What do I do once I reach my goal?

Options
I am almost at my goal weight. I know I will have to continue to count calories and exercise in order to maintain the weight. How do I set up the program to tell me how many calories to consume each day? In other words, I am 6'5", weigh 230lbs. What should my calorie intake be to maintain that weight?

Replies

• GStokes4902
    GStokes4902 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would suggest find a personal trainer who looks like you would like to....and get their input. A buddy helped me with that stuff for my goals, which are to shed 20-25 lbs before Jan. You have a big frame which is awesome, so stay on weight training and be a beast !
  • jrb44224
    jrb44224 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You may have to adjust your maintenance calories as you go, but starting with what MFP gives you is a good starting point. You may find the number it gives you is good, or it may be too high or too low given your daily activity. Keep an eye on things for the next couple months after you hit your goal and adjust as needed. Also, it's best to have a goal range of about 5lbs. Weight fluctuates, so having a small range gives you that adjustment range.

Also also, congrats on making it to the finish line! ^_^
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    jrb44224 wrote: »
    I am almost at my goal weight. I know I will have to continue to count calories and exercise in order to maintain the weight. How do I set up the program to tell me how many calories to consume each day? In other words, I am 6'5", weigh 230lbs. What should my calorie intake be to maintain that weight?

What kind of resistance strength training are you doing? How often? How long of duration and how intense are sessions?

Is losing your weight more important or the body fat comp? Certain macros will influence certain effects (body fat, energy, moods,etc)
  • jrb44224
    Options
    I am 73 years old. I had a heart attach 4 years ago and feel that I am doing very well. My cardio doctor is overjoyed with what is going on right now. I work out at least 3 times a week for 2+ hours each time. I lift weights - 9 different exercises - for about 1 hour and do cardio for 1 hour. I think my biggest disappointment will be that the excess skin will not tighten. I have never believed in the BMI index because it does not take into consideration body type, etc. I know a huge body builder who is considered extremely overweight even though his body fat content is around 4%.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am 73 years old. I had a heart attach 4 years ago and feel that I am doing very well. My cardio doctor is overjoyed with what is going on right now. I work out at least 3 times a week for 2+ hours each time. I lift weights - 9 different exercises - for about 1 hour and do cardio for 1 hour. I think my biggest disappointment will be that the excess skin will not tighten. I have never believed in the BMI index because it does not take into consideration body type, etc. I know a huge body builder who is considered extremely overweight even though his body fat content is around 4%.

You're doing more than very well I think! You've done GREAT. Congratulations on getting to your goals, I'm sure that's a great feeling.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Rub it in everyone's faces? That'll teach'em!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,531 Member
    Options

One option is to gradually add back calories, then monitor, until you find the point where your weight stabilizes.

If you've been losing at a fast rate (> 1lb/week recently), maybe start by adding 250 per day** to slow your loss rate; if you've been losing more slowly, maybe add 100 per day. Monitor the results for a week or two (or more if necessary).

If you're sure you're still losing, add another 100 per day, and repeat. Keep doing this until you stabilize.

Then set a maintenance weight range to stay within - plus or minus 5 pounds from your preferred weight, or plus or minus 3, or something else that is a little wider than your usual range of daily fluctuations. If you stay more than briefly above/below your weight range (i.e., more than a couple/three days or so), then cut/add calories until you reach the middle of the range again.

Repeat, repeat.

** 250 per day, would, in theory, get you at your maintenance calories if you've been losing half a pound a week. I'm suggesting that you intentionally "coast in" to maintenance by reducing your deficit gradually, rather than in one big jolt. I think this is easier psychologically, may minimize a sudden weigh jump some people see from glycogen replenishment, and there are some tantalizing hints that it could have other benefits, but the latter are speculative.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to follow reverse dieting.
    So let's say that by the time you reached your goal your daily calories were at 1200 and your maintenance is 1800.

What you don't want to do is automatically increase your intake back up to 1800, as tempting as it is, and as much as you deserve a reward.

After months of calorie restriction your metabolism has likely slowed to adjust and you'd likely undo some progress if you jumped up so suddenly, so instead you'd be better served by scaling up your intake by 50-150 calories a week up until the point you hit your maintenance, all the while monitoring your weight and checking the mirror to make sure you aren't scaling too slow/too fast.
  • jrb44224
    Options
    thank you for the info.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would use a macro calculator. I like www.iifym.com best!!!