Body Fat Percentage Scales

Options
Wepz
Wepz Posts: 39 Member
Is it worth buying a decent Body Fat Percentage Scales?

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How careful would you be using it? There largest issue with a good BIA scale is that it has to be used at close to the same hydration level to get consistent results. For example first thing in the morning (maybe after using the bathroom.), or some other time that is consistent. Additionally lean body mass is overestimated after working out, so measurements are inaccurate for a few hours after a workout.

Now if a BIA is used consistently it will at least give you a good deal of if you are losing or gaining fat. The exact number could be off a few percent but the over time the average value should be good.

There are a lot of people that claim BIA is horrible, but it probably is more in how they use the scales. I think a scale with hand and foot electrodes it going to be better than just the ones with foot electrodes.

Anyway, every method of fat measurement has pros and cons.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No point wasting your money. They are so inaccurate even if you try to be consistent. The best method is go by how you look in the mirror/photos or if you want an actual measurement the scales and maybe callipers.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wepz wrote: »
    Is it worth buying a decent Body Fat Percentage Scales?

NO!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I bought one and it underestimated my body fat, IMO. Based on photo comparisons I am about 1% or so higher. But I will use my scale as a baseline to check change up or down, but I can't take it seriously.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    They can be +/- up to 5%.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I bought one and it underestimated my body fat, IMO. Based on photo comparisons I am about 1% or so higher. But I will use my scale as a baseline to check change up or down, but I can't take it seriously.

1% off?
    That would actually be a pretty good estimate than.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No. They are a joke and a waste of money. They aren't accurate and aren't really good for even guessing trends either. Here is a good synopsis IMO.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-4-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-3-and-4-bod-pod-and-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
    I've heard people make the argument that, while BIA may not be that accurate, it should work fine when tracking change over time. The theory, they say, is that the error should be the same each time you use it.

The problem is that this isn't true. As I mentioned in the article on hydrostatic weighing, the density and hydration of fat-free mass can change with weight loss. If this can affect the accuracy of hydrostatic weighing for measuring change over time, then you can be sure that the effect on BIA outcomes is going to be significantly larger.

Researchers have looked at the accuracy of BIA for tracking body fat change over time. In one study, the disagreement between BIA and the 4-compartment model ranged from -3.6% to 4.8% for measuring change. This means you could lose 3.6% body fat, but BIA would show no change. Or, BIA could tell you that you lost 8.8% body fat when you really only lost 4%. In fact, in this study, plain ol' bod mass index (BMI) did just as well as BIA for predicting change in body fat, except for in one person.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

1% off?

I meant that it reads 1% less bf stated than I am, not 1% off.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

1% off?

Sorry. It reads 1% less bf stated than I am, not 1% off.

I'm totally confused.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just bought one and use it first thing AM, but am also going to go get a body pod measurement for $50 at the local university to see what the REAL number is. Then I can use the instrument for trends (maybe). And if nothing else, a body pod measurement will help me set a good ultimate goal weight. I'm currently 200 lb.
  • DebSozo
    Options

1% off?

I'm totally confused.

I didn't mean that the body weight scale was off by 1% only that my bf reading read 1% less than I really am.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    No. They are a joke and a waste of money. They aren't accurate and aren't really good for even guessing trends either. Here is a good synopsis IMO.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-4-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-3-and-4-bod-pod-and-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
    I've heard people make the argument that, while BIA may not be that accurate, it should work fine when tracking change over time. The theory, they say, is that the error should be the same each time you use it.

The problem is that this isn't true. As I mentioned in the article on hydrostatic weighing, the density and hydration of fat-free mass can change with weight loss. If this can affect the accuracy of hydrostatic weighing for measuring change over time, then you can be sure that the effect on BIA outcomes is going to be significantly larger.

Researchers have looked at the accuracy of BIA for tracking body fat change over time. In one study, the disagreement between BIA and the 4-compartment model ranged from -3.6% to 4.8% for measuring change. This means you could lose 3.6% body fat, but BIA would show no change. Or, BIA could tell you that you lost 8.8% body fat when you really only lost 4%. In fact, in this study, plain ol' bod mass index (BMI) did just as well as BIA for predicting change in body fat, except for in one person.

Very good point.

My BIA scale has had me at 27-29% bf for the past two years. In that time I have lost weight and my body composition has changed greatly due to lifting weights. I am willing to believe that I am in the 26-27% zone right now (and possibly more on an upcoming DEXA due to visceral fat) but 29% back then and virtually no change over two years? No way.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

1% off?

I'm totally confused.

I didn't mean that the body weight scale was off by 1% only that my bf reading read 1% less than I really am.

That it would be a pretty good estimate if that is that case.
    I'm also not sure how you estimate BF% by photos down to the 1%.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    We have the Fitbit Aria, and like it. I use the body fat readings for trending purposes only. Though the actual percentage is likely inaccurate, the trend has made sense with my 35 pound weight loss. We're planning on getting BodPod measurements in October; it will be interesting to see how they compare.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

1% off?

I'm totally confused.

Good point. It's close enough for me I suppose, and better than nothing. I'm going to buy some calipers to cross reference.

Here is a link for some visual bf %
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/261522/visual-guide-to-womens-body-fat/p6

Edited to add link
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

1% off?

I'm totally confused.

Good point. It's close enough for me I suppose, and better than nothing. I'm going to buy some calipers to cross reference.

Here is a link for some visual bf %
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/261522/visual-guide-to-womens-body-fat/p6

Edited to add link

I think where we're confused is how you're so adamant that you're BF By Photos estimation is so incredibly accurate
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    I just bought one and use it first thing AM, but am also going to go get a body pod measurement for $50 at the local university to see what the REAL number is. Then I can use the instrument for trends (maybe). And if nothing else, a body pod measurement will help me set a good ultimate goal weight. I'm currently 200 lb.

I never paid much attention to the body fat percent on my scale having read that they are highly inaccurate. But last month I went and did the Bod Pod test and it gave me 26.8%. I rechecked the scale and it also read 26 point something, so I was surprised by that. I'd still take the info with a grain of salt, but rather keep an eye on the numbers decreasing. (hoping for 22% one of these days).

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    They aren't accurate....
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All of the posts saying "they aren't accurate" are missing the point. They don't need to be accurate. They need to be precise. Body fat measurement by bioimpedence, presuming you maintain relatively consistent conditions (similar levels of hydration at each measure) are quite precise.

They are excellent for charting progress over time, they are bad for spot measurements. I highly recommend my Omron scale which has both hand and feet sensors for body fat measurement.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    All of the posts saying "they aren't accurate" are missing the point. They don't need to be accurate. They need to be precise. Body fat measurement by bioimpedence, presuming you maintain relatively consistent conditions (similar levels of hydration at each measure) are quite precise.

They are excellent for charting progress over time, they are bad for spot measurements. I highly recommend my Omron scale which has both hand and feet sensors for body fat measurement.

Actually I think being consistent is important. I've found my scale to be very consistent and while that actual % BF could be off, the change seems to be tracking very well. My scale was telling me I was losing BF and when I measured my waist I was down 6 cm. I'll take that!