Anyone with Type 2 diabetes put on Insulin for planning pregnancy

Options
ds1415
ds1415 Posts: 48 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there,
So I went to the doctor to discuss about planning a baby with Diabetes, fasting 170, after meal 250- 350.
The doctor said that you should start insulin injections until the baby is born, and those are the only option. I am really concerned as my insulin levels came normal in the test. Anyone with experience, please reply. I am really concerned about this.

Replies

• mandys65
    mandys65 Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with 3 pregnancies, I was put on insulin with my 2nd from the start, I was closely monitored and had plenty of scans to check on growth of baby. I am sure you will be fine, I came off the insulin when baby was born and back on tablets X x
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. I was on insulin with both pregnancies. Your fasting and post meal numbers are very high and will only go higher with a pregnancy. Definitely get the numbers under control for the safety and health of both you and baby. My first was born prematurely and with complications because I wasn't put on insulin soon enough.
  • ds1415
    ds1415 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. I think I will start my insulin from Sunday.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was a gestational diabetic with my last pregnancy due to getting pancreatitis early in my pregnancy. I became GD at 14 weeks b/c of it. I was put on insulin part way through and it was the worst mistake of my life. If I could go back and undo it, I would have worked WAY harder to control it with diet and would have lost weight (yes, you can lose weight while pregnant if you are overweight). It took 10yrs to get the effects of taking insulin while pregnant out of my daughter's body. After pregnancy I used the book The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein to get control of it and finally get rid of it (my GD did not go away immediately after birth b/c of the pancreas damage). Personally, I would put the time and energy into losing weight and controlling it with tight diet. IMHO

*Editted to add - it is HARD work to do this with diet and exercise but worth it in the end.
  • julienurse
    julienurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetes educator... even women with pre-diabetes will most likely need insulin in pregnancy. Every pregnancy results in insulin resistance (pregnant women at 36 weeks need 2-3x the amount of insulin you normally need) due to hormones. Many times, diet has NOTHING to do with the blood sugars going high. If you follow the gestational diabetes food plan given by a registered dietician AND your blood sugars are high, you can be confident it's due to hormones and it's not your fault. You have to always follow your doctor's instructions on diet and weight loss. Most will not recommend trying to lose weight, as then you can be restricting nutrition from the baby. The nice thing is if you are on insulin during pregnancy, the insulin resistance goes away almost immediately after the baby is born (like in a day or two). If blood sugars are high after pregnancy, like weeks, months or years... that is most likely Type 2 Diabetes.

Ultimately, the baby needs to grow in a low sugar environment. Priorities are good blood sugars AND good nutrition and being reasonable about eating and exercise. Medication is the least of the problems, and insulin works great to achieve both of those priorities. Taking insulin will give your baby it's best chance and also help your pancreas not struggle as much to control blood sugars.