calorie level

Options
How do you know what calorie level is best for you to start out on....I have tried a few different levels but seem to go over the level amount... It's been trial and error for me

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I went with what MFP recommended.

When you say you're going over, do you mean you're accidentally going over or that you feel so hungry that you are eating more than you meant to? Or something else?
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Perhaps ease into it by starting at maintenance level, and gradually lower by 100 kcals till where you feel comfortable. However, comfortable feels different If you are used to overeating.
  • cindygogle75
    cindygogle75 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm tending to eat more than I should I'm still hungry and what level is considered maintainance level
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm tending to eat more than I should I'm still hungry and what level is considered maintainance level

Maintenance level is your TDEE (google TDEE calculator).

If you're hungry on your calorie goals you're either not eating enough or should switch up your macros. The types of foods you're eating may just not be filling you up/ not satiating.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Pick one and adjust from there. If you give us your stats, height, weight, activity level, exercise, weight loss goal, we can help you pick one to start at.

If you are hungry it can be a few things.
    1. Your weight loss goal might be too low for you and your activity level.
    2. You may need to adjust your macro levels and eating habits. Some people do better with a number of smaller meals, so do well with fewer larger meals. Also, protein and fat can satiate. You may need to play with that intake level. Some people do better on volume, large amount of low calorie foods (for me, this doesn't work).
    3. You may not actually be hungry and you may just need to work on that.
  • cindygogle75
    cindygogle75 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My stats are 5'3 currently 196lbs goal weight is 140lbs my activity level is mostly sitting all day I don't really know of any beginners exercise programs to start but I try to walk as much as I can.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you want to give a keto lifestyle a go checkout the calculator at http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/. I didn't know you're body fat percentage so plugged in 33% and got the following,
    1663 kcal Daily Calorie Intake in Total
    Broken down as,
    20 g Net Carbs (5%, 80 kcal)
    78 g Protein (19%, 312 kcal)
    141 g Fat (76%, 1271 kcal)
    It is the fat and protein that will stave off the hunger. There's lots of online reading about this.
    Also remember that as you loose weight you need to reassess the daily calorie intake - a leaner body requires less.
    Hope this is useful information.
    Good luck with achieving your goal :-)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Set your deficit on MFP to lose 1 or 1.5 lbs a week. Eat the calorie amount it tells you, not lower.
    If you keep going over your goal-
    Weigh your food with s digital scale, liquids with measuring cups.
    Pre plan your day so you know how many calories to eat.

Cheers, h.