Tips on how you lost weight?

Options
Hi. I'm just starting my journey (all over again) trying to lose weight. I've been searching the posts and found many inspirational stories, which I love to read. I am looking for some tips, how you lost weight, what did you eat, how did you manage your portions at meals, etc. I've been looking at recipes too, not only on myfitnesspal but other sites, and I've only came across a lot of salad & seafood recipes. Unfortunately I can not stand the taste of seafood and my family is not big on eating salads. I've tried countless of times and only end up eating them myself, wasting a lot of food. Thanks for any information! And a huge congratulations to everyone who has lost weight and are working toward their goals!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Jello Pudding Packs & Kraft 100 Calorie Packs of Cheese were my lifesavers!!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    weirdly i don't eat many foods you have to cook. fresh fruit, sandwich wraps. cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese unsalted raw nuts. its tasty if you know how to balance flavors and low calories. for dinner i just had 1/4 cup almonds, 4 cherries (as it was alli had left) and two small apricots. for lunch i had a tuna wrap, 1 can tuna, 1/3 cup shredded cheddar, and 2 tablespoons of salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla, lettuce would've been great on it if i had some (fish taco-ish?)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on salads either, but I do love most seafood. I eat pretty much by the old standards - whole grains, vegetables, lean meats, fruit (actually little fruit because I just prefer vegetables). I eat very little sweets, but do enjoy wine with dinner most days. My diary is open if you want to have a look. I'd ignore this past weekend as I didn't eat my normal diet over the holiday. The best tips I can give are exercise, exercise and exercise. I really feel this is the key for me because I don't like to be hungry.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    LEAN proteins, replaced all of my white starches with brown/whole wheat (except for the occassional potato every couple of weeks), LOTS of water, challenging myself to workouts. And my saving grace 100 calorie packs, laughing cow cheese, skinny cow ice cream and dove chocolate...every once in a while, 1 piece is 45 calories! My big thing that is different this time is that I don't actually cut ANYTHING out. I can have pop as long as I drink all my water (I find I don't want it often anymore), and "treats' I replace with lower cal or lower sugar alternatives. I have actually found that I much prefer skinny cow ice over most regular kinds. I still am learning to up my veggie intake...but I've made HUGE improvements with everything else.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Measure everything.
    Plan ahead.
    Eat smaller amounts often (this is different for different people but works for me).
    My dairy is open if you want to know the "what"
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hmm my advice:
    Whole wheat pasta is nice and filling, I've come to love a wrap at lunch time, still eat your favourites in moderation, have a couple cheat days.
    My HRM and food scale are my best friends when it comes to weight loss. Find a couple exercises that you love, and switch it up during the week! Find a workout buddy, or great music that keeps you motivated.

Plateaus sound scary, and can be frustrating! But they can and will be broken through!
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    I just got to below my goal today (23 pounds lost; yay!), so I feel slightly qualified to answer in the past tense. ;-)

--Water. Lots of it. I drink 2 to 3 liters a day.

--Protein over carbs. I started eliminating things that had high calorie and carb counts that just weren't worth it to me. For me, that was pasta, peanut butter, most breads, white rice. They are no longer in my daily rotation of foods. I'm a vegetarian, so I have to work a lot harder to get all my protein in, but I do.

--No more drinking calories. I cut sugar out of my coffee, and no longer drink real soda. Rarely do I drink alcohol anyway, so that was easy.

--Measure and weigh. EVERYTHING.

--Kick up the exercise. I do high-intensity interval training/circuit weight training 3 days a week, and run/walk 3 days a week, with one day off. I get my heart rate up and keep it up for at least 30 minutes in each session.

--Don't sweat the day-to-day. Some days I wanted ice cream. So I got some. Some weeks I only lost .2 pounds. I kept going. If you really see it as a long haul rather than a quick fix, you're better able to weather the many small disappointments that invariably crop up.

Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!