College Student Support

Options
millercia
millercia Posts: 2 Member
When I started school in the fall of 2014, I swore to not gain the infamous Freshman 15. I thought it'd be easy-salad bar for lunch, moderately healthy dinner, walking a couple miles around campus everyday. I was actually confused how anyone gained the Freshman 15 (ha!). What I didn't account for was the buffet of deserts you pass on the way to check out or how much cheaper it was to get literally anything other than salad. I also had excuses for everything and reasons to postpone a healthy diet. It's too hard to try and cook/eat healthy in the dorms, I already have an amazing boyfriend who loves me regardless of my pant size, it's too cold to workout, it's too hot to work out.
So sorry if this is too long or not how these posts are supposed to go. I am going into my 3rd and final year of school. I now have a kitchen and money to buy groceries, and my excuses have run out, but more importantly I just feel ready to be healthy. I have about 60lbs to lose. I started working out today and logging my food (trying out the 5 small meals a day for diet and looking at my macros). I am determined for this to be my last "first time" of starting over on a diet, exercise, weight loss plan, etc.
Does anyone relate to this? I would love to have some friends on here for accountability and support!

Replies

• SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I also gained weight at university. I started university at around 95lb (bare in mind I'm only 4'9) and got to my highest weight of 117lbs lbs (only just pushing me into the overweight category) during my last exam period.

I didn't much mind getting up to 105lbs as my clothes all still fit and I guess I just didn't notice at first, but those last 10 lbs did not sit well on me! I had the dreaded back fat.

I attribute the weight gain from 95-105lbs in my first 2 years of university to alcohol, it was ridiculous I was going through about a crate of beer a week + wine. I'm going into my final year of University this September too. I'm already down to 110lbs and plan to get back down to my original 95. Once I feel more comfortable in my appearance and body weight I'm going to start being more active socially. :)

Also looking at the figures I just posted I can totally see people looking at this thinking "wow that's hardly any weight gain at all". But because I'm so short, weight gain that wouldn't be noticeable on an average height person looks VERY noticeable on my small frame. I have less room to manoeuvre.
  • ehine1
    ehine1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh the memories of college and the cafeterias ... the devil in disguise >:) I graduated from High School weighing in at about 160lbs and by the time I graduated from College four years later I was about 190lbs. A lot of that was muscle, but certainly not all of it!
  • jalynwatson21
    jalynwatson21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not looking to lose weight, as I am a female bodybuilder. But I am also college aged, actually starting my third year in a few months. I mainly do strategic weightlifting, and I also post all my workouts. I'll add you guys.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Your story is so similar to mine. I gained about 30 pounds between freshman and sophomore year. At the start of my junior year, I decided to get serious about my lifestyle and dropped 50 pounds. I started running and cooking. I graduated this spring and I feel healthier and happier than ever. You can do it!
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    5kp0o8aae08u.jpeg

Before college --> after sophomore year (tons of weight gain!!) --> after junior year (running a 10 mile race)