July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Those dogs <3

@Somebody_Loved You are braver than I :p

@louubelle16 Your normal routes are going to feel easy now after those hills!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @shanaber great looking dogs, looks like so much fun in the water. One of my friends has a Vizsla and that dog has some major energy. Unfortunately he had a torn ACL and that surgery and recovery has really been hard on him. For a while she had a huge jogging stroller for him so he could still go along and enjoy the runs while he was recovering :)

It feels pretty nice out today, I'm hoping that holds out for run group workout tonight. Looks like we have short speed intervals on tap for tonight.

Great to see everyone coming up on their goals. I should make my 90 tonight, so I'm going to be like @greenolivetree and push for 100 this month.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @louubelle16 - I think it's a good idea so long as you can trust yourself to actually treat it as a training run. It's so easy once you get there to let your adrenaline take over and push harder than you should. That said, I did races leading up to my marathon and loved them - they eased my nerves for the upcoming marathon and I used them to practice getting up early, fueling, etc. Definitely see what the general consensus is, but I would go for it!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 - I would do the 20 mile race if I were you. Granted, I'm one of the few people who doesn't seem to get all amped up by the race day excitement--my training runs are sometimes faster than my actual race. Like last year when I ran a 11 mile training run for a half marathon one week, then did a 15K race the next week, and the first 15K of the training run was faster than when I ran the shorter distance as a race...Sigh...

@shanaber - Love the family photos!

I went out for another lunchtime run today. Same route as last time (approx. 3.6 miles in total), but I managed to run 3.1 today. Compared to 2.25 miles running last week, I'll take it. That's my longest post-surgery run to date. I averaged about an 11:30/mile pace for the running parts. Still much slower than my normal, but improving.

That puts me at 8.35 miles for the month. I think I'll manage to hit the 10 mile mark after all...
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16

20 miles is the magic number most plans call for as the longest run you need to do. I've always done at least 2 20 mile runs with the last one 3 weeks out from the race. As @Somebody_Loved said, don't let the atmosphere of the race suck you out of the gate too fast. Since this is your 1st marathon I'd be willing to bet that the pace of your last mile of that run would be a good pace to attempt in the actually marathon. I tried to run faster than I was ready for, and ultimately ran my first marathon at my average training pace. Nothing you do in training will prepare your for that 21-26 mile section and the more energy you save the better off you'll be.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom So far the only picture that I look good in is the one in my profile. And I staged it. In all pics from races I look awful :smiley:

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    July 1 - 7.7 km - 148/6:09
    July 2 - 5.8 km - 147/6:56
    July 3 - 11.6km - 151/6:22
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 7.0 km - 149/6:34
    July 6 - 6.5 km - 147/6:32
    July 7 - 4.4 km - 139/7:00
    July 8 - 5.7 km - ???/7:00
    July 9 - 6.0 km - 130/8:30
    July 10- 7.0 km - 146/5:54
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 9.0 km - 146/6:30
    July 13- 7.0 km - 157/6:00
    July 14- 7.7 km - 152/6:07
    July 15- 9.0 km - 155/6:20
    July 16- 7.0 km - 140/7:15
    July 17- 13.0km - 150/6:20
    July 18- 8.0 km - 135/7:30

End of base building - Type/Pace/km

July 19- 8.8 km - Reps/4:00
    July 20- 7.0 km - Easy/6:14
    July 21- 6.1 km - V.Easy/8:00
    July 22- 13.0km - RACE/4:55
    July 23- 4.5 km - V.Easy/7:40
    July 24- 6.0 km - Easy/6:30
    July 25- 3.4 km - Easy/6:27
    July 26- 9.0 km - Reps/4:00

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 I agree with the others on the training run
    @shanaber I missed that you met goal great job. I love the pictures - you can't get kids to sit like that ha ha
    @somebody_loved you look awesome no need to worry. I always wear a shirt, because I use it as a sweat rag LOL
    glad your knees are feeling better
    @ceciliaslater nice distance, glad you are recovering.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - I just noticed you're doing Beat the Blerch in Seattle! I'm so bummed - I signed up for a different half that weekend before I knew about Beat the Blerch so I'm going to miss it. :( I can't wait to see pictures from it, I bet you'll have a blast!

@Somebody_Loved - I am! Running it with my daughter who is just getting back into running. She is so excited and texts me everyday with how her runs have been and her progress. Her enthusiasm is so contagious!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Alright lady runners, I'm in the market for new sports bras and would love your recommendations. Not too pricey though, because I need to update my wardrobe completely. My current bras are too big. That's what I get for losing weight with all this running... :tongue:
  • shanaber
    Options
    @shanaber great looking dogs, looks like so much fun in the water. One of my friends has a Vizsla and that dog has some major energy. Unfortunately he had a torn ACL and that surgery and recovery has really been hard on him. For a while she had a huge jogging stroller for him so he could still go along and enjoy the runs while he was recovering :)

@katharmonic - V's are definitely high energy. I wanted a dog that could run with me most every day and he definitely can but for him it is not as much running as trotting/lopping along. You realize when you see them take off in open space that they have just been placating you with your slow runs all along lol. They are also one of the most loving 'people' dogs I have ever been around.
    I have heard about other dogs tearing their ACL too. It seems to be prevalent in the working dogs - pointers, australian shepherds, border collies. I have NEVER heard of anyone putting a big dog in a jogging stroller so it could run with them while injured - that is just awesome!

Thanks everyone for the comments on the pictures. It was such a fun day, I just had to share it!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Thank you!

@shanaber - Sounds like the perfect half to do together! My girlfriend just got back into running and we're doing the Lake Chelan Half together in September. We keep texting each other after every run and you're so right - the excitement is contagious!

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Nordstrom is having their anniversary sale right now and have a lot of "two for $36" deals. I like the Zella medium impact bras but it depends on how much support you need.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/anniversary-sale-womens-activewear?origin=leftnav&amp;cm_sp=Top Navigation-_-undefined&amp;top=99&amp;flexi=8000786_6000460|8000786_60176732
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Browsing the Nordstrom sale and found this: http://tinyurl.com/ha2ptlb
    Only one color option but not bad for $22!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I am in love with Marika sports bras. I don't know how much support you need. I am pretty small chested, so I can't speak for their line of support bras, but I have picked up a few at the Saks 5th Ave outlet and they are so comfy. I never get the chafing that other bras give me. And they have removable pads, which I like (they actually make me look like I have boobs). They are always my go to for my long runs and races when I need the comfort. Here is a ling to their website:

https://www.marika.com/categories/sports-bras-1

I have the Jackie and the Tessa, but it looks like they have a few others that might offer more support if that is what you are looking for. I have always paid less than $20 each at the outlets. It looks like they also have some at sale prices on their website.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Alright lady runners, I'm in the market for new sports bras and would love your recommendations. Not too pricey though, because I need to update my wardrobe completely. My current bras are too big. That's what I get for losing weight with all this running... :tongue:
    No would recommend shock absorbers - they are pricey but worth every penny - changed my life having such a good sports bra!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - I don't have much to support so I typically get the UA medium support bras from the outlet either online or at an outlet store. My daughter on the other hand who needs lots more support because she has lots more to support, loves the MovingComfort bras. She likes how they fit and that the ones she gets have hooks in the back like a regular bra so they are easier to get on and off/
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved @lporter229 @shanaber @Amandajs232 Thanks for the suggestions. I do need more support, so I'm going to start there with the brands you gave me. I appreciate the help!!! :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom So far the only picture that I look good in is the one in my profile. And I staged it. In all pics from races I look awful :smiley:

@adrianchr92 LOL! Great idea right there. I look like death, worse yet I look like I'm walking dead, not even running dead in my race pictures. I look so bad when I run that I saw one of my boss' on the greenway the other day and said hello and he had no idea it was me LOL
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So, I took a couple days off of the message board (and running) because of life, and I came back to over 250 unread posts. I briefly skimmed them. It seems like everyone is fairing pretty well in this heat, so go you!

I was going to go for a run after work, yesterday, but we had some nasty storms come through that started my on 12-minute drive home (go figure). They let up around 6:30, but it was still lightening and dark, so I thought it would be best to not chance it and stay in. Sunday was supposed to be my run day, but I mismanaged my time. I figured I'd clean my house for an hour or two to wake up before I went for a run, got so into doing things that there hours later, I realized what time it was. I had friends coming in the afternoon, and I knew I wasn't going to get my run in and a shower before they arrived (which I would have because they were a half hour late). They left around 7:30. I could have had a short run before it got dark (there are no street lights near my and I'm landlocked by two highways. I don't like running after dark), but I was so exhausted. Ugh. So, today is a 4-6 mile day, depending on how I feel. We'll see how it goes.

@Orphia: Assuming you are in Australia based on the fact that it's winter and there were some sort of eucalyptus or gumtree in your photos (and you refer to things as "jumpers" and "woolly"), what part of the country are you in?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @Somebody_Loved, @ceciliaslater, @5512bf & @skippygirlsmom, I think I will sign up. I'm also thinking it might help calm my nerves, as I'm TERRIFIED about the marathon, so psychologically having managed 20 miles in race conditions will probably do me the world of good. I think the fear alone will stop me going out too fast when treating this as a training run instead of a true race...
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm waaay behind on reading - - but posting my miles here before I catch up.

7/2....2.01 miles walk/run on treadmill
    7/4....2.7 miles walk/run in park
    7/6....2.5 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/9....2.7 miles walk/ penguin shuffle run in park
    7/11..2.68 miles walk/ run on Harvard's football field
    7/13..3 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/15..1.51 miles run/ walk (mostly running :smile: ) on treadmill
    7/17..3.9 miles run/ walk in park
    7/19..2.25 miles run/ walk on treadmill (approx .25 mi walk + 2 mi run)
    7/21..2.21 miles run/ walk/ swim ??? in the park
    7/26..2 miles walk/run/fetch with Pandora + 1.58 mile walk = 3.58 miles

Goal: 35 + 2 for Black Toe Month
    27.53 done, 9.47 to go

Upcoming races:
    10/16: Stride Against Violence 5K