Changing Mindset

Options
Hi All,

I am new on these board but have been on a mission this year to get fit and lose weight.

I started the year 93lbs heavier than I am now.

Started with Slimming World then took up running and moved to fitbit and calorie counting. As I reached my goal i signed up on MFP as I thought Macros would be better for me than calorie counting (although the link with fitbit and MFP is broken at the moment which is another challenge)

My problem is my mindset. I run about 30-40 miles a week over 4 runs, walk for 4 miles with dog in morning on days i am not running, rarely do less than 15K steps in a day - so I am pretty active on the burn... but I can't seem to get my head out of the must watch everything, must not let bad stuff pass my lips.

I want to be able relax and enjoy my lighter size, but to be honest I am not. I am so scared I will get fat again.

I eat OK probably about 2000 calories a day, nothing is fatty or processed.

Any one have any tips on changing the lose mindset to maintaining mindset?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You already named exactly what you need to do, change your mindset. It is as pretty simple as when thoughts run your mind, change the subject and think about something else. Only you can do this.

40 miles a week is a lot of miles. Any reason for this many miles? Are you in training?

Secondly besides the mental change, you really can still eat anything you want to, you deem it unhealthy and bad, and if X food does not make it on "your healthy list", then simply do not buy it, do not eat it. You make your own diet and you make your own choices.

For maintenance, you simply take all that you learned through weight loss and carry that right into maintenance. I am quite sure you made a lot of good changes along the way, maybe even make wiser food choices, you are well aware of how to eat and how much to not eat, so just carry that on into maintenance and eat within your maintenance calories (slowly incorporate calories back up maintenance if this will help you better than making a jump into more calories at once)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am rapidly becoming @StealthHealth stalker and biggest fan

Personally I would buy something I really want to eat, but might have stopped myself...log it so I have accounted for the calories and eat it with conscious attention, savouring it and accepting that because I am within my calories it is fine ..perhaps even telling myself out loud so that the ears hear the words and you get that reinforcement

Do that enough and your mindset will start to change

Also I would hazard a guess that 2000 might be a bit low for your TDEE...have you tried increasing calories? Your weight will fluctuate but will settle in a few weeks ..go for +100 calories for a few weeks then do it again
  • scottlwl
    scottlwl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

It sounds so simple out loud and my mouth can say those words about bad food, relaxing my mindset etc... But them my brain kicks into silent panic. Haha

I am trying to eat more. 2000 calories is more than I was eating a few weeks ago. I will aim to for 2200 on non running days and maybe 2600 or so on running days.

I am not training for anything, I just love running... The only pace I can filter out the noise of an over active mind. If that makes sense.? I do 10k Tues, Thurs and Friday. Then go for a long one on Sunday... Minimum of a half marathon. Working it out it is more nearer to 30 miles isn't it? Anyway. With that much activity I should be able to eat what I want right?

Tell that to my brain haha.... Wish me luck
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim mentioned a key term, TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - understanding that and your minimal nutritional needs to both loose and maintain weight is important - consistently under eating (which I know I have a bad habit of doing) is as bad as consistently over-eating. There are free online calculators you can use to do an estimate that takes into account energy level (I had my confirmed via a physiological test and the online calculator was within about 50cal of what the lab folks told me).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I am rapidly becoming @StealthHealth stalker and biggest fan

Hahaha... pretty awesome yourself there @Sued0nim ... don't think we haven't noticed you dishing out the good advice and common sense ;)

@scottlwl good luck, but you can do it. It's a head game. Just take that 1st bite and keep a cool head.

• 1sgs
    1sgs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You could also do a bit of education on food advertising. Fat has got a bad rap for many years, mostly through advertising. A little education on food and their effects helped me to understand more about what I eat. Good luck and great job on the transformation to a better life.
  • scottlwl
    Options
    Sued0nim mentioned a key term, TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - understanding that and your minimal nutritional needs to both loose and maintain weight is important - consistently under eating (which I know I have a bad habit of doing) is as bad as consistently over-eating. There are free online calculators you can use to do an estimate that takes into account energy level (I had my confirmed via a physiological test and the online calculator was within about 50cal of what the lab folks told me).

I just did a tdee calculator and it was a little more than mfp said I needed. And I have been consistently under that by 1000 calories for months.....

Strong thoughts Scott.... You can do this

Thanks you everyone you are a helpful bunch
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i know it seems insane, but when i started eating to my TDEE I started noticing body composition changes and my energy when it comes to working out
  • scottlwl
    Options
    I see.... So I might even be able to run further?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    scottlwl wrote: »
    I see.... So I might even be able to run further?

Further, faster and longer...it's all about progression after all

Fuel your body appropriately and it can do amazing things

Enjoy!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My problem is my mindset. I run about 30-40 miles a week over 4 runs, walk for 4 miles with dog in morning on days i am not running, rarely do less than 15K steps in a day - so I am pretty active on the burn... but I can't seem to get my head out of the must watch everything, must not let bad stuff pass my lips.

I want to be able relax and enjoy my lighter size, but to be honest I am not. I am so scared I will get fat again.

Any one have any tips on changing the lose mindset to maintaining mindset?

Congratulations on your weight loss. I think your mindset is completely appropriate. Seven months is not necessarily long enough completely to internalize these habits. It can take years. Think of all the people who quickly regain weight because they revert to their old habits.

Stay calm, reflect on the good you've done in working on your eating and exercise goals. If you have some set meals whose calorie content is certain, make them so you don't have to worry about calculating calories. Try something like meditation or mindful eating. Hang out with other people who've accomplished a big weight loss who would rather die than put the weight back on.

You can struggle to keep the weight off, or struggle to lose it again if you regain it. Either way, there will be a struggle.

Re getting fat again. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
  • scottlwl
    Options
    Thank you again everyone for the advice... Such a lovely and supportive community
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Having lost a lot and gained it back, I would not advise to NOT relax just yet. Yes, enjoy your lighter size, but keep doing what you were doing when you lost weight, and just eat more calories of the same healthy foods you've been enjoying. Keep tracking, keep running and keep logging. That doesn't mean don't have the treats you enjoy -- just be vigilant.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat less healthy food, approach it the same people do when trying to add healthier food--small steps. Add one or two new items each week to give your brain a chance to gradually get used to the new approach.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

It sounds so simple out loud and my mouth can say those words about bad food, relaxing my mindset etc... But them my brain kicks into silent panic. Haha

I am trying to eat more. 2000 calories is more than I was eating a few weeks ago. I will aim to for 2200 on non running days and maybe 2600 or so on running days.

I am not training for anything, I just love running... The only pace I can filter out the noise of an over active mind. If that makes sense.? I do 10k Tues, Thurs and Friday. Then go for a long one on Sunday... Minimum of a half marathon. Working it out it is more nearer to 30 miles isn't it? Anyway. With that much activity I should be able to eat what I want right?

Tell that to my brain haha.... Wish me luck

Ever considered meditation? Seriously. Doesn't have to be spiritual. And keep running! ;)