ask about Pokemon Go -- it is a fun way to get out. What do you enjoy? That is the best place to start.

Do you like to go bike riding? I love to hike and it is a great way to get out and be active in a way I enjoy. You could take tennis lessons, go check out rock climbing, maybe take martial arts lessons

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    How about some home workouts?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use Zombies Run myself. Once the heat gets back down to reasonable levels, I'm getting back on it. I still hate walking, but at least I have something engaging to listen to while I walk!

For other things, think of activities you like to do. If you like minigolf, do it. It's not really a cardio, but it does get you out and moving. Pretty much anything that gets you out and moving is a plus; if it's not good cardio, it can still be used as a starting point. And even if you never go further, some activity is better than none! I know my parking at the front and taking one flight of stairs to my office isn't really going to amount to much in terms of calories burned for the day. But it was more than I had been getting before. Every little bit counts!
  • jamsieboi
    jamsieboi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and advice, I don't think Pokemon is for me but I see it becomes addictive pretty quick so who knows I might give it a try.

Most of my interests revolve around things with engine's which although time consuming and dirty aren't particularly physical.

My little boy is nearly two and just about understanding football (soccer) and I loved playing when I was younger so will push on with that the older he gets. I can't run much but I can get around and kick the ball about which is a start.

I have a bike but I'm just over the weight limit for it so if I can lose 10lbs I hope to get back on cycling.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jamsieboi wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments and advice, I don't think Pokemon is for me but I see it becomes addictive pretty quick so who knows I might give it a try.

Most of my interests revolve around things with engine's which although time consuming and dirty aren't particularly physical.

My little boy is nearly two and just about understanding football (soccer) and I loved playing when I was younger so will push on with that the older he gets. I can't run much but I can get around and kick the ball about which is a start.

I have a bike but I'm just over the weight limit for it so if I can lose 10lbs I hope to get back on cycling.

OP don't worry about the Pokemon Go, I personally hate this and was joking about it! Its stupid addictive on all levels and even very dangerous in my opinion! I am ok with kids going nuts but I draw the line on older adults. I stick to my home gaming console!

Looks like you have some things to work towards, I have an old mustang you can work on! LOL

Good luck, you will be in shape before you know it! :)
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you have a disc golf course nearby that can be fun. It combines waking trails and tossing frisbee.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    jamsieboi wrote: »

Expensive long shot, but: get a bike, and outfit it with a power meter. Maybe you'll find it interesting to see how you perform as the engine, how many watts can you push and for how long?