How do you all cope on an 'All Inclusive Holiday'??

kmaf2016
kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
Hi Everyone

So far since the end of May I've lost 8lb on MFP which I am super chuffed about. I first did MFP in January 2015 to August 2015 when I got married and did really well, joined the gym, started doing classes, running twice a week, lost numerous amounts of inches and I'm actually 8lb lighter today than was I was when I got married :-)

My mindset about food is getting better, so much better, some might say I could do better but I'm happy with my progress but I go away in two weeks on an all inclusive holiday and although I'm super excited, I just don't want to start going over board with my eating just because its all inclusive as I do tend to do this, you know, big fryups but then numerous amounts of toast, croissants etc which I would never normally eat haha!

How do I conquer this fear and try and get in that mindset of "just because its all inclusive, doesn't mean your belly is bigger so you can eat more"....The holidays where I have done this I just end up feeling bloated and awful!!

Any tips/advice would be so much appreciated.

x

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    You're on holiday, so you've got loads of time to exercise.

You should be able to rack up some nice burns to earn some lovely holiday treats.

Enjoy it all!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    For the last all inclusive I went on I fasted until my evening meal on most days. For some this could be seen as a waste of the "all inclusive" aspect of the holiday but my family still benefited from that aspect and I ate whatever I wanted in the evening. I really enjoyed that holiday and maintained weight within a few lbs.

If this is impractical or unappealing I would suggest some rules might help (make up your own but something like):
    • Breakfast = 1 plate of food. No return visits. Drop the fruit juice in favour of Tea/Coffee/water.
    • No snacks during the day.
    • No daytime alcohol.
    • One Dessert per day.
    • 45 mins walking per day.

Another thing I do when travelling is that I do not eat on planes - at all (although I always have a tomato juice from the drinks trolley). Not even the transatlantic flights I've done. Airline food doesn't appeal to me (I think I read somewhere that our sense of taste is dulled at altitude so maybe that is it) but the saved calories come in handy.

Have a great holiday :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I would enjoy it with no worries and get back to work once the holiday has ended. You do what you think is best for YOU though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    The first time you go on vacation will be a challenge when first "dieting". This is no lie. Your fears of gaining weight and possibly over doing it are normal. You do not have to give your self permission to overdo anything you do not want to do. Realistically if you are true to your goals, you will already know what sort of choices you want to make when eating out, drinking and exercising. Just let your self be as natural about this as you can be, and what you must NOT do is put shame and guilt on your self about any choice you make. This is sure to make you and others around you a bit miserable and not enjoy the holiday.

Please try to enjoy it and not overthink this too much.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 350 Member
    edited July 2016
    I was on an all-inclusive week last December; I used MFP & my FitBit the entire time. I tracked my food; had to estimate because I didn't have my scales, but didn't use it as an excuse to pig out & chose smaller portions; had big salads & veg for lunch, didn't eat loads of sweets/desserts. I don't drink much, so having a glass or 2 of wine or a shandy was my big treat. Took my running shoes so did loads of power-walking, jogging, etc to rake up some exercise calories. Still lost a lb.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I was on an all-inclusive week last December; I used MFP & my FitBit the entire time. I tracked my food; had to estimate because I didn't have my scales, but didn't use it as an excuse to pig out & chose smaller portions; had big salads & veg for lunch, didn't eat loads of sweets/desserts. I don't drink much, so having a glass or 2 of wine or a shandy was my big treat. Took my running shoes so did loads of power-walking, jogging, etc to rake up some exercise calories. Still lost a lb.

Running when on holiday is a great way to see a different slice of local life - especially early morning runs.

I run a lot less that I used to but I still get some early morning runs in on holiday just for the sight seeing aspect.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I tend to eat a lot and also move a lot but accept I will have a significant weight gain. Could be as much as 1lb a day but about half of that is just temporary bloating which goes within a few days.

Why not have the "big fry-up" one day and the "numerous amounts of toast, croissants etc" the next day?
    Going back for more at the same sitting is the bigger issue than just enjoying the food. Enjoyment but without gluttony.

Making sensible (or maybe semi sensible) alcohol choices can have a big impact on your total calorie load.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Don't worry about it *too* much, it's your holiday. But don't go crazy either. Use your calories on the foods you really enjoy rather than mindlessly going back for more so-so food, just cos it's there. Do extra walking or go for a run. Or you could have 2 meals: a late breakfast, no lunch, and more calories to spend on dinner. Switch to vodka or gin to keep your alcohol calories down.
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    There is no harm in taking a week of from your diet, especially now that you know how to put things right when you get back.

That said, if you really don't want to have re-lose the weight you've already lost just bear that mind every time you put something extra on your plate.

Either way enjoy it, life is for living not for feeling guilty!! Have a lovely time.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    don't worry about it. if you start focusing on it, you'll do exactly what you don't want to do - overeat. just keep doing what you're doing; exercise, log your food, count your calories... and relax. you're on holiday. if you want to drink during the day, stick to spirits and try for low cal mixers. you'll probably find that being somewhere hot (assuming) you'll not be in the mood to eat loads so listen to your body and if you're hungry, eat in moderation, if you're not, don't.

have a fab time, and don't stress is.
  • kmaf2016
    kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks everyone. Its all great advice. I'm going for two weeks, I am super excited. I just keep thinking to myself just because I'm in a different country doesn't mean I can eat more haha! But I am also one of these people that does put shame/guilt on themselves when I'm not focused.

Of course I want to enjoy it, its the only family holiday we get a year and I love them, especially with my son and husband.

I think I need to stop thinking about it so much and just go for the healthier options....If I can do it here each day then surely I can do it there... :-)

Thanks Everyone!
    x
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    If you can use one more opinion: it sounds as if you go on all inclusive resort trips occasionally (more than just this one). If I were going, here is my imaginary self talk: this will not be the last time I will be at an all you can inhale resort...there will always be more food, more booze...I can choose to be picky, it doesn't mean I am wasting money. I want to feel good and enjoy myself. I can always get more if I want it later.
  • I've done AI once (14 nights in Mexico), and it was ridiculous, inventing new times for food like I was a Hobbit - 3pm became 'Pizza slice' time, 4pm was 'ice cream time' etc - it was gluttony on an epic, tasty, guacamole and pork-pibil filled level.

So I don't book AI anymore, as I am still carrying around 4 extra kilos from a holiday I took almost 6 years ago - it never went away!

So the only advice is to walk loads and exercise self-restraint where possible, don't drink too much as this is where you'll be taking in extra calories (and hangovers in the heat, yucky)
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,079 Member
    On Holidays I just have fun & don't have a care in the world about how much food & drink that I consume. Life is too short & you have the other 50 weeks of the year to be disciplined... :smiley:
  • WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    Go, have fun, be a bad-*kitten* food rebel and stick to your guns while you're there! Vacation is about more than just food though. Fill it with activities or meditation or reading or painting or dancing and stuff. And if you know AI are too damn tempting, then next year, go somewhere that won't interfere with your goals. If you got a good thing going, keep it going!
    Me personally, I just wouldn't go lol XD
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    edited July 2016
    As someone above said, just remember that you don't have to pile your plate high with everything at once because it will be there on the next mealtime!

Personally I find I eat quite healthy on AI holidays as there's something about buffets that overwhelm me and I end up taking salads, veg and seafood because it's easy (and I don't eat chips with everything etc etc at home anyway). It's the booze that's my downfall! ETA - and I don't skimp on the booze...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    A lot of good advice already. I am another that tries to get in exercise every morning, enjoy myself, but with some restraint, and try to remember that holidays are so infrequent, they really are meant to be enjoyed without letting a few lbs of temporary weight gain stress me out before, during, or after the trip.

One thing I try to do when hitting the buffet that has helped me control my intake: I walk around the entire buffet and look at all the options without a plate in my hand so I can prioritize what I want to eat. When I pick up a plate at the very first station, and just start filling up with whatever I see that looks good, or even just looks ok, I know I'm either going to pile that plate so high it's ridiculous or I'm going to want to go back multiple times just to eat my way through. By previewing everything first I can see that they have some amazing cook to order dish at one station, so why bother grabbing the mass produced chicken and rice at another for example. That way too I've already seen the desserts so I know what looks good at that station and that helps me save room from the main courses.

Also at all inclusive resorts I try to do as many of the sit down restaurants for dinner as possible, instead of a buffet. I usually find the food is better and the portion sizes are more like what I would eat at a restaurant at home.

Enjoy!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I would eat ALL the food, and worry about the weight gain when i got home.

I gained 5lbs last time i did a weeks all inclusive.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Don't waste calories on mediocre food... that's my manta now, lol. The last few times I was at a buffet, I ended up eating just a bite of a lot of things, because it just wasn't that good...
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    I just got back from one.

My rules were...
    maximum one dessert a day
    don't forget about the veggies
    don't forget to drink enough water
    if it looks better than it tastes I don't have to finish it
    if I get full don't continue eating.

One plate of food ended up being enough most of the time, I ate a variety of things I wouldn't normally, and came home at the same weight, thanks in part to increased activity level.