Trying to create filling, cheap, low-calorie salads

localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
Hi there, I'm trying to design some really filling + cheap salads to take to work, so far i came up with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/269661277835181 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/270073607319165 And they still aren't very filling, I'm trying not to go above the 400 calorie mark, and tips?
Really appreciate it!

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Are you opposed to meat-replacements? I make a taco salad that my husband and I both love. He's a meat-eater but he likes it because it is low enough calorie-wise for him to eat a huge salad as a "side" to his meal (yes, I'm jealous of how much he can eat!). I love it because it's really big, and totally fills me up for a long time.

brd29hvgzemc.jpg

I make my own taco seasoning with cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper and mix that into the "meat" as it's cooking, as well as mix it into the greek yogurt for a spicy "sour cream" alternative. I throw the beans into the meat while it's cooking. Then I use salsa as a salad dressing. You get a lot of "meat" topping for your calories, because it's not real meat, and so you could even add more if you choose to, or add some other toppings!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I can't see your recipes, unfortunately. That link tries to find the recipes in my own recipe area.

If cheap is a major criteria for your salad ingredients shop for what's in season and on sale and get creative. Use leftovers from your dinner meal. I almost always cook an extra chicken breast, ground beef, piece of beef, etc. when I make dinner and can then use it for lunch the next day or two. Eggs are cheap, boil up a few and then slice them into your salad. Grated cheese. Chopped veggies of all kinds: celery, cucumber, radishes, etc. can usually be found at a dollar store or on sale at your local grocer. Add nuts or tortilla strips. Beans of all kinds are cheap and can be added: kidney, garbanzo, black, white, etc. So can corn kernels.
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Are you opposed to meat-replacements? I make a taco salad that my husband and I both love. He's a meat-eater but he likes it because it is low enough calorie-wise for him to eat a huge salad as a "side" to his meal (yes, I'm jealous of how much he can eat!). I love it because it's really big, and totally fills me up for a long time.

brd29hvgzemc.jpg

I make my own taco seasoning with cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper and mix that into the "meat" as it's cooking, as well as mix it into the greek yogurt for a spicy "sour cream" alternative. I throw the beans into the meat while it's cooking. Then I use salsa as a salad dressing. You get a lot of "meat" topping for your calories, because it's not real meat, and so you could even add more if you choose to, or add some other toppings!

Do you have an open diary for your friends? If so, I want to send you a friend request. I am transitioning to a plant based diet and I absolutely love it!! But I am looking for meal/food ideas that don't revolve around meat or animal products.
  • lkeene404
    lkeene404 Posts: 3 Member
    Here are a few:
    www.foodiecrush.com/strawberry-and-avocado-spinach-salad-with chicken (396 cal without the chicken)
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/tuna-avocado-egg-salad (226 cal)
    www.skinnytaste.com/watermelon-jicama-and-cucumber-salad (113 cal)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Honestly... salads never fill me up. But your best bet is to load it up with veggies, protein, and have some fat in there too (nuts, cheese).

I do taco salads too with lettuce, onion, peppers (I cook those first), ground meat, lots of salsa, beans, avocado, bit of cheese.

My favorite has arugula, beets, smoked salmon, and goat cheese (probably more filling with walnuts or pecans) with some red wine/Dijon mustard dressing.

A cobb salad won't be too bad either - chicken, egg, bit of bacon, blue cheese, lots of greens.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    The more fiber and protein you put into it, the fuller you will feel. Lots and lots of vegetables will do the trick.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    I know this isn't salad--however, I make a crustless quiche of some kind every Sunday morning so I can have a slice with my lunch. Most of my slices average around 100 calories (I cut my quiche into 4 slices). I consistently use 1 cup of egg substitute (no all egg whites), a 4 ounce can of mushrooms, a cup of some kind of veggie (broccoli, spinach, squash, etc) and very little cheese--about a quarter cup shredded, or 2 ounces crumbled goat or feta. I put all my extras in the pan, then put seasonings and egg top. Really good, with a salad. If I don't have quiche, I always 3 ounces of a good protein (chicken, turkey) to my salads with lots of low calorie veggies.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    If I eat just a veggie salad I am never full! However Perdue makes a great already cooked chicken (https://www.perdue.com/products/perdue-short-cuts-carved-chicken-breast-grilled-16-oz/161/) that I can toss on it. It's only 90 calories for 4 oz. Then I toss on some cheese and half a boiled egg. Very filling, So for me- baby red or frilled lettuce, peppers, carrots, cheese, chicken, half a boiled egg.