Anyone here lost weight by just walking?

Options
I also need MFP fitbit buddies. feel free to add me on both MFP and fitbit.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/4PXGLY

my details:

SW - 165
GW - 135

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

my details:

SW - 165
    GW - 135

Hi
    FWIW I lost weight until I could walk more than a short distance with diet only. Then I started walking the second year and gradually increased my distance to a daily total of 10,000 steps, per my FitBit Zip. Today I am current;ly 1t 9,365 steps and The FitBit says I have burned 1985 calories with a distance of 4.18 miles including walking around the house and yard. I still diet. I am looking to maintain for a period of time, so far since February successfully. I eat at 1800+ calories per day and was eating at 1800 calories per day tracking them here while walking. The Walking helped let me lose without a calorie reduction.

The Bottom Line is You can lose weight with Diet alone or with Diet and Walking. In My Opinion No matter how far You walk you also need to watch Your caloric intake. Walking alone with no other changes is not enough.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • LoraMartyn
    LoraMartyn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    YES! I have lost 24 pounds watching my calories and walking as my only exercise :)
  • a_m_c
    a_m_c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need support aswell. In the past year I have had part of my thyroid removed due to cancer, hysterectomy, and my left knee repaired almost 4 weeks ago. I have no energy and have gained so much weight :( I would like to feel better about myself and get back to healthy eating and exercise. My fitbit is not working, but will hopefully be getting a new one this week. I will happily add you!
    SW 162
    GW 130
    Allie
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have lost 34 lbs by tracking my calories & walking!
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's my main form of exercise,
    With waiting for knee replacement, running, squats and many other exercises are out of the question

DONT feel bad if that is what you can do.

Added you
  • Chikachikaslimshady
    Chikachikaslimshady Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

my details:

SW - 165
    GW - 135

Hi
    FWIW I lost weight until I could walk more than a short distance with diet only. Then I started walking the second year and gradually increased my distance to a daily total of 10,000 steps, per my FitBit Zip. Today I am current;ly 1t 9,365 steps and The FitBit says I have burned 1985 calories with a distance of 4.18 miles including walking around the house and yard. I still diet. I am looking to maintain for a period of time, so far since February successfully. I eat at 1800+ calories per day and was eating at 1800 calories per day tracking them here while walking. The Walking helped let me lose without a calorie reduction.

The Bottom Line is You can lose weight with Diet alone or with Diet and Walking. In My Opinion No matter how far You walk you also need to watch Your caloric intake. Walking alone with no other changes is not enough.

Good Luck
    Roger

That's awesome Roger :smile:

I sometimes feel like I've been doing all these for nothing, not losing weight and feeling bloated all the time.

Thank you for your input.
  • Chikachikaslimshady
    Options
    LoraMartyn wrote: »
    YES! I have lost 24 pounds watching my calories and walking as my only exercise :)

Hi Lora! Can I ask how long it took to lose that much?
  • Chikachikaslimshady
    Options
    a_m_c wrote: »
    I need support aswell. In the past year I have had part of my thyroid removed due to cancer, hysterectomy, and my left knee repaired almost 4 weeks ago. I have no energy and have gained so much weight :( I would like to feel better about myself and get back to healthy eating and exercise. My fitbit is not working, but will hopefully be getting a new one this week. I will happily add you!
    SW 162
    GW 130
    Allie

Hello Allie,

We have similar SW and GW. I'd love to lose weight with you :smile:
    Add me on fit bit when you get one.
  • Chikachikaslimshady
    Options
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    Yes! I have lost 34 lbs by tracking my calories & walking!

Could you please share your timeframe? Thank you :smile:
  • Chikachikaslimshady
    Options
    It's my main form of exercise,
    With waiting for knee replacement, running, squats and many other exercises are out of the question

DONT feel bad if that is what you can do.

Added you

Thanks Jackie. Keep up the motivation!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose weight with just the calorie deficit and no exercise.

Cardio is good for your health, in moderation.

And resistence training will extend the life of your joints and bones into older age. If you want to be youthful for life consider a little bit of resistence training.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i could use some more fitbit friends as well https://www.fitbit.com/user/4NRGHB feel free to add me!
  • marms1219
    marms1219 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started walking back in March and started logging my walking distances April 25th. I try to walk a minimum of 20-25 miles per week and have walked approximately 271 miles since then. I do some slow jogging at intervals sometimes and try to keep it around a 14 minute per mile average pace I started watching my calorie intake on April 18th and have lost 21 pounds in a little over 3 months. So yes, walking works, in fact I've become addicted and I miss it when I can't go. I walk outside in the SC heat in the evenings after work and yesterday dodged a few showers but I took my umbrella and soldiered on. I know I feel a lot better as well since I started so yes I definitely recommend it if you're physically able.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When I first started with MFP, I had a major knee injury, and couldn't walk anything more than a few steps a day. Each day I added a couple more steps, then started using Wii Walk It Out. I then started to use Wii running, even though I was never a runner before. Then after I bought a pair on Kangoo Jumps (they reduce the impact on knees by a tremendous amount), I was running 3-6 miles a day. I lost 108 inches and was doing a 5K in 27 minutes. We moved house, lots of stress and life happened. I put a lot of weight on as I wasn't walking or running.

I have Zombies Run!, which I really enjoy, but need to build up to running again. I am nursing a rotator cuff tear and frozen shoulder at the moment, but I try to do 8K or more steps a day. I hope to get back to my running.

I use my Fitbit and log my food, that is what I do at the moment. I have lost 17lb since the 2nd of June.

Please feel free to add me.

Wishing you the very best on your journey to a healthier happier you. :)
  • FindingLiz016
    FindingLiz016 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 45 just by walking and watching what I eat