Eating Healthy While Traveling

Options
Hi everyone! I will be going out of town to visit family for 4 days, which will include 2 days on the road. Hoping to make up some things ahead of time to bring for meals.

What are your tips for maintaining healthy eating while traveling, but also when it won't be quite as easy to plan out my meals?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I try to know the menu (somewhat) of a number of fast food places. And for major chains that's easy enough. Aim for easy snacks like raw veggies, nuts, dried fruit. Those are things you can weigh and portion into little baggies ahead of time. And for meals made by others if you have no control, just aim for wise decisions. Avoid creamy sauces. Eat lean meat, veggies. And feel free to ask questions about how things are made.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I stop at grocery stores instead of fast food places. Good chance to take a break, stretch my legs and get some real food. Takes just as much time overall, and saves tons of money.

When I get to where I'm going, I buy food for my stay and don't go out to eat much (because anything they can make, I can make better! Hahaha :))
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try to find a KFC if I have to do fast food. There grilled chicken with green beans is not too bad.
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually cook stuff before I go. Chicken breast, veggies, hamburger patty, hard hoiled eggs, etc. Also cut up fruit and various snacks to eat on the go. Can heat up in hotel rooms with the microwave or eat cold. Always take popcorn to snack on also.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I try to find a KFC if I have to do fast food. There grilled chicken with green beans is not too bad.

Or Chick-Fil-A! They have great low-cal options, especially grilled chicken nuggets.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I also like Wendy's chili(small)or subway for a small sandwich(check calories) or salad
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

Or Chick-Fil-A! They have great low-cal options, especially grilled chicken nuggets.

I love both of these options.

If you aren't crossing state lines where fruit is an issue, whole fruit is a great option for on the road. I also buy beef jerky when we travel. Protein bars are great for a quick meal or snack. You could make sandwiches for the first day or pack the fixings for sandwiches for day two (so the bread doesn't get soggy). Mason jar salads.

I travel for work 3 times per year, 12 days at a time. It can be a challenge, that's for sure!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When we are traveling by car I try to keep breakfast as similar to home as possible in terms of what and quantity. This means simple scrambled eggs or oatmeal for me. I don't load them up with cheese, brown sugar, etc.

For lunches we try to stop at a grocery and then find a park so we can be outside and move around a bit, especially in the summer. The grocery stop makes it easy to load up on lean protein, veggies, & fruit. Roasted chicken and pea pods/carrots are always available. by the eggs there are usually already hardboiled eggs. We drink tons of water and stop at rest stops as opposed to gas stations, better to not go in there.

Snacks in the car are kind of dangerous for me. I can down a ton of little nibbles over 500 or so miles. So, I have a not eating in the car rule. If I had to snack, I would look for prepped raw vegies, fruit or maybe limited volumes of nuts.

by dinner, we are usually ready to sit and have dinner like civilized folks. I will try to order lean protein & veggie centered dishes. What the sauces & dressings or have them on the side. Ask for no bread bowl on the table. If I were going to have a splurge, it's usually at dinner. Maybe something that I cannot get at home or a regional specialty.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I travel, and that is nearly always by vehicle, I eat out of a cooler replenishing ice as needed and with the help of a camp stove plus some kitchen items like a food scale, cutlery, knives, cutting board, plate, bowls, pot, a way to wash it all.

My go-to menu is:

B: two hard boiled large eggs and a Nature's Path cherry pomegranate pop tart/overnight oatmeal with fruit topping/homemade pumpkin muffin with butter and tea + cream
    L: foil pouch or cured meat (or PB&J wrap), nuts, an orange/other fruit/tomato, and water or unsweetened iced tea
    D : two ham and cheese sourdough dinner rolls with mustard, sliced fresh veggies with jalapeño ranch, and a homemade brownie with tea + cream for dessert.

All that for 1,500-1,700 calories a day depending on the vegetables/fruit chosen.

If I need/want a snack, I'll bring a bag of orange ginger chews and allot 4-6 or so a day. Or I'll plan and budget for guacamole or salsa with corn tortilla chips (portioned out at home).
  • ehine1
    ehine1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Certainly isn't easy. I often travel for a week for work and we usually go out to eat each night. If you're in the same boat I would just recommend ordering first. If you order first you won't be as tempted to order something you'd rather avoid as you'll already have placed your order.