Not getting it?

Options
The other day I changed my fitness profile to less exercise a week and then changed my mind to put it back like it was. It changed my calories to 1250 from 1430. I was just experimenting with the exercise part again and put 0 exercise a week and still have the 1250 calories. I guess my question is why didn't it return my calories to 1430 like they originally were when I put my exercise back like I originally had them.

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Are you sure everything else is the same? Ie...activity level, how much you want to lose per week, etc? Also, have you lost weight since you originally set up your account? I wonder if it would calculate your calories based on your new, lower, weight.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    When I change my exercise goals, it doesn't change a thing on my goal calories. It only changes that when I log actual exercise in the daily log.

Did you change your weight or how many pounds per week you want to lose? I'd check for other changes that you may have inadvertently made.
  • mamakathy
    mamakathy Posts: 130
    Options
    I thought that too but even if I put in that I'm exercising more it still leaves my calories the same at 1250.......
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Is it because you have a new 'current' weight??? and it's adjusting from there? The same thing happened to me after I lost a few pounds, I couldn't get it to go back to the way I started.
  • mamakathy
    Options
    Is it because you have a new 'current' weight??? and it's adjusting from there? The same thing happened to me after I lost a few pounds, I couldn't get it to go back to the way I started.

Could be but no matter how much I adjust my exercise times a week I still get the same amount of calories.
  • stepha1013
    stepha1013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine has only changed after logging in a new weight. If I have lost weight, my calories go down. I changed my exercise goals while at the same weight and it didn't change my daily calorie goal at all.

I agree with the others, it probably has something to do with how much you want to lose a week or a difference in your actual weight from the first time you changed it to the next time.
  • sadams977
    sadams977 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was told that you have to manually go in and re-do your goals everytime you weigh in and lose weight, it doesn't automatically change your calorie intake, maybe you hadn't updated since your last weigh-in and its an adjustment from that. :happy: Hope that helps!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    MFP does adjust to your new weight. I know mine goes down every time I mess with my goals, if I have lost even a few pounds. I also don't think it accounts for expected exercise when calculating your calorie goals. It just calculates them after you've done a workout.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    The program doesn't calculate how many calories you get based on how much exercise you say you are going to do. The calories are calculated based on your current weight and height (which it uses to figure how many calories you burn at rest, your BMR), your activity level (to get how many calories you actually burn in a normal day) and how many pounds per week you want to lose (will take 500 calories off your TDEE for each pound per week you want to lose). When you exercise and put it into your exercise tab it will add those calories back onto your goal for that day. You must have changed one of those factors to get it to change you the first time it changed.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    When I hit 20 lbs gone I got a message suggesting I reset my goals. And when I was messing with them before that, I couldn't get my original cals to come back either.
  • mamakathy
    Options
    Mine has only changed after logging in a new weight. If I have lost weight, my calories go down. I changed my exercise goals while at the same weight and it didn't change my daily calorie goal at all.

I agree with the others, it probably has something to do with how much you want to lose a week or a difference in your actual weight from the first time you changed it to the next time.

Ok! I've not had it change mine before now? 1250 just seems like too few calories a day. I was still loosing at 1430.
  • mamakathy
    Options
    When I hit 20 lbs gone I got a message suggesting I reset my goals. And when I was messing with them before that, I couldn't get my original cals to come back either.

That makes a little more sense. It has suggested I reset my goals before and I've declined because I was still losing. 1250 doesn't seem like enough calories.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you touch anything in there "and" have lost 10lb/5kg since you last run the wizard it will recalc your quota.

Exercise changes don't have anything to do with quota - exercise goals are just for motivation.

So my guess is, you have lost since last touching anything in the goals - that's why it dropped down - it didn't go back up when you changed exercise again because exercise didn't effect it in the first place.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
    ps. If you want you cals back up - you'll need to either adjust it manually or drop your weekly loss goal - to allow for your lower weight.